Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/19/2021 9:46:14 AM EDT
Considering a handy bolt gun with a detachable magazine that holds 5 or more rounds. Comes with good iron sights. Good bit under $1000. Something for the range. Idk maybe 8lbs. Brake would be cool unless it’s in a small caliber. Considering sticking with 308 but 6.5 or .223 would be sweet too.

Ones I’ve noted were the
Savage scout
Lee Enfield no4

Any other quality gun ideas? If it allows a lpv scope for later on that wouldn’t suck but I’d use the irons for a while as the budget isn’t there.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 10:22:35 AM EDT
[#1]
NoDakSpud has some really nice sights that go on the Ruger American Ranch in 5.56.  Of course, the rifle uses AR magazines.  Just saying "AR" is probably against the law in New York state.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 10:37:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
NoDakSpud has some really nice sights that go on the Ruger American Ranch in 5.56.  Of course, the rifle uses AR magazines.  Just saying "AR" is probably against the law in New York state.
View Quote
This.

Maybe a Ruger Scout, or the Mossberg MVP series.

If sticking with 5 round mags isn't a deal breaker, I also enjoy my CZ527FS in .223.  The 527 carbine also gets high marks and comes in 7.62x39.  A CZ 550 for bigger calibers.

Also maybe a Tikka Battue, but that's a bit of a budgetary stretch.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 10:38:06 AM EDT
[#3]
We can have 10rd AR mags here
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 10:41:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Scout looks great but it’s usually like $1000+

Isn’t the battue 3rds?

Cz sounds good!!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 10:59:40 AM EDT
[#5]
The CZ557 in 243/308 uses detachable mags and has a 10 round mag listed.   I saw a 243 on GB with iron sights.  I don't know a lot about the 557, but I would not trade my CZ550 for rifles that cost twice as much.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 11:04:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Savage Scout .308
CZ 527 Carbine .223/7.62x39
CZ 550 FS would have been amazing for this role, but they discontinued those a few years ago.

...at the higher end you have the Ruger Gunsite Scout and the even more expensive Steyr Scout rifle.  Both of those are excellent choices, but they are over your budget... especially the Steyr which goes for around $1,500.

...another solid option that isn't a bolt gun would be a Browning BLR.  It's a lever action that shoots modern calibers.  Very well made and accurate.

...and like Uys said I briefly saw a CZ 557 on GB in .243 with a detachable mag and irons.  Basically a CZ version of a Scout rifle chambered in .243.  Looking now I can't find anymore, but it may be something to keep an eye out for.  They were going for around $850 I think.

Link Posted: 3/19/2021 11:12:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah I was having trouble finding those CZ. The ones that used to be like $600 are around $850 on their. The rest I don’t see. They look perfect though.

Savage looks good.

I wish the Steyr was possible.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#8]
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/892639943

I should have bought one in 6.5x55, with iron sights, when they were priced to blow out a few years back.

I like the Lee Enfield No4 or No1.  Probably a lot of sporterized rifles floating around in NYS.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 11:29:19 AM EDT
[#9]
That’s really nice. A little expensive.

I’m green on the Enfield but I saw Sarco had one for $495 and mags were $30.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 12:06:30 PM EDT
[#10]
https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/893658115
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/893160812

This seller has sold new Ruger Ranch Rifles in 7.62x39 from $740 to $1000!  Now is really a bad time for reasonable pricing.

Reloading the Lee-Enfields with spare mags is pretty awkward as opposed to using the charger clips.  
The final Brit .303 version No4 Mk2's are still to be had in clean condition.  Even the Ishapore 7.62 Nato model is around, but they can be in pretty rough condition.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/894853519  - below $1k
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 12:14:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe I’ll stick with newer guns then.

The savage scout
Ruger scout
Cz 557
All look great.

If I weren’t so broke, I really like the t3x Arctic but it’s $2200 lol
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Scout looks great but it's usually like $1000+

Isn't the battue 3rds?

Cz sounds good!!!
View Quote
Tikka T3 .308 5 round extended mag.  Supposedly there is also catalogue codes for many Tikkas with irons, or their used to be, but the Battue was the only one that was ever consistently find-able.

Maybe you can find a deal on a used Scout of some flavor.  I enjoy my Ruger.  (But am still toying with also buying the Steyr.)

I thoroughly enjoy my CZ527FS, but it was a pain to acquire since they're discontinued.  Normally cheaper to shoot than .308 these days.  If I couldn't find the FS, I was close to buying the Carbine for general shooting fun.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I’ll keep looking. Battue seems fantastic.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 2:11:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I have 2 other rifles in mind but I think I’d be defeating the purpose of their design

Since a Tikka Arctic is out of the question maybe a ctr (if not the battue) with a 1-6 or have a smith add sights
Bergara wilderness Terrain with 1-6. Both heavy bbl but both feel lighter than they are and are very balanced.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 2:37:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I got an email from Hinterland Outfitters the other day and they have the Tikka CTR 308 in stock.   Midwest Gun Works has the Tikka front and rear sights (S584T320 & S584T310) that
need D&T'd for the CTR.  The 10 round mags seem pretty durable to me.  Same ones that the Arctic uses.  You could try to source the Arctic sights, but I'd be afraid to see how much they are.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#16]
It’s take a little bit to save but my local shop has a ctr. I think $1100. They have the Trrrain for the same price. Both in 308 too.

