Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/31/2022 8:52:35 PM EDT
I’m wanting to build a rifle to shoot small steel plates at 200 yards (the max distance at our local range).

Several of us have started shooting long range steel, generally 4” plates. Right now I just have a few standard 10/22’s with a max of 3x9x40 scopes. They are more set up for hunting than anything else. That is just not consistent once I get past 75-100 yards.

One of the guys has a 10/22 that he’s built up. It has a 20” heavy barrel (make unknown to me) 5x25x56 Vortex strike eagle scope in a 20 MOA base and internal upgrades. He can go 10 for 10 over and over at 200.

He also has a CZ 455 in a MDT chassis with the same scope and base. It’ll also do 10 for 10 over and over. Both using Federal auto match bulk ammo.

I have a 10/22 that I can use as a donor receiver and stick a nice barrel on it and do the other upgrades. Ruger also has the 10/22 Competition that has the upgrades and all I’d have to do is get the scope and bases. One of the other guys has one of these and with his scope and mount has 1300-1500 dollars in it.

I do have one tricked out 10/22 for steel matches with a TacSol light weight barrel, internals and a Vortex Venom dot.

Another option is the Ruger RPR (or other bolt gun) and buying nice glass. I’d like to keep it under $1500 or so total. Just looking for options and opinions from those that may have already done this.

This is my first venture in to longer range rimfire. It’s nothing formal, just a few guys getting together for fun afternoons dinging steel.

Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 9:00:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Bergera b14r for your budget. The others will not keep up.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 9:01:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

My friend just had his ringing steel at 350 yards.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 9:45:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I started nrl22 with a savage mark II ( 250 dollar rifle, 300 dollar athlon scope) which with proper application ( any misses my fault entirely) would do small targets at 200 with regularity

My new set up is a Kidd 10/22 in a KRG bravo stock ( about 1300) with a vortex strike eagle. Honestly the improved glass means more than the rifle

If you already have 10/22’s. A few hundred bucks in quality parts ( Kidd) and good barrel plus a decent stock and you will be in business
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 5:47:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Factory 10/22 carbine
- send trigger to Brimstone for a Tier 3 job OR a tier 1 job or just a set of kidd internals for it
- replace barrel with GM 16" or 18" .920 barrel, or maybe a heavy taper (depends on what is in stock)
- rail w/ 20 MOA built in
- sand out barrel channel and use factory stock (easy but I don't like the stock) or replace with choice of laminate or factory sporter stocks.
- install a pillar for the take down screw if your replacement stock doesn't have one and bed it and the receiver with jb weld

Feed it CCI SV or SK Std+ or the better SK/Lapua offerings or Ely equivalents and you should be shooting MOA.

I use a similar rig on our friendly rimfire matches - golf balls out to 150 or 175 yards, 1/5 scale silhouettes at 100 to 200 yards (instead of 40 to 100 for regulation since I'm the youngest at 51 and we shoot from a bench), bowling pins at 200 yards, and crazy things like splitting playing cards at 25 and 50 yards, shooting airsoft BBs at 50 yards, etc.

Spend your savings on a scope with AO or side focus, lots of magnification and very fine wires, a 1/8" dot or very fine mildots (I work in education so I'm a poor - Mueller 8-32x44 w/ side focus and 1/8" target dot).  A traditional hunting scope will cover most of a 4" target at 200 yards.  Shoot known distances and build your dope sheet.

Link Posted: 6/2/2022 12:55:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a huge fanboi of my B14R.  I take it regularly out beyond 400 yards and it's a certified tackdriver.

That being said, with a few hundred bucks, you can transform your 10/22 into a contender--and you can do it a little at a time.  Most parts are plug-n-play, no fitting required.

A good barrel will cost you less than $200 if you shop around and you can install it yourself with minimal tools.  Trigger upgrades range from free up to ~$300.  A Victor Titan stock is a great option at $179--but when it comes to stocks and chassis, the sky is the limit.

