Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2021 4:25:33 PM EDT
I know this has been discussed a million times, but a local military base is allowing some straightwall chamberings for deer hunting this winter(previously bow/shotgun only). The rule isn't finalized, but they expect either some common straightwall cartridges to be explicitly allowed "like 357 or 44mag" or "any straightwall cartridge".  Will find out the details in a week or two.

I have a few rifles I want to use (357/44/45colt) - what is a good hunting optic?  Short range (probably from a tree stand) and low light capability is the need.  

I thought about a red dot but have never used one on a lever action and never for hunting animals.
I'd like to avoid a scope, but it seems like an illuminated 1-4 or 2-7 would be an easy choice.
What about some of the mid-range illuminated prism optics(primary arms, vortex, etc)?  
I'm inclined to go with the 357 for the higher muzzle velocity (and thus less concern about accurate range/elevation).

Which path do I take?
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 7:04:38 PM EDT
[#1]
This is the hardest question to answer. I prefer a LVP 1-4 or 1-6 range optic vs a red dot. I like the cross hair for picking a point. But for snap shooting it's hard to beat the red dot sights. What optic do you feel like you shoot the best is the question you need to ask yourself. I think if I was to hunt with the .357 I would keep it open sights just so I would limit my range. The .44 mag I could see myself using a red dot on it also just to limit my range. The .444 Marlin or the .45/70 I would have a LPV optic. I like My leupold pigplex scopes for my .45/70 and My .356 win. I may have confused you more than helping you.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 7:09:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I know this has been discussed a million times, but a local military base is allowing some straightwall chamberings for deer hunting this winter(previously bow/shotgun only). The rule isn't finalized, but they expect either some common straightwall cartridges to be explicitly allowed "like 357 or 44mag" or "any straightwall cartridge".  Will find out the details in a week or two.

I have a few rifles I want to use (357/44/45colt) - what is a good hunting optic?  Short range (probably from a tree stand) and low light capability is the need.  

I thought about a red dot but have never used one on a lever action and never for hunting animals.
I'd like to avoid a scope, but it seems like an illuminated 1-4 or 2-7 would be an easy choice.
What about some of the mid-range illuminated prism optics(primary arms, vortex, etc)?  
I'm inclined to go with the 357 for the higher muzzle velocity (and thus less concern about accurate range/elevation).

Which path do I take?
View Quote

Any of the calibers will work fine out to 100 yards if you learn the drop the other two will work further than the 357.  
I have a red dot on my marlin 1894 and it's ok.  I do think for shots in the 50 to 100 range, especially those in thicker cover it would help to have a little magnification.  1x4x20 mounted as low as possible would probably be the best for hunting
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 10:14:22 PM EDT
[#3]
.45-70 is a straight wall cartridge.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 12:27:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any of the calibers will work fine out to 100 yards if you learn the drop the other two will work further than the 357.  
I have a red dot on my marlin 1894 and it's ok.  I do think for shots in the 50 to 100 range, especially those in thicker cover it would help to have a little magnification.  1x4x20 mounted as low as possible would probably be the best for hunting
View Quote

I'd be all over This thing on an old 45colt cowboy I have, but im worried about no illumination.  Leupold has those scopes and rings in stock on their mil discount program and the price is right...

Also thinking about sucking it up and just going with the 357 dark as-is since it has the xs sights.  I can keep it in a 2 foot circle at 100yds with mixed ammo while standing up, so I think it'd be no problem within 100yds from a stand.  

I sold my 45-70 because all my lever actions are threaded, it was the loudest, and I don't need the power.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 12:41:50 AM EDT
[#5]
My deer gun is a 1972 Marlin 444S. It came from the factory with a fixed 4x Marlin branded scope(likely made by Tasco). 2 years ago, I removed and stored the Marlin scope and replaced it with a Leupold VX-Freedom 1.5-4.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 2:22:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
.45-70 is a straight wall cartridge.
View Quote

This is what I was thinking....

I too have lever guns in .357mag, 44mag, and 45LC. If I were going to hunt deer with either one of those I'd probably choose the .357. I know, I went from large to small there :) it's just the one I would choose for me..

