Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2019 11:35:39 PM EDT
I think I want to get into the thermal game around the $2500 mark.  This would mainly be used to scout for hunting out to 200 yards or so.

Is there anything else to consider that is better than the Flir Scout III 640 in this price range?  I’m unable to find a lot of info online that seems to be from real world end users.

Thanks,
Casey
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 1:08:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Look at the FLIR breach
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 1:41:11 AM EDT
[#2]
The batteries in the scouts are prone to failure if you don't use it regularly (li-ion batteries like to be used), and flir has been a little lackluster on support lately - especially if you buy it 2nd hand - you will get no support. the display on that unit is also a little lacking and doesn't really do the 640 sensor much justice.

i picked up a pulsar 320 unit and i feel like it outperforms the old scout 640 i had. the display on the scout is such a weak point for that device.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 10:35:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The batteries in the scouts are prone to failure if you don't use it regularly (li-ion batteries like to be used), and flir has been a little lackluster on support lately - especially if you buy it 2nd hand - you will get no support. the display on that unit is also a little lacking and doesn't really do the 640 sensor much justice.

i picked up a pulsar 320 unit and i feel like it outperforms the old scout 640 i had. the display on the scout is such a weak point for that device.
View Quote
Thanks, this is exactly the kind of end user info I was hoping for.  Mind telling me what Pulsar model you have?
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 12:13:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I wouldn't invest in any of the old legacy FLIR units at this point in time.

Flir Breach will be under $2500. and have the new Boson core, take CR123's or a rechargeable battery setup you can do yourself for $20.'ish dollars and be a lot more versatile than the old skewl legacy Scout models.

And I suspect FLIR will stop supporting the older stuff (PS24, 32, Scout I, etc.) before too too long as well.
View Quote
Is the Scout III considered legacy at this point?  The breach seems to have a  320 × 256 detector vs. the Scout III 640 at 640 x 480, how does the image quality compare?

Is there anything else from another brand (Pulsar, etc.) that I should consider?  Do I get any big improvements if I step up $500 or so?

Sorry for the wall  of questions :)

Thanks,
Casey
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 12:37:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Pulsar XQ30V that I got cheap on the EE. I am still looking for another small handheld scanner in 640x480, but I use this sparingly, so my budget for such a device isn't very high. For now, the Pulsar meets my needs, and I feel that it produces a better image than my old FLIR Scout.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 4:39:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Found a Pulsar XQ38F slightly used for $2400. How would it compare to the breach? I feel like a 2 or 3x native magnification may be beneficial.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 10:11:29 AM EDT
[#9]
What options are available for Helmet-mounting the Breach?
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Found a Pulsar XQ38F slightly used for $2400. How would it compare to the breach? I feel like a 2 or 3x native magnification may be beneficial.
View Quote
Helion will give you much better image than the breach. It’s 4 times the size though, and can’t mount it on your dome without some serious engineering efforts.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 2:42:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
FLIR swing arm #172
Mod armory bride
RQE bridge
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Flir j arm is at best, almost marginal, after you file it down so it will work
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 7:28:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
I use a Wilcox G22 and a Wilcox A/N PVS14 dovetail bridge. You'll need the RQE clips to convert the Breach MUM style built mount to the dovetail

I also recommend to use an external battery pack. CR123s only get about 45-50 minutes and mine is finicky on startup with them. The Breach has a USB port to plug the external battery in and you won't need a CR123 inserted. It's much more reliable on external power, I haven't had any issues with it since switching away from the CR123

Link Posted: 2/8/2019 8:29:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm looking at the Flir Scion PTM but that is pushing the price point above the Breach.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 12:53:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Helion will give you much better image than the breach. It’s 4 times the size though, and can’t mount it on your dome without some serious engineering efforts.
View Quote
Thanks. I don’t foresee head mounting it, so size won’t be as big of an issue. Appreciate the feedback.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top