My 10/22 as pictured had about $900 total invested and it could almost keep up with my B14R.  Since this pic, I've added a Timney Calvin Elite trigger ($279) and now it runs neck and neck with the Bergara.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/2/2022 5:57:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Brimstone is out of the trigger business.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 6:22:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't buy anything if you have something already. Try that first.

I shoot a similar match with bubba'd out Rem 597. It works well.  You also don't need huge glass.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:58:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies. It gives me some things to think about, both with an existing rifle and/or the possible purchase of a new one.

Now to do a lot of reading and figuring things out.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:03:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I built a 10/22 for the Sportsman's Team Challenge back in the mid 90s without a lot of aftermarket parts available...over the 5 years a couple of upgrades

year 1... the Leupold scope mounts on all three team rifles loosened even with loctite... cantilever mount off the Clark 920 barrel cured the problem.... Tasco World Class 6-24x44 AO scope with 1/8min dot and 1/8 min clicks...early skill level used around 10-12x

year 2 ..reduced head space, limited vertical firing pin movement, and built a fixture to reduce sear engagement and change angle of the hammer...changed trigger return to be direct push and not diagonal across the rear of the trigger....  switched to a Fajen thumb hole stock with a section relieved to give me a good cheek weld for the 90yd standing shots... 14x

year 3... full length bedded the barrel, not the action, and added a forward mounting lug

year 5... the addition of a barrel tuner allowed adjusting barrel harmonics to Win Super X (high velocity)   can send a pic if you are interested...by year 5 the rifle would on occasion put 10 shots on a 15/16 IPSC paster at 100yd on a windless morning off a bench, and slightly larger groups on demand

these modifications should work well at longer distances... I shoot Steel Challenge now, and need reliability over accuracy... regards

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I would disagree with rattle can- at distance the. Higher mag target scopes with target type turrets are a definite advantage. Having a Christmas tree reticle is handy when you go further out and run out of elevation on the scope or situations where you have multiple target distances with inadequate time to dial for each distance - I shoot nrl 22 and this happens frequently.

If you already have 10/22’s doing some diy home assembly with new trigger group and barrel and stock can definitely get you there.
My rifle looks similar to the one pictured with the KRG bravo stock above
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 9:59:45 AM EDT
[#11]
10/22’s and LR don’t go together. Go to one 22 PRL or PRS match and you won’t see any serious shooters running them and there’s plenty of reason for that.

Best bang for the buck for a precision 22 is CZ and they’re very upgradable as well. You get a high quality action that feeds well, good mags, and great barrel and trigger out of the box. The AT ONE is an excellent model.

For optic you want something that tracks dead nuts and ideally with a tree reticle but that’s ok as long as you at least have plenty of elevation. Made in Japan, USA, or Germany is ideal. It’s hard to beat the SWFA 3-15 for the $$. This optic and the CZ can easily be had within your budget.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 1:17:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
10/22’s and LR don’t go together. Go to one 22 PRL or PRS match and you won’t see any serious shooters running them and there’s plenty of reason for that.

Best bang for the buck for a precision 22 is CZ and they’re very upgradable as well. You get a high quality action that feeds well, good mags, and great barrel and trigger out of the box. The AT ONE is an excellent model.

For optic you want something that tracks dead nuts and ideally with a tree reticle but that’s ok as long as you at least have plenty of elevation. Made in Japan, USA, or Germany is ideal. It’s hard to beat the SWFA 3-15 for the $$. This optic and the CZ can easily be had within your budget.
View Quote

This!

To sum up every 10/22 upgrade proponents post.  "If you spend $700-$1000 on your 10/22 you can get close to a bergaras accuracy".

I'm saying that as someone who has 3 built 10/22s and no bolt 22s.   They are accurate with $15/box ammo. Like 1.1-1.25" 100yd 5 shot groups.  Sometimes under an inch but regularly just over.