Good luck to you. I hope your able to get a deer
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 2:31:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a 444 Marlin with a Leupold VX2 2x7. Pretty optimal setup for shots out to 250 yards, thats the farthest I've taken anything with that rifle. I would imaging a 45-70, a 44 mag, or a 357 Mag would do alright with that same scope or something similar. Another scope I do want to try is a fixed 4 power. Leupold made them in the past as a shotgun scope with a thick duplex reticle. If I could find one I'd put it on my 44 Marlin and see how it handled.
The 450 Bushmaster is a fun cartridge to shoot, I have 2 AR's I built and a Ruger American. It is a shame that round hasn't been made into a lever action rifle, I think it would sell pretty good and would be a good brush gun with either peep sights or one of the LPO's mentioned above.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 10:35:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I am always amazed at the silly titles folks give things. "Straight wall Case" (for hunting) as well as "pistol calibers" and even "silencers" and "clips and "magazines".

A straight wall Case does not differentiate a rifle cartridge from a handgun cartridge, nor does the caliber.

Good luck with the scope choice, there are some really good ones out there.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I have quite a few setups but the following three are what I use the most.
My 18in 45-70 has a 2-7x leupold on a standard mount

I have a 336 30-30 Spikehorn with the 16in barrel. It's the youth model but is so light and compact its great. I have a 2.5 fixed power leupold mounted on a XS setup. It's a long eye relief but not full blown scout scope. the eyepiece is flush at the receiver.  Not having the scope interfere  with the hammer is great and aesthetically pleasing.  

The last one I like to take out is a 1894 Winchester .44 Trapper that I have with open sights.  It is my walking around rifle( I hunt at home)  I'll grab it when I may only have a hour or so before dark and can walk down a particular trail I have.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#10]
1-4 seems about perfect to me, in any of those 3 calibers.
In the 2-7 range would be fine too but maybe a little overkill.
I've currently got a 3-9 on a .44 carbine that lives on 3X 90% of the time. That IS overkill but I'm enjoying it and had the scope just sitting around. I have cranked it up to get a better look at a coyote that's out there a ways.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 9:21:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a 1894 in .357.I have a Leupold VX-3i 1.5-5X20 mounted on it. Burris Signature rings. I like this scope a lot. Took a doe at about 60 yrds using Hornady Leverevolution ammo.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 11:05:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought my dad a .45-70 henry for fathers day. He's wanted one for a while, I didn't think much of it. But after shooting it, man I love that cartridge. That particular rifle was is accurate, and the knockdown power was unreal. My steel targets have a solid base, and it would knock them down effortlessly. I need one.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 9:04:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I bought my dad a .45-70 henry for fathers day. He's wanted one for a while, I didn't think much of it. But after shooting it, man I love that cartridge. That particular rifle was is accurate, and the knockdown power was unreal. My steel targets have a solid base, and it would knock them down effortlessly. I need one.
View Quote

Wait till you shoot a Sharp’s replica.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 10:29:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I broke down and put a reflex sight on my ‘92 in .44 mag. Eyes ain’t what they used to be. I haven’t shot it yet, taking it out tomorrow or Sunday.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 12:48:15 AM EDT
[#15]
.45-70 is available in several different power loadings.  SAAMI pressure is commercial ammo.  Think classic 405 grain flat nose soft points at 1300 fps.  Safe in old trap door Springfields.  But, many modern rifles, including Marlin .45-70 Guide Guns can handle the intermediate and maybe the .45-70 "Magnum" loads intended for strong single shit rifles like Ruger #1 or my H&R 1871 Buffalo Classic.  Buffalo Bore 405 grain ammo leaves that long barrel at 2100 fps.  That is 4,000 ft. lbs of energy.  That is elephant gun range.  I use this for deer hunting during our "primate weapons" season which limits rifles to old straight wall case cartridges, including .45-70, in exposed hammer single shots. I don't need the extra energy for deer, but the higher velocity means a flatter trajectory and just about doubles the effective point blank zero range.

