Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2020 7:52:43 PM EDT
Anyone out there making lightweight 10/22 Takedown barrels with a steel breech face?

I heard that TacSol has an Aluminum breech face and some have reported some deformation on the face from the bolt. I just bought a Kidd UltraLW barrel that has a nice steel breech, but they don't make anything in the TD variety. Building TDs for the kids and want to guns to last and be lightweight for them to be able to carry and shoot off hand.  I am thinking about getting factory Ruger 16" Threaded CHF barrels w/ ironsights, only downside is the 2lb weight.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 8:51:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 9:20:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Does the breech have a steel shank? It appears to be a homogenous aluminum piece all throughout.

What is the quality of Whistle Pig?
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 9:28:00 PM EDT
[#3]
How much shooting would you need to get deformation in the Tac Sol barrel?  Mine is super light and goes well with the TD.  

Thought about getting this one simply b/c it has the scope mount attached to the barrel - eliminating the need to rezero. The TDs I've seen are not super tight in the lockup.
https://volquartsen.com/departments/ruger-1022-takedown/products/1198-lightweight-barrels-for-ruger-10-22-takedown
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 9:48:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File

Here is mine. It has a steel liner no shank. I see your concern but think your over thinking this. Honestly if your kids shoot out a 10/22 barrel they have achieved something. And with the cost and modularity of the 10/22 they can just pick up a barrel 80yrs down the road and reinstall it themselves if it’s ever a issue.

As far as accuracy mine is very accurate for a take down SBR. 25yards with a red dot easy to get 1” groups. If you want accuracy I’d stick with a fixed barrel and go Kidd or some other receiver manufacturer. The current 10/22s are pretty poor.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 9:50:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Honestly if your kids shoot out a 10/22 barrel they have achieved something. And with the cost and modularity of the 10/22 they can just pick up a barrel 80yrs down the road and reinstall it themselves if it’s ever a issue.

If you want accuracy I’d stick with a fixed barrel and go Kidd or some other receiver manufacturer. The current 10/22s are pretty poor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Honestly if your kids shoot out a 10/22 barrel they have achieved something. And with the cost and modularity of the 10/22 they can just pick up a barrel 80yrs down the road and reinstall it themselves if it’s ever a issue.

If you want accuracy I’d stick with a fixed barrel and go Kidd or some other receiver manufacturer. The current 10/22s are pretty poor.

That is a good 1st point.  I would hope my kids would shoot out the barrels. My concern would be 40, 60, 80yrs down the road, will the Takedown barrel be replaced with a new style and replacements for this style will be much harder to find?  Hard to future proof things which is why I figure make sure what I build now lasts.  I like hearing stories of handed down guns 2, 3, 4, generations and the guns still performing well.  I am overthinking it and feel like the factory barrel would be a bulletproof route.  Just not sure if it'll be too heavy for a kid to shoot or carry around the woods.

Accuracy isn't the main focal point.  Lightweight, durable and respectable/reasonable accuracy is sufficient.  Mostly going to be shooting plinking ammo through these things.  I already have 2 Brownell's BRN-22 TD Classic receivers that I got on sale for $200 for both that are waiting for parts to come back in stock. They have a much higher tolerance than factory receivers.  Since these are also virgin 10/22 TD receivers, I also haven't decided carbine vs charger.  Seeing the news with the ATF and the Honey Badger Pistol makes me just want to build the carbine and avoid any issues down the road in regards to pistol braces.

Quoted:
How much shooting would you need to get deformation in the Tac Sol barrel?  Mine is super light and goes well with the TD.  

Thought about getting this one simply b/c it has the scope mount attached to the barrel - eliminating the need to rezero. The TDs I've seen are not super tight in the lockup.
https://volquartsen.com/departments/ruger-1022-takedown/products/1198-lightweight-barrels-for-ruger-10-22-takedown

I've heard it around here before and recall hearing about it when I put together a 10/22 back in 2012/'13.  I ended up using a Tacsol barrel back then and noticed breech wear with at least the anodizing with less than 1k.  Sold off that 10/22 a while back to fund an AR-22 project.

There is a guy in my other thread that said his started to deform at 5k.  A quick search showed a guy had mushrooming of the breech at 10k.
Lightweight 10/22 LW barrel

With that said, I saw someone mention Whistle pig barrel have similar build designs as Tacsol, in which case I could just go with Tacsol and that would also give me iron sights for similar pricing.

I am trying to not break the bank given that I am building twins for the kids.  So I'd be buying 2 barrels and as much as I want the kids to have the best, I can't justify spending $900 for 2 barrels. The Factory Ruger barrels are running right now at $135 per barrel that includes the locking hardware.  I was somewhere in the ballpark of about <$250 per barrel that seems to get me into some good barrels.  I am absolutely find with aluminum sleeved/steel lined barrels.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 4:26:07 PM EDT
[#6]
So TacSol got back to me and states that their X-ring Takedown barrels have a steel shank/breech face.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 4:55:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So TacSol got back to me and states that their X-ring Takedown barrels have a steel shank/breech face.
View Quote

They make good stuff.

I have let my 9yr old shoot 22s since she was 6yr old.

She likes her CZ452 Scout with red dot and suppressor. As far as semi autos goes said she likes the 10/22TD SBR/Whistle pig setup the best now. I have 3 other 22 SBRs one of which is a 10/22 and the other 2 AR variants. She likes the whistle pig TD SBR the best due to weight and movability. It is lite and accurate for what it is.  

But I will have to say if you are looking for that 100Yr old heirloom quality 22 rifle the CZ 452/455 lines can not be beat. They feel and look like your great grandpapas 22 without the huge host.  The 455 line can do barrel/ caliber swaps. So buy 2 guns and then 2-3 barrels and let the kids turn it into their rifle as they get older. 22lr vs 17M2 vs 22M vs 17HMR etc...