In my research, 3 guns show up as "second tier" contenders.
Bergara b14r
Tikka t1x
Cz 457

I'm researching this because $15 a box 22 ammo is silly and maybe one of these could do the same with $8 or $9 ammo

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 1:09:35 AM EDT
[#13]
There have been plenty of reports of Vudoos, Bergaras, and even Tikkas having feeding/magazine problems.  

The CZ and its magazine have been going strong for many decades, I'd stick with them, especially for the price.  

For scope Someone mentioned a SWFA I'd say thats an excellent starting point for a trackable, parallax adjustable <=25yds, FFP, mil/mil scope (you NEED these for proper 22lr LR).  You can be in "base class" easily with these combinations.  Fixed 10x or the 3-15x, you can buy a shim kit for a ghetto but functional zero stop thats about the only thing missing from these scopes.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 1:31:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I’m wanting to build a rifle to shoot small steel plates at 200 yards (the max distance at our local range).

Several of us have started shooting long range steel, generally 4” plates. Right now I just have a few standard 10/22’s with a max of 3x9x40 scopes. They are more set up for hunting than anything else. That is just not consistent once I get past 75-100 yards.

One of the guys has a 10/22 that he’s built up. It has a 20” heavy barrel (make unknown to me) 5x25x56 Vortex strike eagle scope in a 20 MOA base and internal upgrades. He can go 10 for 10 over and over at 200.

He also has a CZ 455 in a MDT chassis with the same scope and base. It’ll also do 10 for 10 over and over. Both using Federal auto match bulk ammo.

I have a 10/22 that I can use as a donor receiver and stick a nice barrel on it and do the other upgrades. Ruger also has the 10/22 Competition that has the upgrades and all I’d have to do is get the scope and bases. One of the other guys has one of these and with his scope and mount has 1300-1500 dollars in it.

I do have one tricked out 10/22 for steel matches with a TacSol light weight barrel, internals and a Vortex Venom dot.

Another option is the Ruger RPR (or other bolt gun) and buying nice glass. I’d like to keep it under $1500 or so total. Just looking for options and opinions from those that may have already done this.

This is my first venture in to longer range rimfire. It’s nothing formal, just a few guys getting together for fun afternoons dinging steel.

Thanks for any info.
View Quote

Are you saying your buddies are going 10/10 on 4” plates at 200 yards with Federal Auto Match?
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 7:32:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Are you saying your buddies are going 10/10 on 4” plates at 200 yards with Federal Auto Match?
View Quote

He has on 6” plates. Gone 7-8 for 10 on the 4”.   It’s just one guy and he has 2 fairly high dollar guns, one CZ bolt and one 10/22 based gun. Others are shooting other kinds of high dollar rimfire ammo. Since I’m just getting my feet wet in this I don’t know much about the ammo yet. I’ve always used my rifles for hunting so mini mags were my go to for squirrels.

There again, thanks everyone for the info. I’ve been reading a lot more and watching vids on guns, scopes and related items. It’s something I’m going to do over the next few months.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 11:13:48 PM EDT
[#16]
If you've started watching videos, some of .y favorite that do ammo test, are pursuit of accuracy, cyclops videos with John rhea, and dayattherange.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 11:32:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. I have built up and shoot 800 yards all day with my 22LR.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 7:03:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

If they’re built with the same quality as the centerfire B14s, you will not be disappointed. My old neighbor has a 6.5 and I have a 308, both are excellent rifles.

Don’t they take 10/22 mags, too?
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 8:17:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If they’re built with the same quality as the centerfire B14s, you will not be disappointed. My old neighbor has a 6.5 and I have a 308, both are excellent rifles.

