Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2021 1:25:31 PM EDT
Been looking to get my 2 year old an heirloom rifle and I posted about that last year. Based on the responses here I went with Henry and reached out about the custom serial number situation. Well, they aren't doing that this year probably, and couldn't really help me find something in stock anywhere except get me in touch with Cabelas gun buying survice.

Finally heard back today and it looks like Cabelas would be able to order me a side gate, case hardened, 357 henry (no custom serial but that's ok) and have it here in around 60 days. I'm interested! Price is about $980 which seems on par with what I'm finding with places actually claiming to have them in hand that aren't stupid high gun broker prices.

So I'm trying to decide about the 16" or 20" barrel models. I think I'll be changing the lever out for case hardened but not sure yet. The main use of the rifle would be generally plinking, range fun, and travel. We are in the SE USA so grizzly isn't a concern. I think the 20" might look cooler, but I know the shorter barrel will handle quicker especially where storage and travel are concerned.

I would think the accuracy is soda can accurate to 50 yards for either length and I'm happy with 357 out of a 4" revolver so not worried about the ballistic difference. I can't find a single damn lever action in any of the stores I've been to here in almost a year so I have zero hand's on experience.

thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 2:03:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I know that the balance on round barrel lever mechanisms like the Rossi R92s and Marlin 1894s are hugely affected by the different barrel lengths, and my personal preference on those is 16" due to a balance point in between my hands (makes it easier to snap up and shoot, easier when shucking the lever).  Conversely, a 16" .44 balances too far to the rear, and I prefer the 20" for that caliber for the same reason I like the 16" .357.  Also 16" pack and store easier.

No idea how any of that plays out with the octagonal barrel guns.  I just know that my personal preference is a balance point between my hands, rather than feeling like I'm supporting the main weight of the rifle squarely on my off hand and working the lever on my right; YMMV.

But man, those 20" Henry's look good
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 6:35:20 PM EDT
[#2]
16" for the reasons you stated, plus as they are growing into it, it will not be as unwieldy. A 43" tall kid for example will find a shorter carbine will be easier to wield.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 11:46:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:20:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Henry  .357 w/ 16” barrel and Leupold scope. 100 yard target.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:47:06 PM EDT
[#5]
totally cool!
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 8:09:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm waiting for a Henry Big Boy 357 16" color case hardened to come into stock.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 5:31:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Very nice! Congrats

I'd love to add a Henry All Weather side loader in .45 Colt and .44 Magnum to my collection some day.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 11:42:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 12:20:48 PM EDT
[#10]
The only thing you lose going with 16" in pistol calibers is magazine capacity.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top