I like your thinking with the sights. I wonder how much that’d cost
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 3:46:55 PM EDT
[#17]
From the looks of the Tikka sights you'd need three holes D&T.  I recently had a sporterized Mauser D&T with three holes and it was $90.  The multiple front and rears sights in the packages give you a chance at getting the rifle sighted in.  If you are a veteran you might get a few bucks knocked off at MGW or your gunsmith could order them.

The sights look like what came on the Tikka Boar Hunter several years back.  They were some Cabela's Exclusive with 20 inch fluted barrel and sights.  I have not seen one for a while.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 4:07:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Thank you! That might be a nice package. Who’s a good Smith to send it to? Surprised there aren’t more guns in the $700-1000 with irons and dbm

Something cool about one of these solid guns with med heavy bbl and irons and/or a 1-4 or 6

Maybe the Bergara wilderness terrain is a bit piggy at 8.9 lbs. fine with just sights but add a scope and it’s heavy. May as well have a 3-15 and a bipod at that point.
The tikka is only 7.5lbs. It’d have harsher recoil but it’d be handy.

Am I crazy looking at a bull bbl gun with dbm and irons only or a LPV?
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 5:17:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I’d also be curious to know if anyone has installed aftermarket irons on the Steyr scout.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 5:36:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I’d also be curious to know if anyone has installed aftermarket irons on the Steyr scout.
View Quote

The Steyr Scout actually has irons on it from the factory.  For whatever reason most pictures don't show the irons, but they're built into the top of the rifle and can be flipped up/down.  The forend also has a bipod built into it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 5:49:01 PM EDT
[#21]
You could have the iron sights on the Tikka and still put scope or red dot on later.  Seems like the European rifles tend to have sights on them more US made.
I think Williams Gunsights still does gunsmithing work, but someone local would save you on shipping both ways.  

Link Posted: 3/19/2021 5:51:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The Steyr Scout actually has irons on it from the factory.  For whatever reason most pictures don't show the irons, but they're built into the top of the rifle and can be flipped up/down.  The forend also has a bipod built into it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I saw that. Pretty slick. The sights are pretty weak though from what I’ve heard.
I checked one out locally and absolutely fell in love but the gun is big money. I honestly didn’t look really hard to see if the sights were good enough to be it’s primary sighting system. If they are, that’s huge.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#23]
As Seven-Shooter mentioned, the Ruger Scout has good sights on them.   Their prices are nuts right now.  
Older Rem 700's had decent iron sights on them.  Find a used one and snag a magpul hunter stock and mag system?  That stock would add a bit of wieght.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#24]
If price were no object and the factory sights are fine, the Steyr would win.

Other than that I like your Tikka and sights idea or the Ruger Gunsite.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 6:37:56 PM EDT
[#25]
You’re not kidding, the gunsite prices are unreal
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I agree with Uys.  If prices weren't stupid right now I'd get the Ruger Gunsite Scout and never look back.  The Steyr is the nicer gun but yeah it is expensive.

Before all the craziness the Gunsite Scouts were about $850.  I think the thing with them now is they're very appealing to people who want good capacity and a do-it-all weapon, especially in ban states.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I remember them being $850 too. How does the savage compare?
I’d be happy with the Ruger for sure. If the savage is as good I wouldn’t turn my nose up there either.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 7:40:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Considering a handy bolt gun with a detachable magazine that holds 5 or more rounds. Comes with good iron sights. Good bit under $1000. Something for the range. Idk maybe 8lbs. Brake would be cool unless it’s in a small caliber. Considering sticking with 308 but 6.5 or .223 would be sweet too.

Ones I’ve noted were the
Savage scout
Lee Enfield no4

Any other quality gun ideas? If it allows a lpv scope for later on that wouldn’t suck but I’d use the irons for a while as the budget isn’t there.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 7:44:15 PM EDT
[#29]
That’s the Cz correct? Which caliber is that? 2 rear sights? Is that the same rear sight Riflechair installed on his?

527 carbine on Gun Broker is $850 and higher. Used to be like $600. Jeez!
557 Range is nowhere.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 11:15:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That’s the Cz correct? Which caliber is that? 2 rear sights? Is that the same rear sight Riflechair installed on his?

527 carbine on Gun Broker is $850 and higher. Yes to be like $600. Jeez!
557 Range is nowhere.
View Quote

527 .223 Carbine with after market rear sight!
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 11:23:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That's the Cz correct? Which caliber is that? 2 rear sights? Is that the same rear sight Riflechair installed on his?