Don’t they take 10/22 mags, too?
View Quote

My B-14R is my favorite .22, I'm getting exceptional accuracy from several different ammo brands, it really likes CCI standard velocity.  My B-14R is in an MDT chassis; it's funny, no matter if the rifle is clean or dirty, or what ammo I feed it, or what torque value I use on the chassis action screws, my cold bore first shot is always out, much more so than any other rifle I own; like 3 - 4 MOA out at 50 yards.  It settles right in and is lights out after that.  Nature of the beast, I guess.

You may be thinking of the Bergara BXR, that is compatible with 10/22 style magazines.  The B-14R uses 10 round AICS pattern magazines:

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:13:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I shoot prs/ nrl22 and at our matches about 1/2 the shooters are using 10/22’s even a couple of our top shooters.
While I will agree bolt guns do have an accuracy edge, this is often mitigated by the ability to get on target faster for repeat shots with the semi, and baseline accuracy with a good 10/22 is very close to the best bolt guns, at least inside 200 yards. Beyond that ammo quality and reading the wind makes more difference than a slightly more accurate rifle
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 4:27:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

What is that, about 65 mils of drop? What’s the target?

What kind of groups are you getting?

Are you going down range after every shot? On steel I imagine it would be tough to hear the impact.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 6:31:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Are you going down range after every shot? On steel I imagine it would be tough to hear the impact.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Steel 30x30. Using a spotter and fresh paint. Getting about 60% hits. Using SK long range ammo.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 6:49:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I would disagree with rattle can- at distance the. Higher mag target scopes with target type turrets are a definite advantage. Having a Christmas tree reticle is handy when you go further out and run out of elevation on the scope or situations where you have multiple target distances with inadequate time to dial for each distance - I shoot nrl 22 and this happens frequently.

If you already have 10/22’s doing some diy home assembly with new trigger group and barrel and stock can definitely get you there.
My rifle looks similar to the one pictured with the KRG bravo stock above
View Quote

My scope has target turrets, I only spin past 100.  It also has subtention marks on the reticle.  My point is don't spend money until you find you have to, to be competitive.  My score card continued just like it looks.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 9:49:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I've got a Bergara B-14R with the carbon fiber barrel. It's ridiculously accurate with Eley match ammo.  I've tried a few other types of ammo, so far the Eley does the best, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 10:02:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've got a Bergara B-14R with the carbon fiber barrel. It's ridiculously accurate with Eley match ammo.  I've tried a few other types of ammo, so far the Eley does the best, unfortunately.
View Quote

Match? Why use the low budget stuff, try tenex?
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 1:25:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got some Tenex, but that shit'll put me in the poorhouse. :).  

For what I do, the Eley Match works well enough.  I started an NRL22 match here locally.  All targets, while relatively small, are under 100 yards, and the ammo isn't really limiting me yet.  

Surprisingly enough, my limiting factor is my shooting ability. :)

Link Posted: 6/20/2022 8:48:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps stated in jest?  My precision .22LR is 1/2 MOA at 100 and 200 (beyond that my poor wind doping becomes a big factor).  This is an old tricked out Remington 541-S with a FFP 6-24x scooe and tree reticle.

But, it actually prefers Eley Match (Black Box) and Lapua Center-X slightly over Tenex.  Every barrel has its preferences.

Also, once you get groups that small, individual lots start to matter.

Wind doping is my bane beyond 200 yards and masks my ability to discern differences in these match grade ammo choices.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 8:53:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Tikka and Cz
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Steel 30x30. Using a spotter and fresh paint. Getting about 60% hits. Using SK long range ammo.
View Quote

What kind of optic set-up are you using to get out there that far?
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:00:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Bought a Ruger American Rimfire Target in .17 HMR a few years ago. Super accurate.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 10:06:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Update of an old thread. I’m going with a Bergara B14r. I have a spare Arken SH4 Gen II 6x24 to put on top. Now the fun begins.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 10:28:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Update of an old thread. I’m going with a Bergara B14r. I have a spare Arken SH4 Gen II 6x24 to put on top. Now the fun begins.
View Quote

My buddy has the b14r. It's phenomenal. By far the most accurate 22 I've ever shit.

