Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2020 2:51:03 PM EDT
Someone local to me is offering me his black M82A1 (29") with a NF BR 12-42x56 and about 200 rounds of ammo for $8500.  It's 5 years old and has seen minor use.  I've owned an M99, but sold it a decade ago and haven't really kept up with the 50 BMG market, trends and current value.  Includes the original case, 1 mag, cleaning kit, etc.

Is this a fair value?  Anything in particular I should be looking for?  Any recalls or fixes that may need to be done on the M82A1?  I had one that Barrett did for my M99 years ago.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds decent enough to me
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 4:03:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I would consider that a fair deal. The scope and ammo alone are worth $2k if you were to buy today.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 4:39:38 PM EDT
[#3]
All that for $8500 is a pretty good deal.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok.  I pulled the trigger on the deal and will pick up on Monday.  He's including some "additional items" with it.  I'm a bit excited.  Never touched, much less fired an M82A1.  I did kick myself for selling my M99 though.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 9:02:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Sou is like a good deal to me.

What's the barrel life expectancy on these things.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 8:15:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Have fun. As mentioned outside of a fantastic deal that certainly seems pretty decent. They hold their value pretty well. I got a smoking deal on a 82 on a new one but then had to pay tax and transfer on it.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sou is like a good deal to me.

What's the barrel life expectancy on these things.
View Quote

longer than most people's budget
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Ended up buying it.  Got this package for $8K and picked it up today.

Guy changed hobbies to aquariums and was looking to raise money.  I was flabbergasted with all the extras tossed in.  The ammo in boxes is all factory ammo.  First two ammo cans are loaded ball ammo and silver tip.  The last 50 cal box is all silver tip bullets.  The 2 USPS boxes are filled with more silver tip bullets.  The bucket is half full of used 50 BMG brass.  Oh, and to give credit where credit is due:  it was my wife's idea to buy it!
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Well done...
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 3:25:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Now you need 5 - 10 more magazines. Nice buy BTW
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't follow the .50 rifles in much detail, but damn that is one fine looking rifle and stuff.  I'd love to have one of those, outstanding work OP!  Do you have some place to shoot it?  My range here in SW says "no .50 allowed"
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would consider that a fair deal. The scope and ammo alone are worth $2k if you were to buy today.
View Quote

Quoted:
Ended up buying it.  Got this package for $8K and picked it up today.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50744732676_95f849f13a_k.jpg

Guy changed hobbies to aquariums and was looking to raise money.  I was flabbergasted with all the extras tossed in.  The ammo in boxes is all factory ammo.  First two ammo cans are loaded ball ammo and silver tip.  The last 50 cal box is all silver tip bullets.  The 2 USPS boxes are filled with more silver tip bullets.  The bucket is half full of used 50 BMG brass.  Oh, and to give credit where credit is due:  it was my wife's idea to buy it!
View Quote

I take it back... That was an exceptional deal. Very nice!
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 3:48:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Well done OP!
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 12:35:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Awesome deal
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 12:47:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 12:49:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks.  I'm super-happy with the purchase.  

The only parts I'm thinking of trying to sell locally are the ~1K of silver tip bullets and the bucket of brass.  While I I reload other calibers, I'm not sure I am ready to buy more and start loading for .50 BMG.

Are the bulk silver tip (API?) and brass worth much?
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 1:04:00 AM EDT
[#16]
That looks like more than 200 Rds
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 1:09:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That looks like more than 200 Rds
View Quote
It is!

I think the 50 cal ammo cans hold 100 rounds each - those are ball reloads and API reloads.

The factory ammo is American Eagle X33 660gr (about 120 rounds) and Hornady A-Max 750gr (about 160 rounds) and some PMC X-TAC (20 rounds), PMC Bronze (10 rounds) and Ted Nugent brand (10 rounds).

Then, a crazy amount of reloading components; ~1K of silver tip API, bucket of brass...
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 2:02:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Wow, nice turnkey setup for 8k!  I would say you have a good $1500 just in ammo.   I would suggest just hanging on to the silver tip bullets.  They are the most common surplus but they are steadily getting higher in price and we are likely to never see them available to the public in the future.  Even if you don't plan on reloading yourself the silver tips are nice to have and when the supply eventually dries up they will add great value to your setup. Just hide those away for a rainy day.  Enjoy your new rifle !!
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 3:20:58 PM EDT
[#19]
I assume the silvertips are pulls.  They are super-dirty.  Are these worth spraying down with a hose and then dropping them in my reloading tumbler?  Or is that a no-no for API bullets?
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 3:46:38 PM EDT
[#20]
@jtb33

