Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2021 3:02:37 PM EDT
The Henry Case hardened 357 I ordered for my son showed up a few months early and I get to pick it up this weekend!~ I have been able to buy a couple hundred rounds of both 38 and 357 and will continue to do so, along with saving the brass.

I've not owned a lever gun in the better part of 15 years. What, if anything, do I need to have it in a usable fashioned? I'm thinking maybe ammo cuff and/or sling. Also a fancy case. The goal is to use this and teach my kids to shoot and an almost 50 states legal travel gun,  plus have it be a worthwhile heirloom.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#1]

Firstly, we need pictures!  Which model did you settle on, which model did you receive, did you get it with or without the loading gate?

Also, to answer your question, I might suggest dragging your wallet through Diamond D Custom Leather's website, and seeing what tickles your fancy.  I have their butt cuff and stamped black sling on my Marlin 1894 CSBL (among other accessories); take a gander:

I liked their product enough that I've since ordered two additional slings with some of the same pattern, and am waiting on a padded sling now for a grail rifle of mine.  And I'm seriously contemplating another butt cuff of theirs for my Ruger Scout.  The quality for the money is fantastic, IMO.

They also make scabbards and such if you like.  Then again, so does El Paso Saddlery, depending on the aesthetic for which you're going.

But really, we need pictures.  I know you were looking for a while, I love seeing what brings someone else some joy .

ETA:  A reloading setup with carbide dies might also be worth it, but this is a terrible day and age to be getting into components.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 3:42:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm hooked on peep sights now.  Never had one until I picked up a Marlin with the XS sights and I want them on all my rifles now.  

A henry is on my next-to-buy list once they have the 16 inch steel carbine with threaded barrel.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 4:40:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm hooked on peep sights now.  Never had one until I picked up a Marlin with the XS sights and I want them on all my rifles now.

A henry is on my next-to-buy list once they have the 16 inch steel carbine with threaded barrel.  
View Quote
I am not so much hooked but peeps are a necessity for me.  Forward mounted rear sights never worked well for me and I found out why when doing a vision test for uncle sam.  The machine had tiny objects like the letter E.  I had  a problem seeing the tiny things, but thought I had perfect vision.  I could read the standard eye chart just fine.

Then, they gave me a magic wand like a paddle with a pin hole.  When I looked through it, the E cleared up perfectly.  This is when I knew the reason for the peep sights.  

Probably half of my lever guns have peep sights.  I mostly don't do anything to them but shoot them.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 4:44:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Shoot it and find out IMO.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#5]
One of the best things you can do to shoot smaller groups with a lever gun is increase the sight radius by adding either a receiver mounted, or tang mounted peep sight. When shooting 38/357/44 S/44 M/45 Colt, there really is no need for glass, at least for me. If you're shooting game at a distance where glass is warranted, you most likely are going to be at the outer limits of the cartridge's effective range. And the purist/fudd in me just appreciates the lines of an un-glassed lever gun.
Slings, and stock cuffs are a solid addition as well. Functional utility is always a good thing.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 6:52:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Firstly, we need pictures!  Which model did you settle on, which model did you receive, did you get it with or without the loading gate?

Also, to answer your question, I might suggest dragging your wallet through Diamond D Custom Leather's website, and seeing what tickles your fancy.  I have their butt cuff and stamped black sling on my Marlin 1894 CSBL (among other accessories); take a gander:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129976/356475DD-2DDA-4832-AAB9-3610B94DDE03-1806419.jpg

I liked their product enough that I've since ordered two additional slings with some of the same pattern, and am waiting on a padded sling now for a grail rifle of mine.  And I'm seriously contemplating another butt cuff of theirs for my Ruger Scout.  The quality for the money is fantastic, IMO.

They also make scabbards and such if you like.  Then again, so does El Paso Saddlery, depending on the aesthetic for which you're going.

But really, we need pictures.  I know you were looking for a while, I love seeing what brings someone else some joy .

ETA:  A reloading setup with carbide dies might also be worth it, but this is a terrible day and age to be getting into components.
View Quote

Didn’t pick it up yet, will on Saturday. Gonna take the kids and make an adventure out of it.

