Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2022 6:27:27 PM EDT
Hello! I'm having an issue on my post sample 10.5" AR running on full auto. It will run for 2-4 rounds, then I get a light primer strike. Seems to run fine on semi auto. PArts list below, followed by what I've done to try to correct it:

-Odin Works 10.5" 223 Wylde barrel
-Odin Works adjustable gas block
-Odin Works carbine length gas tube
-Radian Raptor charging handle
-SLR Rifleworks B15 upper
-ADM UIC lower
-Geissele SSF trigger
-Odin Works adjustable buffer (weight is ~6oz right now)
-JP Enhanced buffer spring
-Spikes Tactical BCG

So far I have tried an H2 buffer, I've tried medium to heavy adjustment levels on the Odin Works buffer, and I have tried adjusting the gas from almost completely closed to almost completely open. I've had almost identical results the entire time (slightly better with the gas almost completely open, and while running suppressed).

My first thought is that it is bolt bounce, but I want to know what some of your recommendations would be to remedy this issue. Thank you!

Link Posted: 7/23/2022 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Heavier buffer or adjustable gas.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 6:39:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Does the buffer have room for the weights to shake back and forth? You shouldn't be having bolt bounce issues if you have H2 weights in a properly reciprocating buffer.

You may need to check your timing. If the hole is drilled to far back you may be releasing early and following the bolt down every few rounds.  Alternatively your upper could be sitting farther forward than it should or your carrier trip face could be a little forward.

You could probably bandaid over it with an extended firing pin.

I would put a new H2 buffer in, then swap a new BCG in, then swap uppers and see which one eliminates the failures. If they continue you probably have an issue with the location of your sear pin hole.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 6:41:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quarterbore has good instructions on checking the timing of a RDIAS. You can use them to check timing on your conversion as well.
http://www.quarterbore.com/nfa/dias.html
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 10:34:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Greyknight] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
Does the buffer have room for the weights to shake back and forth? You shouldn't be having bolt bounce issues if you have H2 weights in a properly reciprocating buffer.

You may need to check your timing. If the hole is drilled to far back you may be releasing early and following the bolt down every few rounds.  Alternatively your upper could be sitting farther forward than it should or your carrier trip face could be a little forward.

You could probably bandaid over it with an extended firing pin.

I would put a new H2 buffer in, then swap a new BCG in, then swap uppers and see which one eliminates the failures. If they continue you probably have an issue with the location of your sear pin hole.
View Quote

This. I've seen it on an m16a1 and a Dias gun.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 3:35:55 PM EDT
[#6]
BTDT: New Hammer Spring
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 3:45:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TREETOP] [#7]
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 7:20:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Light primer strikes like you have are almost always bolt bounce.

I would video it (iPhone can do 240fps), and see if you can see it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 3:21:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bruh44] [#9]
Originally Posted By GiggleSmith:
BTDT: New Hammer Spring
View Quote

This fixed it for me when I had light primer strikes.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 11:41:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#10]
Originally Posted By RenegadeX:
Light primer strikes like you have are almost always bolt bounce.

I would video it (iPhone can do 240fps), and see if you can see it.
View Quote

This.

OP you have a lot of variables running all those non-standard parts. I would remove all the adjustable and “enhanced” parts and use standard milspec components that are known to work.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 1:59:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Definitely sounds like a bolt bounce issue.

As already mentioned I’d replace the fancy RE parts with milspec ones and see what happens.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 7:58:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Frens:
Definitely sounds like a bolt bounce issue.

As already mentioned I’d replace the fancy RE parts with milspec ones and see what happens.
View Quote

THIS! avoid ALL aftermarket BS parts.My Colts all run 100%.No BS gizzle triggers ect.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top