You got a killer deal.
The API pulls are worth ~$0.35 each, once fired brass is $0.5-1 depending on the head stamp & condition.
I would not sell any of it as the supply of 50 components is slowly dwindling and who knows what the future will bring as far as new gun restrictions.
You can tumble API no problem so clean them up if you want.  If you want to reload, and you will if you shoot a lot, buy the Lee 50BMG reloading kit. Cheap and decent quality. Pickup some surplus powder & primers now and keep it for when you decide to reload. Surplus powder can be had for $50-75 8 lb jug compare that to ~$200/8lb for new commercial 50BMG powder. You get ~250 loads per 8lbs of powder so don't think one 8 lb jug is sufficient, buy in cases of 4-6 jugs.
This is not a cheap hobby but using surplus components you can reload for $1/round or less. If/when the surplus components dry up it will be more like $3 a round.

API can start fires but they are not that bad if you limit your target area to rocks/dirt. Tracers on the other hand are like launching road flares and WILL start fires even when you think the backstop is OK. They love to ricochet and are very entertaining until you see smoke & fire 1000+ yards down range.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 3:52:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
@jtb33

You got a killer deal.
The API pulls are worth ~$0.35 each, once fired brass is $0.5-1 depending on the head stamp & condition.
I would not sell any of it as the supply of 50 components is slowly dwindling and who knows what the future will bring as far as new gun restrictions.
You can tumble API no problem so clean them up if you want.  If you want to reload, and you will if you shoot a lot, buy the Lee 50BMG reloading kit. Cheap and decent quality. Pickup some surplus powder & primers now and keep it for when you decide to reload. Surplus powder can be had for $50-75 8 lb jug compare that to ~$200/8lb for new commercial 50BMG powder. You get ~250 loads per 8lbs of powder so don't think one 8 lb jug is sufficient, buy in cases of 4-6 jugs.
This is not a cheap hobby but using surplus components you can reload for $1/round or less. If/when the surplus components dry up it will be more like $3 a round.

API can start fires but they are not that bad if you limit your target area to rocks/dirt. Tracers on the other hand are like launching road flares and WILL start fires even when you think the backstop is OK. They love to ricochet and are very entertaining until you see smoke & fire 1000+ yards down range.
View Quote
Great info - thank you.  I do have the storage space for the components, so maybe I will just keep them.  Any idea where I can find the surplus powder and 50 BMG primers?  I see the Lee Reloading kit is very reasonably priced at around $250 from Midway...
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Great info - thank you.  I do have the storage space for the components, so maybe I will just keep them.  Any idea where I can find the surplus powder and 50 BMG primers?  I see the Lee Reloading kit is very reasonably priced at around $250 from Midway...
View Quote

For powder I suggest WC860 or similar. Works well with military pulldowns, AP, API, FMJ etc.
Primers are CCI #35
http://patsreloading.com/patsrel3/Items.aspx
https://www.gibrass.com/gunpowder.html

If you are in the Phoenix area call ThunderBird Cartridge Co. I have paid $250/1000 on primers and $50/8lb for powder. Pick it up and avoid the shipping.

@jtb33
I'm in the Prescott area, drop me an IM if you need help on reloading.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 11:47:48 PM EDT
[#23]
That is a hell of a deal.  I mean.. Like real absolute jealousy LOL

Congrats.  Now buy ya a can and be completely kitted :-D
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 12:02:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That is a hell of a deal.  I mean.. Like real absolute jealousy LOL

Congrats.  Now buy ya a can and be completely kitted :-D
View Quote
Unfortunately, this model of the M82A1 can't be suppressed without voiding the warranty and potentially damaging it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 11:13:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Unfortunately, this model of the M82A1 can't be suppressed without voiding the warranty and potentially damaging it.
View Quote

The warranty issue doesn’t matter for you; it’s one year for the original purchaser only.

That said, remove the accelerator if you get a can.  It will increase the recoil.  Consider handloading.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 2:15:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The warranty issue doesn't matter for you; it's one year for the original purchaser only.

That said, remove the accelerator if you get a can.  It will increase the recoil.  Consider handloading.
View Quote
Heard the same from Barrett - suppressors on the M82 crank up the recoil and can lead the rifle to beat itself up and do things like shear the bolt handle clean off.

