Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2018 11:28:22 AM EDT
I just bought this from a recently widowed lady at church, intending to hang it on the wall. I got curious and looked up the load, and it appears that 18gr is the suggested safe amount. I don't intend to ever load a bullet into it though.

My question is; would it work to drop in a 50gr pellet, and fire it just for the smoke/boom, without blowing it up?

No bullet, or any other obstruction in the barrel; just a percussion cap and a pellet.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:28:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I built one of those in 73. shot it a few dozen times...dont remember what happened to it...went BANG every time..
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 2:35:05 PM EDT
[#2]
This might be inappropriate, but could you post video in GD if you do?
One thing to consider is the mass of the unburned powder pellet at as a projectile?
I'd use about 5 gr black and a 1/2 inch wax plug.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 2:44:23 PM EDT
[#3]
If I try it, there will be video.
There may also be a clamp of some type, and a string, but I really don't want to destroy it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 5:04:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I would not use a BP substitute pellet, but that's me. You are in uncharted territory, and charging it with approximately 3x the recommended weight of a very different powder - even without a bullet - seems unwise, especially just for amusement value.
Why not shoot it with an actual bullet? I built mine as a teenager and have shot it numerous times over the decades, using real BP and a round ball (sometimes patched, IIRC).
If the cost of a pound of FFFG is the issue, the purchase of a Pietta cap & ball revolver more than justifies the Hazmat fee for the powder. You have to buy #10 caps anyway...

Aside: would you be willing to scan and post the instruction sheet? Mine went into the trash decades ago; having a copy for the Big Folder of Owner's Manuals would be nice.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree with PigBat, don't use the pellet. I bet if you ask around your hometown forum you'll find someone that is into traditional muzzleloading who might be able to provide powder, caps and an appropriate ball.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 5:26:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would not use a BP substitute pellet, but that's me. You are in uncharted territory, and charging it with approximately 3x the recommended weight of a very different powder - even without a bullet - seems unwise, especially just for amusement value.
Amusement is the only reason I want to do it, but I won't risk blowing myself up to do it.

Why not shoot it with an actual bullet?  
I'm not really into black powder anymore. I had a Ruger Old Army, a couple cheapie revolvers, and a CVA Optima (for deer hunting), but since Missouri dropped the BP only season and allows pistols now, I have no desire to get back into it. I even chose that Optima because I could use pellets, and not have to mess with loose powder.

Aside: would you be willing to scan and post the instruction sheet? Mine went into the trash decades ago; having a copy for the Big Folder of Owner's Manuals would be nice.
View Quote
Pics with a cell phone good enough? If not, send me your address in an IM and I'll mail it to you. I don't need it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Edit - @PigBat
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 5:29:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I agree with PigBat, don't use the pellet. I bet if you ask around your hometown forum you'll find someone that is into traditional muzzleloading who might be able to provide powder, caps and an appropriate ball.
View Quote
I appreciate the warning, from both of you. I'll just put it on the wall, and not play with the pellets.
Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 11:27:28 AM EDT
[#8]
The pix are fine, thank you very much!
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#9]
You're welcome.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 10:24:57 PM EDT
[#10]
My dad has one of those! Said it wouldn’t hit a 5 gallon bucket at 5 yards.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 12:15:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Older thread but don't load an overcharge into it.  You need something in front of the powder to hold it compressed as well.  If you can't find BP locally, keep an eye open for civil war re-enactments in your area.  There's usually at least one person selling cans of BP at those events.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 10:38:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Just to update; I never loaded this pistol with anything, and last week I finally put it on the bedroom wall. Just a piece of wood, wrapped with brown packing paper, and sprayed with lacquer. I drilled some small holes, then mounted the pistol on there with the small baling wire that comes with chicken wire.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 3:03:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I built one of these from a kit years ago, it was good except the frame to barrel threads, they were way under spec, hitting on it the tips of the thread only.
Not good, so I drilled a small hole from the side of the barrel into the threads and silver soldiered it on. Worked fine.

The best shots are with a very tight patch on the ball, if too loose it just pops and half the black powder is expelled.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top