It's my next rifle for sure.

I'm a bergara fanboi. I've got a B14 HMR and Wilderness terrain (that I hunt with) in 6.5 CM. I plan on getting the B14r trainer to complement them.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 9:52:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I set up my B-14R with an Arken SH-4 6x24 as well; I put it in an MDT LSS-XL chassis, used a Timney HIT trigger, and it shoots lights out.  You'll love that combination of B-14R and the Arken scope.

Link Posted: 10/9/2022 10:06:02 AM EDT
[#34]
I have a CZ455 with an Arken 4-16x56 optic mounted. It’s good for full size IPSC steel hits at 450 yds. Optics will be the biggest factor here.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have a CZ455 with an Arken 4-16x56 optic mounted. It’s good for full size IPSC steel hits at 450 yds. Optics will be the biggest factor here.
View Quote

Those SH4s are really affordable now that the EP-5 is out. How do you like it?

Link Posted: 10/10/2022 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#36]
They’re heavy (remind me of the Springfield Armory branded Hakko scopes of two+ decades ago) and have comically large knobs but it tracks great and the glass is clear. My elevation knob binded a bit at first but then loosened up and works fine now. I wouldn’t use it as a serious optic on a precision rifle but for a fun long range .22LR optic it’s perfect.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
They’re heavy (remind me of the Springfield Armory branded Hakko scopes of two+ decades ago) and have comically large knobs but it tracks great and the glass is clear. My elevation knob binded a bit at first but then loosened up and works fine now. I wouldn’t use it as a serious optic on a precision rifle but for a fun long range .22LR optic it’s perfect.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2980/EF82B758-E672-4FC2-9BCE-229851B9382D_jpe-2558382.JPG
View Quote

I have an EP5 on a .22. I really like the knobs and adjustment and tracking. I think the parallax adjustment knob is the biggest concern.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 3:53:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Seems like my biggest challenge now is finding the rifle. OOS at a dozen or more shops I’ve called. Looking for a steel barrel version.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 4:17:03 PM EDT
[#39]
The BSA Martini Mk III will do the job.  Weighs about 15 pounds, though.

https://www.rifleman.org.uk/BSA_Martini_International_Mk.III.html

Link Posted: 10/10/2022 4:17:04 PM EDT
[#40]
We've started a .22 silhouette match at our local club and have been shooting it for a year or so.
200 meters, smallbore targets. 15 targets at 150, 15  at 200.
At first all the old guys couldn't believe that a .22 would shoot that far. Now they all have rifles rigged out to shoot.

Honestly, we've had winners shooting CZs, Tikkas, Ruger rimfires, Savages, Bergaras and a 40 year old Marlin 25.
The ammo seems to be more of a factor than the rifle.
Any good .22 you can find will compete. the Bergaras are nice, but haven't outshot the others.

Mainly, good ammo, 25 MOA base and a decent scope will compete.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 1:28:46 AM EDT
[#41]
.22's are finicky regarding ammunition. Even different lots can change outcomes.

I have been really impressed with CCI Standard Velocity ammo for general purpose use. It is subsonic and pretty accurate.

It has the added advantage of not being very expensive.

If you talk with people who actually compete in tournaments with .22's they will universally recommend ammo with less than 1100 fps for accuracy. The late Ron Springsteen tried to dissuade me from buying Russian standard velocity, his rifle never liked it. I thought it was economical and accurate, not match grade accurate, but close enough for me.

