Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2021 11:24:33 AM EDT
Currently I'm making two runs; seat, adjust, then crimp.

Cheap bastard in me says carry on but for the sake of continuity/hopefully accuracy I'm considering a separate crimp die but which one? Then back to the cheap bastard inside... Not yourall's problem!

TL;DR
What crimp die for 38spec/357mag.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 11:29:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Lots of guys like the Lee factory crimp.  I use the Dillon’s on my Dillon
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 11:38:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

2nd This.  I have a huge stock of good old 150gr SWCL lubed bullets and the quick drop seat die for cleaning out any wax buildup is a winner.

I cast up new stock and powder coat - but for plinker/practic/ give away to guests on my range its good enough and not worth my time and effort to reclaim until it been fired down range.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 11:45:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I seat with a Hornady die, and crimp with an old LEE seater/crimp die.  It makes a nice roll crimp. I have it adjusted to crimp only, and not seat.

any decent roll crimp die will work fine.

Link Posted: 5/8/2021 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I use Redding’s profile crimp die. Like you, I prefer to seat and crimp in separate operations but if push comes to shove I’ll seat and crimp at the same time. You can read the die manufacturers long winded instructions or go with my clif note version. To set the die to seat and crimp you first set the seating depth with the crimp shoulder of the die up out of the way. Then you set the amount of crimp you want with the seat plug up out of the way and set the die lock ring. Then you lower the seat plug until it touches the bullet.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 12:35:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Any roll crimp seating die will work, just back off the seater plug or remove it entirely. I prefer to use Dillon seating dies when loading lead revolver rounds, they have a clip you can pull to clean out accumulated lube without changing your settings.

I use a roll crimp on my revolver rounds.

Link Posted: 5/8/2021 12:50:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Does that use a roll crimp? I used to use one on my 223 rounds but didn't have a need so I shelved it.

Link Posted: 5/8/2021 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 2:27:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Does that use a roll crimp? I used to use one on my 223 rounds but didn't have a need so I shelved it.

View Quote

One of you FCD guys know the answer?  I don’t.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 2:41:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

One of you FCD guys know the answer?  I don't.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lee FCD's work completely differently from rifle to pistol.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 2:56:25 PM EDT
[#10]
If you are going to roll crimp 38 Special on a progressive press like a RL550 sort all the brass for length or trim all to the same length.. something I learned the hard way decades ago.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 3:44:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I just seat and crimp with the same pull of the handle with RCBS dies.  No need to crimp in a separate step unless you want a heavier than normal crimp, which is not necessary for 38 Sp
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 6:24:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I like my Lee FCD.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Any roll crimp seating die will work, just back off the seater plug or remove it entirely. I prefer to use Dillon seating dies when loading lead revolver rounds, they have a clip you can pull to clean out accumulated lube without changing your settings.

I use a roll crimp on my revolver rounds.

View Quote

Absolutely love that feature on the Dillon dies.   In the day I shot a lot of Carroll or Northeast wax lubed cast bullets.  You would eventually get a plyg of wax in the dies from bits in the box of bullets  that were displaced.

Pull the clip pin, wipe or brush and reinstall.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 6:34:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Same here, FCD is a winner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I seat with a Hornady die, and crimp with an old LEE seater/crimp die.  It makes a nice roll crimp. I have it adjusted to crimp only, and not seat.

any decent roll crimp die will work fine.

Same here, FCD is a winner.

I'm not using the FCD.

just a regular vanilla flavored ancient LEE seater / crimp die.

I seat with hornady, and that old LEE puts a nice roll crimp on.

I avoid the FCD because I heard it can undersize lead bullets.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/8/2021 8:55:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I reload and shoot the shit out of .38 SPL using 125 and 158gr pills and all crimped with a lee FCR. At least 2-3k per year. Never a problem.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 9:19:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have a winner!
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for all the responses!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top