Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2020 9:20:21 AM EDT
I’ve always wanted an IHC garand since I’m a gun lover and collect International stuff. Found one for a good price locally, but it has some mixed parts.

It’s a CMP service grade with a newer looking stock, LMR barrel, and a mix of SA and HRA parts. Most of what’s IHC on the gun is the receiver and maybe a few other parts.

Still a collectible/good gun or does it being mixed and matched devalue it?
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:44:38 AM EDT
[#1]
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/10/27/the-international-harvester-m1-garand-rifle/&ved=2ahUKEwic9b62ksznAhUVhXIEHdC7ADcQFjACegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw0tqlz5n1SfsczI5i8i_koN

m1garandforum.com I have a IHC shooter never for sale, if memory serves LMR may be the correct barrel for the IHC.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:48:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I think some of the earlier ihc rifles aren't all ihc as they first ramped up production.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:22:48 AM EDT
[#3]
LMR is correct for IHC.  Big Red was slow in cranking up production.  Even straight from the factory many of them were mix masters.  If its a nice M1 and the price is right, go for it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 2:45:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably nice to have the IHC receiver anyway....LMR barrels were on them.

Even if the stock looks new I'd check in the barrel channel to see if there is a 4-digit date code. Easy enough to check; maybe someone cleaned up an original stock.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 8:53:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
LMR is correct for IHC.  Big Red was slow in cranking up production.  Even straight from the factory many of them were mix masters.  If its a nice M1 and the price is right, go for it.
View Quote
LIne Material Company did make M1 rifle barrels for IHC (hence the stamp, 'LMR'), but whether a particular LMR barrel is original to that receiver, or was a later replacement barrel, is typically determined by the location of a punch mark on the side of the barrel.

Knowing the distinguishing little tidbits to look for on an M1 is the key to determining whether yours is but a common mixmaster turd, or a collectible sample of the breed that's filled with shiny gold nuggets. .
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:16:38 PM EDT
[#6]
For all practical purposes there are no CMP Garand's that are any where near original. Most if not all have been through several rebuilds at the armory level.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top