Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 1/2/2021 3:45:09 PM EDT
I’m looking for a lightweight folder to take backpacking with me. It will be used for general small campsite activities, nothing heavy duty. Weight is the biggest factor but I want something with a useful blade and can stand up to the elements. I usually get Kershaw knives because I live near the factory and can get them sharpened and serviced there but I’m open to other brands. Looking to keep it under $50.
What recommendations do you all have?
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 3:59:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Stainless Opinel.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 4:01:07 PM EDT
[#2]
For a cheap folder I like the Esee Zancudo. Not sure what your weight limit is. I'm not even sure if they still make them? I was given one and it held an edge pretty good. Its about the cheapest knife I have these days.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 4:12:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stainless Opinel.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/2/2021 5:49:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I definitely want something with a pocket clip so I think the Opinel is out. The Zancudo looks good and I know Esee quality because I have an Esee 3. It says it’s 3.3 ounces with a 3 inch blade length. I think I’d like something a little smaller, maybe 2.5 inch blade and under 3 ounces.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 7:47:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Kershaw Skyline.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 8:15:39 PM EDT
[#6]
A little more money but has to be lighter is the Boker Gentleman's Trapper. I cleaned and quartered 3 antelope as well as did some processing on them before I need to resharpen the blade. I wouldn't use it for any heavy duty tasks though.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I definitely want something with a pocket clip so I think the Opinel is out. The Zancudo looks good and I know Esee quality because I have an Esee 3. It says it's 3.3 ounces with a 3 inch blade length. I think I'd like something a little smaller, maybe 2.5 inch blade and under 3 ounces.
View Quote
Blue Ridge Knife Co makes those and sold by ESEE. You can see BRK on the blade. Rowen makes the ESEE knives with the great warranty. The Rat 1 and 2 knives from Ontario are BRK knives too.
ETA: The fixed blade Zancudo is made by Rowen and the folders are by BRK.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#8]
The Ontario Rat II (liner lock) can be had in multiple colors four position movable pocket clip, D2 or AUS-8, 3" blade weighing 2.8-3.0 oz priced between $36-$39.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The Ontario Rat II (liner lock) can be had in multiple colors four position movable pocket clip, D2 or AUS-8, 3" blade weighing 2.8-3.0 oz priced between $36-$39.
View Quote

That looks real nice!
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That looks real nice!
View Quote

There are lighter options.  A Spyderco Delica lightweight 4 or Endura would be light. The Opinels are probably the lightest.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the size and weight of the Delica 4, but it seems like you’re paying a premium for the Spiderco name. $85 for a plastic handled knife seems a little high. Or maybe I’m just a cheap ass? :-)
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:05:32 AM EDT
[#12]
If you want a small fixed blade, the Cold Steel Mini Pendleton hunter is fantastic. VG-1 steel, 3" blade, 2.8 oz. It has a good contoured rubbery, grippy handle too.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 8:30:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I like the size and weight of the Delica 4, but it seems like you’re paying a premium for the Spiderco name. $85 for a plastic handled knife seems a little high. Or maybe I’m just a cheap ass? :-)
View Quote

Not defending Spyderco but if you are focused on what the handle is made of and not the blade, your attention is mis-applied
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 8:46:22 AM EDT
[#14]
SAK
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 11:46:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not defending Spyderco but if you are focused on what the handle is made of and not the blade, your attention is mis-applied
View Quote

I’m concerned with both.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are fiberglass reinforced nylon, they’re extremely durable and it’s what makes them lightweight. I have seen ones that have survived several owners.

The Military has G10 scales and partial Ti liners and lock as well as premium steel but the price goes up significantly.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:37:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They are fiberglass reinforced nylon, they’re extremely durable and it’s what makes them lightweight. I have seen ones that have survived several owners.

The Military has G10 scales and partial Ti liners and lock as well as premium steel but the price goes up significantly.
View Quote

Copy. I think I’m gonna order a Delica. At 2.5 ounces, it appears to be the best quality for weight. If there’s a lighter, more durable knife for less than the Delica I’m not seeing it. Price appears to be pretty consistent everywhere at around $84 unless someone knows something I don’t?
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:39:34 PM EDT
[#18]
If your close to Kershaw the Blur is about as general use as it gets. Only about 4 oz or so.  If you are looking at the Spiderco at that light weight, then it’s prob out.
I have an Ontario Rat folder that’s a good slicer, cutter as well.
It’s cheaper than the Blur unless you go used and sharpen it up.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 12:47:54 AM EDT
[#19]
I have 2 Blur’s and they’re my favorite general use folder, but I ended up buying a Delica for a backpacking knife as it’s smaller and lighter.
Also, I’m about 10 minutes from Kershaw so I get them sharpened for free
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 7:52:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Kershaw Skyline.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 12:22:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
SAK
View Quote

Yes, more useful than many give it credit for and for lighter duties, it will be fine.

Carry a fixed in tandem.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 7:32:44 PM EDT
[#22]
My go to for distance backpacking and what I judge all others against is Spdyerco's Dragonfly 2 (in orange) which is 1.3oz and on-sale at BladeHQ for $70.

One that is just under your price range which has really impressed me is the Honey Badger; a little heavier at 2.5oz, but it is a really well done little folder:

ROCK6
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top