527 carbine on Gun Broker is $850 and higher. Yes to be like $600. Jeez!
557 Range is nowhere.
View Quote
A 7.62x39 CZ 527 M carbine was like $639 a few months ago when I was looking for my 527FS.  I paid quite a bit more for my FS.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 11:26:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I agree with Uys.  If prices weren't stupid right now I'd get the Ruger Gunsite Scout and never look back.  The Steyr is the nicer gun but yeah it is expensive.

Before all the craziness the Gunsite Scouts were about $850.  I think the thing with them now is they're very appealing to people who want good capacity and a do-it-all weapon, especially in ban states.
View Quote
What are GSRs going for these days?  I definitely paid less than $850 for mine.

I see people asking for tons of money online, and I see left handed models selling (many of them were discontinued), but what are regular models going for in your AO?
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 2:45:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I see people asking for tons of money online, and I see left handed models selling (many of them were discontinued), but what are regular models going for in your AO?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

They're going for around $1,200 on Gunbroker.  A few of the .308 models have gone as high as $1,800.

Even the .450 Bushmasters are going for over $1,000.  Before all the craziness they were going for around $750 for the stainless synthetic stock models, and close to $900 for the wood stock variant.

Quoted:

527 .223 Carbine with after market rear sight!

I'm not gonna lie, the rear sight on that thing is sweet looking.  Usually I find aftermarket sights like that kind of tacky looking, but that actually looks really good and fits well with the gun, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 2:47:46 AM EDT
[#34]
NECG CZ 527 Ghost Ring
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 5:52:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
NECG CZ 527 Ghost Ring
View Quote

Riflechair on YouTube has one and loves it. The factory rear sight doesn’t get in the way? He took his off.

Has to get drilled and tapped I’d assume ?
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 9:11:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Riflechair on YouTube has one and loves it. The factory rear sight doesn't get in the way? He took his off.

Has to get drilled and tapped I'd assume ?
View Quote
It's sitting on the rear dovetail on the receiver.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 9:17:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh ok so it’s raised up high enough that the factory mid bbl rear sight is out of view.
I read (if correctly) that the factory front sight on the newer guns will adjust to work with the NECG sight. Older guns may need a replacement front post insert.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 10:17:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Oh ok so it’s raised up high enough that the factory mid bbl rear sight is out of view.
I read (if correctly) that the factory front sight on the newer guns will adjust to work with the NECG sight. Older guns may need a replacement front post insert.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the current production guns it is plug and play.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
What buttstock pouch are you using?  Does it fit those 5 round mags well enough?

Been wondering if it's possible to get something like that for my 527 FS, though the hogback might make it slightly more difficult.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 5:57:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Looks like prices are high enough to wait this out. Grrr.

So far I’m seeing;

Ruger scout
Savage scout
Cz 527 with NECG sight
Tikka CTR with sights installed by smith

Which of the Ruger and savage and CZ with NECG sight, have the better all around irons?

Or suck it up and add an optic

Occasionally the NY compliant M1A Scout pops into my head but they’re too expensive. Not a bad idea though
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 6:41:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Which of the Ruger and savage and CZ with NECG sight, have the better all around irons?

My vote is for the Ruger Scout sights being the better of the choices.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 6:41:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Savage Hog Hunter in 308 or 223 is under $500 in normal times. 4-10&15rd savage style mags are available or convert dbm to AI style.

CZ has discontinued most Centerfire bolt actions so prices are going up. They have hinted at a new line for 2022.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 7:27:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
What buttstock pouch are you using?  Does it fit those 5 round mags well enough?

Been wondering if it's possible to get something like that for my 527 FS, though the hogback might make it slightly more difficult.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mosin Nagant Buttstock Pouch (Black)
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 7:40:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry/New-sight-set-for-the-Ruger-American-Ranch/245-297913/
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 7:40:24 PM EDT
[#45]
I also added a Latigo sling!
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 7:44:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Optics have almost all but killed out iron sights. One option not mentioned is finding a older Remington or Winchester with sights but I am sure like anything the prices have gone way up. If I really had to buy an iron sighted gun I would probably do the American with Nodak sights because I am cheap.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 7:54:31 PM EDT
[#47]
How is that front sight installed? Looks like a nightmare for an idiot like me to get perfectly level lol.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 8:14:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
How is that front sight installed? Looks like a nightmare for an idiot like me to get perfectly level lol.
View Quote

It is real simple.  It is in a dovetail from the front to rear of the mount.  It moves up as it moves back!
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#49]
That’s awesome!
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:13:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
CZ has discontinued most Centerfire bolt actions so prices are going up. They have hinted at a new line for 2022.
View Quote

That's neat.  Is there any word on what kind of rifles they're going to be?  A return of the 550 series or maybe a push feed/CRF hybrid like a Sako?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top