I've been curious about the new Surefire Socom 50. It has a brake on the end of the baffle stack, not unlike the Barrett QDL, that may still have some recoil reducing properties. Looks like a better brake than what's on the QDL but I've not tested them.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 4:26:57 PM EDT
[#27]
No intent or desire to suppress this.  I have plenty of other suppressors from 300WM all the way down to .22LR and lots of host guns should I feel the need to suppress something.

Going to have to ask for a Lee 50 BMG Reloader kit for Christmas.  Oh...  wait...  
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 4:56:56 PM EDT
[#28]
That is an awesome deal, very nice. Did you only get one mag?
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 5:00:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That is an awesome deal, very nice. Did you only get one mag?
View Quote
Yep - only one mag.  That's my next hunt is to find a decent deal for one more mag.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 1:55:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 10:13:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yep - only one mag.  That's my next hunt is to find a decent deal for one more mag.
View Quote

One ?
It's a semi auto.
Do you have one spare mag for your AR(s) ?
You can trade some of the silver tipped projos for some ball to reload, after you run out of your other ammo.
While it isn't the most accurate rifle for ELR, you have the ability to keep sending them and that's worth the price of admission.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 4:40:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Got two mags for it now, sold the NF BR model and am going to put a Vortex PST FFP 6-24x50 on it for now.  I know the rail has 27 MOA built in.  The scope has 65 MOA elevation adjustment total, which I assume means that mechanical zero is right around 32 MOA, which means that I cannot realistically use the LaRue 50 BMG scope mount since it has 30 MOA built in.

What are some other quick release 30mm mounts that are M82A1/50 BMG approved that are around that pricepoint?
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Why QD? Just put a good set of rings on.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 7:25:53 PM EDT
[#34]
You are one lucky son of a bitch for that deal. Enjoy!!!! Use it wisely! I miss my 50BMG. Wasn't a barrett but had fun with it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You are one lucky son of a bitch for that deal. Enjoy!!!! Use it wisely! I miss my 50BMG. Wasn't a barrett but had fun with it.
View Quote

Seriously, great deal! Congrats and enjoy!!
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:55:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Nice
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:50:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Got two mags for it now, sold the NF BR model and am going to put a Vortex PST FFP 6-24x50 on it for now.  I know the rail has 27 MOA built in.  The scope has 65 MOA elevation adjustment total, which I assume means that mechanical zero is right around 32 MOA, which means that I cannot realistically use the LaRue 50 BMG scope mount since it has 30 MOA built in.

What are some other quick release 30mm mounts that are M82A1/50 BMG approved that are around that pricepoint?
View Quote

That's frickin awesome.  I'm curious though, why sell the NF and put the Vortex on it?  I have the same Vortex on my Grendel and it's nice but it seems like your Night Force was better suited for a 50BMG from my relatively amateur perspective on long or extra long distance shooting.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:15:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That's frickin awesome.  I'm curious though, why sell the NF and put the Vortex on it?  I have the same Vortex on my Grendel and it's nice but it seems like your Night Force was better suited for a 50BMG from my relatively amateur perspective on long or extra long distance shooting.
View Quote

I prefer FFP on all my optics, MRAD turrets and like to have continuity on the reticles, as much as I can.  The NF BR model was not only MOA but also had 1/8 adjustments at that, which is pointless on a .50BMG as no one is that accurate, much less with an M82A1.  

No qualms about NF - they make great stuff - but I don't want to drop $1500-2K on an optic for a rifle I will likely only shoot once every 6 months and will have 2-3 MOA accuracy at best.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 6:06:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Given the price of 50BMG ammo, I would definitely get the gear to reload...
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:49:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I use a GGG QD rail which they say is not recommended for 50BMG but seems to be doing fine so far...

https://www.gggaz.com/accucam-quick-detach-standard-base.html
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:43:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I use a GGG QD rail which they say is not recommended for 50BMG but seems to be doing fine so far...
https://www.gggaz.com/images/detailed/1/Accucam_Quick_Detach_Standard_Base.jpg
View Quote

I also used the GGG rail (twice) and both were destroyed in about 50 rounds.
The QD locking mechanism deformed both times.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
/

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.gggaz.com/images/detailed/1/Accucam_Quick_Detach_Standard_Base.jpg
/

Interesting - GG&G warned me it "would" break, but I've got ~4X that many rounds on mine without noticeable wear.  What kind of scope did you have on it?  I'm running a 21oz Bushnell Elite 6500 in Burris Signature Zee rings - I wonder if scope weight has any effect?

ETA: @Indrid-Cold was yours on an M82A1?  I wondered originally if the warning applied to semi-auto guns with their much lower recoil than the bolt guns.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top