The rifle wears a Burris 2-7x35 illuminated reticle heavy duplex, center red dot scope, kept down at 2x 90+% of the time.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 8:44:39 AM EDT
[#16]
45/70 with hand rolled black powder cartridges and iron sights . Also needs no be an 1886 Winchester or nothing, if not it’s your funeral. Have you ever tried hunting deer that were trained on a military base ? They will sneak up on your deer stand and slit your throat in night , I’ve seen it before it’s some pretty nasty stuff
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 1:06:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am always amazed at the silly titles folks give things. "Straight wall Case" (for hunting) as well as "pistol calibers" and even "silencers" and "clips and "magazines".

A straight wall Case does not differentiate a rifle cartridge from a handgun cartridge, nor does the caliber.
View Quote

For example, .25 ACP & .470 Nitro Express are both straight wall cartridges, while .30 Mauser, .32-20 & .44-40 are bottleneck cartridges.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 7:25:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Rules came out - 44mag, 45colt, 444, and 45-70 are the only allowed rifles. Seems arbitrarily limited, but what do I know!

I have a Rossi92 in 44mag and an old marlin cowboy in 45colt.  
A red dot could go on either.  I won't buy a scout scope so a scope would be for the cowboy.  

I'm leaning heavily towards the Ashley performance mount for the 2.5x Leupold fx2.  My only reservation is low light capability - any input on that?
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 7:31:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I have the Hi-Lux TB-ML39x40 ono my Marlin 1894CB. I have the over-under mount but I had to remove the rear sight.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 11:54:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Another option i would think about is a peep sight..

https://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman-66-receiver-peep-sights

I have a one a win 94 (Williams) and i can pick up the sights very fast in heavy wooded area..

also since its a peep I'm use to using it due to the m16/M14 peep sight..

yes I'm showing my age.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 12:56:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have the Hi-Lux TB-ML39x40 ono my Marlin 1894CB. I have the over-under mount but I had to remove the rear sight.
View Quote

How do you even use that with the scope so far aft?
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 10:22:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am blind!
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 2:10:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I placed an RMR on top of my Marlin 336Y.  The RMR does not negatively (I think) impact the lines of the gun and it is effective.  I shot a doe with that combo last year here in KS.  I plan on carrying my Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag during gun season this year.  It has a cheap Bushnell red dot on top.  Best of luck in your hunting!
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Ohio is a straight wall state, I have an AR in 350 Legend with an YHM R9.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 7:24:23 PM EDT
[#25]
I’m a .357 fan with a 16” barrel for hunting.

While I enjoy irons, This is my favorite lever gun optic https://www.leupold.com/fx-ii-ultralight-25x20-wide-duplex-riflescope
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 1:26:00 AM EDT
[#26]
I searched online until I was able to find a Leupold VXR 1.5 scout and put it on an XS rail on my guide gun. Have only used it at the range so far but hope to try it this deer season. It’s a pity Leupold discontinued that model right before lever guns blew up in popularity.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 8:25:37 AM EDT
[#27]
As is .38-55 and it’s later cousin .375 winchester.

.38-55 is the straight wall parent cartridge that the .30-30 was developed off of.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 8:28:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Good luck with the scope choice, there are some really good ones out there.
View Quote

It crops up because some states have been regulating rifles used in hunting via that term.  They are attempting to shorten range of the projectile.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 8:38:40 AM EDT
[#29]
I'd also suggest a 444.  Use QD rings and ghost ring peeps for crap weather.
I do not have experience shooting deer with the other levers you have, but I am sure they all work out to ~ 100 yards possibly.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 9:07:39 AM EDT
[#30]
If they allow "any straight wall" then the best are 45/70, 444 Marlin, 38-55 Winchester
These should be scoped to about 300 yard capacity so a 2-7x or 1-6x from a decent manufacture works great.  A 3x9 could be used in a push but the 3x is a little too much.

Then you get into the pistol caliber carbines - if they allow specific calibers - likely they will allow 44 magnum, 45 Colt, 480 Ruger, 450 S&W, 500 S&W, 454 C.  They may NOT allow 38 Special or 357 Magnum as they may argue it's too little for "clean kills".  I know that's BS but it's how these people think.  
I'd argue that 44-40 should be allowed personally and that's not "straight walled".
On the pistol carbines I'd specifically scope for 50-100 yards - so even a 1-3x or a fixed 2x or 2.5x would be good.  In a push a any good quality 2-7x or 1-6x will be great - just either understand the distance and drop or stay down on the magnification.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top