Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2022 6:13:38 AM EDT
EDIT: well I heard back from the seller and I guess he sold the gun already So I guess my search continues. The Lewis thread in GD got me thinking about it again but would love to hear more history on that gun if anybody knows it?

I have been toying with the idea of a transferable Lewis gun for a while and ran into one at a local show but I have questions.

It’s an odd gun and pictures below. It is apparently one of one and is a French manufactured gun in 303 and is listed by serial number in the Belgian Rattlesnakes book but I do not have a copy of it.

My concerns are that I’m a shooter and not a collector. I understand that BSA parts SHOULD be compatible with it but my worries are breaking something that’s u Ian’s to the gun and thus irreplaceable. Can nobody tell me more about this gun or have a copy of the book?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 7:22:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately not really gonna be of help here, Ive only ever worked on two of them. But that is a nice gun. They are cool as hell with the only real drawback is the calibers it shoots
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 7:52:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Not specific to the Lewis and just my opinion, but if you describe yourself as a shooter and not a collector, you probably don't want this gun.  As a "one of one" example, it will undoubtedly sell for a lot more than a run-of-the-mill Lewis and most of its value will be derived from its collectability.  Even if you put a complete parts kit on the receiver to shoot, the wear on the receiver and the possibility of real damage will keep you from enjoying it as a functional machine gun.

Find yourself an ordinary shooter-grade Lewis and have fun with it.  They are fascinating mechanisms and a hoot on the firing line.  When I had mine, it always got the most comments at MG shoots.  "What is that- a rocket launcher?" was my favorite.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 9:28:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Well I say I’m a shooter but I guess that’s subjective. I guess I won’t be doing as much of it now that Knob Creek is done and the price of 303 ammo.

I have several other transferables in cheaper calibers to shoot and most of them have better parts availability (a Valmet M78 in 7.62x39 being the hardest to source parts for).  

I simply meant that it won’t be put up in a safe gathering dust. It will get shot and thus could break. The price is pretty reasonable for a transferable Lewis it’s just the 1 of 1 factor scares me a bit.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 8:58:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I see you're in PA. did you speak to Dennis Todd yet? im not certain but I think he may have had one at the Oaks show this weekend.  it's worth a phone call atleast.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:45:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Dang nice Lewis and rare.  I LOVE mine!
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I had two Lewis guns at one time.....a BSA ground gun and a Jap aircraft gun.  Neither one were even close to operable when I got them.
However, parts were really not that hard to find, but many had to be Tig welded up and refitted to the guns.  It only took a few hours to get both of them up and running.
If you're not a TiG welder/machinist and just plan to buy parts and drop them in, a Lewis Gun may not be for you.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:36:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey Tony,

I actually missed out on it as the guy sold it before I could make a decision on it.

I am decidedly NOT a machinist or gunsmith but I am friends with Curt and the guys from US Armament
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top