I own a Ruger 10/22 with a medium weight barrel that stacks CCI standard velocity bullets in tidy little groups at 50 yards, approximately .5" 10 shot groups off a bench.  To me this is amazing. I know this round lacks power, but accuracy is King.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 2:16:30 AM EDT
[#42]
I use an old CZ 452 silhouette model for that kind of thing.  The biggest thing I find for shooting past 100 yards or so, is ammo makes a huge difference, huge.  My rifle will shoot wolf match well all the way out to as far as I can dial my scope.  Most ammo will not do that, even stuff that shoots really well for me at 25 and 50 yards like CCI subsonic can suck balls at 200+ yards.  And pretty much all the supersonic ammo I have ever tried falls apart accuracy-wise at long range.

For the gun setup,  I run a 20 MOA base, in conjunction with Burris signature rings with offset inserts, and I get about another 20 MOA out of that.   My scope adjustment almost bottoms out to hit zero at 50 yards, so I have almost 80 minutes of angle in scope adjustment.  And then I have hash marks on the reticle that can get me out past that.   According to Strelok, I should be able to reach about 460 yards. But in the real world, I've never shot it at a range that could get me past 400.  

I think shooting long range with the 22 is great practice for long range shooting.  All the stuff you need to have a feel for to shoot really long range with a big rifle, wind, drop calculations, exact range finding, atmospheric pressure/altitude, temperature , etc, that all happens at much shorter ranges with a 22. So you can play with learning that stuff at 200 yards for a few pennies every time you pull the trigger, and for the most part those skills translate when you sit down to shoot your big guns out to 500 and 600 yd and beyond.

Link Posted: 10/12/2022 9:59:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Would agree with brothers comment on ammo.

Nothing ( with the possible exception of SK high velocity match) that is high velocity is even worth trying, standard velocity is the way to go, and don’t waste your time with American made ammo.

I know of not a single even semi serious long range 22 shooter using high velocity ammo. It simply won’t get the job done
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 2:33:12 PM EDT
[#44]
I see the mention of the BSA martini.

I always presumed repeaters were needed in some phases. ( Looks at 40xB and goes hmmm. )
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 8:48:10 PM EDT
[#45]
How do the Christiansen Rangers stack up?
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 8:53:38 PM EDT
[#46]
.17 WSM, 200 is in range.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:18:53 PM EDT
[#47]
$1500
B14r barreled action $699 with a used chassis or stock.
Since it’s a SA R700 footprint you will have lots of options

Should leave you with $500 for a scope
I’d keep my eye on the EE for something used that’s still current.  You might get lucky and score a PST gen2 or a Meopta Optika 6 etc

The hard part is finding ammo the barrel likes which can also vary lot to lot.
I’ve went down the rabbet hole with LR rimfire and at one time did exactly what I recommend above. I’m shooting a Vudoo now but can say the b14 was a good value.

Link Posted: 11/8/2022 7:59:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for all the info. Finally found the steel barreled B14r that I’ve been hunting. Now I just need to get it put together and head to the range.

It’ll be wearing an Arken SH4 Gen II 6x24 scope. Modern gun deer season opens Saturday and I work tomorrow thru Friday. I may be a couple of weeks before I get it up and running.

Next project, find extra mags. ??  It’s always something.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 9:32:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This!

To sum up every 10/22 upgrade proponents post.  "If you spend $700-$1000 on your 10/22 you can get close to a bergaras accuracy".

I'm saying that as someone who has 3 built 10/22s and no bolt 22s.   They are accurate with $15/box ammo. Like 1.1-1.25" 100yd 5 shot groups.  Sometimes under an inch but regularly just over.

In my research, 3 guns show up as "second tier" contenders.
Bergara b14r
Tikka t1x
Cz 457

I'm researching this because $15 a box 22 ammo is silly and maybe one of these could do the same with $8 or $9 ammo

View Quote

This.

I went through this years ago, and in the end I couldn't justify spending a bunch of money to make my 10/22 shoot as good as a stock CZ 457. Years later I am still very happy with my CZ that never misses a 6X6 target at 200 yards.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 10:04:51 AM EDT
[#50]
My CZ 457 Varmint does that, we shoot out that far quite a lot otherwise it gets boring.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top