Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2018 7:48:24 PM EDT
How can loading be made easier on the 1894?  I was thinking of removing the loading gate and filing down the back towards the front so it goes in deeper when you press the gate in.  Maybe a very slight bevel on the opening to the magazine tube so rounds don't catch.

Anyway just thinking out loud.  Ideas, tips or suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 8:17:42 PM EDT
[#1]
You push the first one in ,but dont insert it all the way ,leave the rim still depressing the loading gate .
The next one pushes the first one completly and leave rim of the second one , and repeat .

Gary
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 8:25:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Ask around on the MarlinOwners site; you'll get a lot of good advice there. You could remove the gate and use a stone to remove a small amount of metal from the back of the gate, reducing the effective spring strength. Doing some stone work around the loading port to put a small radius on sharp edges may help prevent pinching.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 10:09:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You push the first one in ,but dont insert it all the way ,leave the rim still depressing the loading gate .
The next one pushes the first one completly and leave rim of the second one , and repeat .

Gary
View Quote
Thanks, hadn't thought about that.  I was used to pushing the rounds all the way in like a shotgun.

I'll look around the Marlin forum and see what I can find.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 10:13:32 PM EDT
[#4]
You may want to look into one of the new loading gates from RPP.  I was a beta tester for the 336 model and it is light years ahead of the factory gate.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 1:31:01 PM EDT
[#5]
You can take the gate off and bend it to reduce the spring tension, just be sure to do a little at a time.. That’s what I did and works awesome along with the loading trick mentioned above.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 11:45:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Gary
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 10:08:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Gary
View Quote
Best trick I ever learned about loading my Marlins is this.

The only round that becomes a pain in the thumb is the last one in.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 11:10:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Gary
View Quote
This is the method I use, works like a charm. The SASS guys use a speed loader made out of a tube
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 9:37:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I can't speak to the Marlin Model 1894, but on the Winchester Model 92 and clones, there are a couple common modifications - especially the stiffer sprung Rossi 92s.

You can thin the spring on the loading gate by about 1/3 reduce the pressure needed to open it.

You can also shorten the magazine spring slightly to make the last couple rounds easier to load.

Otherwise, as several folks have noted, just stop short and let the rim keep the loading gate open until you push the next round in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top