Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2022 7:44:27 AM EDT
A buddy flagged a deal on primed .380 brass that was 7 cents per case delivered.

I was needing more .380 brass anyway, so figured I'd go ahead and pick up some primers for below market value as well.

I could deprime all of these VERY slowly with a Lee universal decapping die, but I'd rather not.

So, what are the tips and tricks for loading already primed brass which has had the bullet pulled?

Back the sizing stem out so the decapping pin doesn't hit the primer? Just run them through and let the Dillon PM bell the mouth like usual prior to seating and FCD crimping?

Any insight is appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:48:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Pull the decapping pin from your sizing die and proceed as usual.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 8:17:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 8:55:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Exactly.

Don't skip resizing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Exactly.

Don't skip resizing.

Perfect. I'll pull the decapping rod/sizing button from the Lee dies and run them through the 650 like normal.

Thanks, gents
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 8:59:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:05:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Perfect. I'll pull the decapping rod/sizing button from the Lee dies and run them through the 650 like normal.

Thanks, gents
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Exactly.

Don't skip resizing.

Thanks, gents

Careful, depending on the sizer constriction you may need the size button.  Many dies are set up for worst case scenario from the die designer’s standpoint, thin necks.  So it covers that with slightly (hopefully) excessive constriction in the die, followed by the proper inner sizing with the button.   I have seen dies with excessive constriction that if not followed by an expander you will likely crush case seating a bullet.  Ask me how I know! . RCBS .223 rem FL dies I had were on the order of ten thousandths neck constriction/interference fit, iirc.

If you have an expander on the powder station then you’re all set as you have duplicate expansion.  IIRC most Dillon pistol setups have the expander on the powder station, and most typical rifle is just a case activator on the mouth but not an expander.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:10:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Careful, depending on the sizer constriction you may need the size button.  Many dies are set up for worst case scenario from the die designer’s standpoint, thin necks.  So it covers that with slightly (hopefully) excessive constriction in the die, followed by the proper inner sizing with the button.   I have seen dies with excessive constriction that if not followed by an expander you will likely crush case seating a bullet.  Ask me how I know! . RCBS .223 rem FL dies I had were on the order of ten thousandths neck constriction/interference fit, iirc.

If you have an expander on the powder station then you’re all set as you have duplicate expansion.  IIRC most Dillon pistol setups have the expander on the powder station, and most typical rifle is just a case activator on the mouth but not an expander.
View Quote

Agreed, 100%.

I've never seen a standard die that did NOT require the expander to be used.  

You need a die from which the primer punch can be removed.  If it's a one piece, non-removable primer punch, buy a replacement stem and cut the punch off.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:52:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I was wondering about the sizing die sans decapping rod sizing the brass too small for the Dillon PM expander to open, but was going to test it before I'd do a large run.

Quoted:

Agreed, 100%.

I've never seen a standard die that did NOT require the expander to be used.  

You need a die from which the primer punch can be removed.  If it's a one piece, non-removable primer punch, buy a replacement stem and cut the punch off.

Great idea ref cutting the decapping pin portion off a Lee decapping rod if the die sizes the case too small for the Dillon PM to expand/bell it for seating.

Based on Lee using the same decapping rods for all of their straight wall pistol dies, I'm guessing they cut the inside of the die to NOT require a pull through expansion button, but I'll test on a couple pieces of primed brass with the rod totally removed before doing a large run.

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#8]
380 is not a rifle round

Generally speaking Pistol decapping rods do not have an expander ball.  
The expanding of the case mouth is done with a separate die or the powder thru expander.

Either remove the assembly or just take out the decapping pin.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
380 is not a rifle round

The expanding of the case mouth is done with a separate die or the powder thru expander.

View Quote

+1

This is the correct response to the comments and concerns on the expanding on a .380 and other straight wall cases.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:01:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
380 is not a rifle round

View Quote

Thank you.  I was wondering what they were talking about.  Pistol dies have a FL/decap and a separate expander.  Just pull the decap pin and size them and then expand.  I have done it a few times with 9mm and 380 that I pulled down.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:54:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I think some might be thinking the die may be relying on the decapping rod to also stop the die from under sizing the case mouth too much.

Never sized a straight wall pistol case without a decapping rod in place, so I just don’t know.

I’m guessing removing the rod won’t be an issue and the Dillon powder funnel will bell the case mouth like normal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top