Just a idea.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 7:42:16 PM EDT
[#8]
My thoughts is to keep the TD 10/22 relatively simple but with premium parts.  No plans to add fancy optics, lights, bipods etc.  Maybe a cheap red dot just to get them started.  I can't take out my oldest offspring shooting until next Summer, which is when he is permitted to come with me to the outdoor range.  Hopefully next month will produce some great sales.

I plan on going the TacSol Xring now.  It has all the bell and whistles anyone could want.  Lightweight, fluting, threaded, steel shank, accurate and has iron sights.  I did consider the charger route with the reason why your kids enjoy them. The weight savings and less leveraged weight at the end of the barrel.  Too much uncertainty with "pistols" though right now depending on how the ATF responds to "Q" and its possible implications for other "pistols".  I did weigh that option heavily initially.

When I think heirloom, its not necessarily the classic wood stocked blued finish heirloom I was thinking, but more so a reliable, durable piece that can be passed down because they work well and brings back memories for them.  It is for them to enjoy and hopefully they can share that joy with their kids 1 day.  I know most people think that classic hunting rifle format when heirloom comes to mind. I feel like the appreciation for nice wood on rifles is fading.  I'll admit I am not 1 to be able to fully appreciate the beauty of a nice wood finish on a rifle.  I like seeing them, but wouldn't want one. The build will be essentially a custom 10/22 where it won't need anything changed.  The only Ruger about it will be the BX-25 I intend to get once it becomes available and maybe a bolt with upgraded hardened parts.  I wouldn't want to go hunting now with a wood stock, even though I know its fine, I prefer the weather/ding resistant polymer options out there.

While I did consider getting a bolt gun for them, I decided against it because I feel like they will enjoy the 10/22 more.  Cost of this 10/22 will already be upwards of $600 per rifle.  And I am building two.  However, A Tikka T1x in 17hmr is on my wishlist to teach the kids on a bolt action platform though.  That will eventually replace my Savage 93R17 Heavy barrel threaded which will probably end up in their hands 1 day for a plinker for them.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 10:02:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Good deal.

I’d say get them a red dot tho. Mine lost interest with irons quickly due to not hitting anything at first.

The red dot allowed them to make hits and feel a sense of accomplishment. After my oldest got good with the red dot I then introduced her to a rifle with a scope and once the new wore off of it back down to irons which she then quickly mastered.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 10:26:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Good deal.

I’d say get them a red dot tho. Mine lost interest with irons quickly due to not hitting anything at first.

The red dot allowed them to make hits and feel a sense of accomplishment. After my oldest got good with the red dot I then introduced her to a rifle with a scope and once the new wore off of it back down to irons which she then quickly mastered.
View Quote

That is what I've heard and the theory behind going RDS first.  Point, lay the dot over a target, shoot.  Get them interested by allowing them to get good hits.  I am currently also building a Kidd 10/22 for myself that I intend them to start with a red dot.  Other builds I've done for them took a couple years to complete as funds and sales were available.  But I hope to get the Kidd build finished up in couple months.  Get some Shoot'N'See targets and I think he will have a blast seeing the hits.

I know some folk are keen on learning irons first, but I want to make sure I get the kids interested in the sport first.  That will give them drive and eventually learn irons when they can comprehend the concept better.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 10:33:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That is what I've heard and the theory behind going RDS first.  Point, lay the dot over a target, shoot.  Get them interested by allowing them to get good hits.  I am currently also building a Kidd 10/22 for myself that I intend them to start with a red dot.  Other builds I've done for them took a couple years to complete as funds and sales were available.  But I hope to get the Kidd build finished up in couple months.  Get some Shoot'N'See targets and I think he will have a blast seeing the hits.

I know some folk are keen on learning irons first, but I want to make sure I get the kids interested in the sport first.  That will give them drive and eventually learn irons when they can comprehend the concept better.
View Quote

If possible go with steel targets in the shapes of animals. Mine seem to like those.  I have a bear, alligator, triceratops, hog and T. rex. And various shapes like big squares small rounds and even a apple. Lol

These can be bought on eBay pretty cheaply.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 12:10:02 AM EDT
[#12]
What's wrong with the factory 10/22 takedown lite with aluminum tensioned barrel? #21152 4.5lbs.

I have a few steel barrel model # 11125 at 4.6lbs but also has a slightly longer barrel, steel flash hider and 25rd mag all for 1/10lb more.

Model # 31152 at 4.2lbs with threaded steel barrel.

I personally would rather have an all steel barrel for durability even if a little heavier. It's not like a 16" sporter barrel 10/22 is heavy to begin with.

About 10 years ago I had a 10/22 with an aluminum shrouded barrel. Sure it took several rounds but the aluminum breach end mushroomed terribly and the steel liner got pushed forward. It was enough to severely effect function and was a pain to remove from the receiver. I won't buy or recommend anything but a steel breach barrel.

Link Posted: 10/29/2020 9:26:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's not like a 16" sporter barrel 10/22 is heavy to begin with.
View Quote

I too would prefer durability which is why I was seeking a steel breech face.  And while a 2lb barrel may not be much for adults, the 2 TDs I am building aren't for me, but for my kids.  TacSol TD barrels apparent have steel rearends, iron sights and aluminum shroud.  So it became the barrel that fit all my needs. Durable on the breech end, lightweight, threaded and integral iron sights was a bonus.

Factory parts have been difficult to source, but TacSol TD barrels have been available.  I am looking around for a Charger Lite barrel though so I'm keeping my eyes peeled for those.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top