Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2022 6:00:52 PM EDT
Odd question perhaps but is there a limit to how many times a AR can be cerakoted? I'm concerned that multiple passes through the blast cabinet will open up the tolerances on the parts. Is there anything to suggest this is or isn't a thing?
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 3:34:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Generally speaking I tape off the inside of the receiver and critical mating surfaces.
So in theory you could keep on blasting off  old layer, and reapply as no buildup would occur.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 4:35:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes. Any material removing operation removes material. How much depends on whoever does the work. Will it matter? Who knows? Take a before and after measurement of the areas that you are concerned with. Compare the dimensions to a new sample or a drawing to see if it matters.

What are we talking here? 2 times? 3 times? 8 times?
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 4:54:02 PM EDT
[#3]
as long as you don't go much farther than just taking the color off it will be fine. kind of like a guide coat when doing body work
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 9:48:57 PM EDT
[#4]
In this particular case, it'd be the 4th time. I'm concerned that this is too much and the receiver set is going to be pushed to the edge of the tolerence specs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top