It’s the 16” case hardened side loading gate. At least it damn sure better be!!! I’ll post pics when it gets here for sure. I’m excited!
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Must haves for me

Skinner or XS sights for the longer sight radius and I just shoot aperture sights better

stock cuff to hold extra ammo, I just cheap out and just put an elastic one on

sling of your choosing if you're going to carry it

On my Marlins I always remove the bolt everytime I clean so I put an RPP lever thumb screw on for ease of lever removal.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 4:37:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Lots more ammo :) a .38/357 is really a fun gun to shoot. I've got 4 of them (no Henry's in .357 tho)
Jon makes a lot of lether lever products, you might want to check his website out..

https://gunstockcover.com/
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Didn’t pick it up yet, will on Saturday. Gonna take the kids and make an adventure out of it.

It’s the 16” case hardened side loading gate. At least it damn sure better be!!! I’ll post pics when it gets here for sure. I’m excited!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129976/356475DD-2DDA-4832-AAB9-3610B94DDE03-1806419.jpg

@steviesterno16 where did you get it from?  I want one bad and can't find one in stock anywhere.  Hell, I'd even backorder one if I found a dealer with a good price I could trust.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 8:26:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

@steviesterno16 where did you get it from?  I want one bad and can't find one in stock anywhere.  Hell, I'd even backorder one if I found a dealer with a good price I could trust.
View Quote

@Master_Shake_TX I ordered on through Cabela's gun finder program through their gun library. They said they could get any model, just may take a bit. I was quoted 2+ months but it ended up being less than one, so I'm a happy camper. It was under MSRP by a bit, too.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 11:44:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

@Master_Shake_TX

Very happy with the experience. Maybe 25 minutes from getting to the store to walking out with it. They even found some ammo in the back that fits

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

@Master_Shake_TX

Very happy with the experience. Maybe 25 minutes from getting to the store to walking out with it. They even found some ammo in the back that fits

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/455820/6A8E1558-11DD-4BF0-87D7-490CEF0676BB_jpe-1899626.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/455820/9FE14C46-FB0D-4E97-B52A-34FB13CB97D6_jpe-1899629.JPG
View Quote

Beautiful!

I might have to stop in and talk with my local Cabelas about ordering a All Weather.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 1:07:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What, if anything, do I need to have it in a usable fashioned? ... plus have it be a worthwhile heirloom.
View Quote

A good cleaning kit is essential with a Dewey one piece coated rod.

Maybe make an heirloom quality wooden case to hold everything in fitted compartments.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 1:47:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

A good cleaning kit is essential with a Dewey one piece coated rod.

Maybe make an heirloom quality wooden case to hold everything in fitted compartments.
View Quote

I was going to use one of my bore snakes for it. Would that not be enough?

And if I made the box is sure wouldn’t last a lifetime. I’ll look for a good case
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 2:33:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

@Master_Shake_TX

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/455820/6A8E1558-11DD-4BF0-87D7-490CEF0676BB_jpe-1899626.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/455820/9FE14C46-FB0D-4E97-B52A-34FB13CB97D6_jpe-1899629.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Master_Shake_TX

Damn that's a beautiful rifle.

A buddy of mine works at a gun shop in GA, and he put one on backorder for me.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 2:42:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@Master_Shake_TX

View Quote
Beautiful.  Wouldn't mind seeing a few more pictures, myself.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 3:30:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Beautiful!

I might have to stop in and talk with my local Cabelas about ordering a All Weather.
View Quote

I stopped, ordered!

Now the wait, guy said, "couple weeks for sure, probably more like months". I'm ok with that.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 5:22:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I had a Henry X 44 Mag on back order for months. Finally found one on ammoseek. Picking up tomorrow. I’m not sure what’s going on with Henry. There a half dozen others that I want but can’t find. I had the best luck getting my all weathers at Walmart, believe it or not. Ymmv.

Look at WildDill on etsy for ammo sleeves. High quality custom stuff.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 6:26:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I had a Henry X 44 Mag on back order for months. Finally found one on ammoseek. Picking up tomorrow. I’m not sure what’s going on with Henry. There a half dozen others that I want but can’t find. I had the best luck getting my all weathers at Walmart, believe it or not. Ymmv.

Look at WildDill on etsy for ammo sleeves. High quality custom stuff.
View Quote

I think people are figuring out they punch above their pay grade. I can’t believe how nice a rifle i got for the price I paid. I’m going to be looking at adding from the family as I can.

Also people seem to be stocking up as we are staring down the barrel of the biggest fun grab in years/ever. Levers are low on the list and honestly there’s nothing my Henry won’t do that my ar will, at least for the first 9 shots
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top