Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2021 11:27:12 PM EDT
Decision time for me concerning swapping out some scopes.

I have acquired a Vortex Viper 5-25 (I think.  I'd have to look on box).  I right now have a Leupold MK 4 that's like 4-14 on my Bergara 6.5 Creedmore

Both scopes are MOA, which I prefer.  The leupold has a mildot reticle, the Vortex an MOA reticle with all the hash marks, which I prefer.  (This is important as I have started working hard to do accurate range finding using the scopes reticle.  I find Mildots much harder to use.)  The Vortex has a zero stop, the Leupold does not.

Question is, is the Leupold scope that much higher quality or tough as to keep it over swapping it out with the Vortex with more features and higher magnification?

Opinions?
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:20:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Both scopes are quality, vortex has a history with needing the warranty, leupold has practically the same warranty yet you won't likely need it.

Leupold currently has me peeved with only releasing lpvos with a low end of 1.5 and little to no other improvements outside of the binocular and basic hunting scopes.

I'll be bitting the bullet on either a 1-6 razor or Mark 6 1-6 sometime this spring

only benefit I give to the Leopold is weight, maybe better q/c

I like milling reticles but no the mil dot. Mil vs moa is a coin toss or whatever you are more comfortable with.

The mark 4 is an old scope so while very good in its heyday its just basic these days
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:57:28 AM EDT
[#2]
It might be time to step up to a Tier 1 optic   :  Tangent Theta,  US Optics, Nightforce,  

All scopes have some positive and some negative features.  I tend to not like the height of turrets on My Leupold Mk4.  I tend to really like the EREK turret on a B17  US Optics   I just cant handle the cost of a Tangent Theta. Nightforce ATACR  Scope   is also a solid choice. While the Vortex has an awesome warranty it is also built in China where Leupold is built here.  German glass like Heinsoldt the military version of ZEISS  and  other German glass  is also Tier 1 Schmidt Bender  LINK to  4-16    You can trade into one here.

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:32:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It might be time to step up to a Tier 1 optic   :  Tangent Theta,  US Optics, Nightforce,  

All scopes have some positive and some negative features.  I tend to not like the height of turrets on My Leupold Mk4.  I tend to really like the EREK turret on a B17  US Optics   I just cant handle the cost of a Tangent Theta. Nightforce ATACR  Scope   is also a solid choice. While the Vortex has an awesome warranty it is also built in China where Leupold is built here.  German glass like Heinsoldt the military version of ZEISS  and  other German glass  is also Tier 1 Schmidt Bender  LINK to  4-16    You can trade into one here.

View Quote

I really want a S&B PM II.  I just feel that for my level and skill for shooting a less expensive optic works for me.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:35:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Both scopes are quality, vortex has a history with needing the warranty, leupold has practically the same warranty yet you won't likely need it.

Leupold currently has me peeved with only releasing lpvos with a low end of 1.5 and little to no other improvements outside of the binocular and basic hunting scopes.

I'll be bitting the bullet on either a 1-6 razor or Mark 6 1-6 sometime this spring

only benefit I give to the Leopold is weight, maybe better q/c

I like milling reticles but no the mil dot. Mil vs moa is a coin toss or whatever you are more comfortable with.

The mark 4 is an old scope so while very good in its heyday its just basic these days
View Quote

Thank you for the reply.  I will likely throw the vortex on a less used rifle and find a Leupold, Trijicon, or some other better brand with the features I want and replace it for the Leupold I'm currently running.  

I prefer reliability to performance any day of the week.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 2:48:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Slight correction, but the Viper PST series is not manufactured in China.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:31:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nor the Razor nor the AMG line. Really hate people buying a $100 vortex optic and thinking the $2K vortex is somehow the same.

Also, USO is no longer the USO of yesterday. Their QC has taken a real dump.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:26:40 PM EDT
[#7]
If you have a scope with a mil-dot reticle and MOA clicks you're really kicking yourself in the dick for no good reason.

Mil/mil is the best way to go.

For a shooter with TMB issues, you can think of 1/10 mil clicks as 1/3 MOA if you want to.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:33:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I have both MOA/MOA and MIL/MIL scopes.  Its actually easy to transition between them.  Most ballistic apps today will let you print out dope cards with the mil and moa drops and holdoffs on the same card.  You get used to it fast.

Get the scope with the highest quality glass you can afford, the best tracking, the best reticle design for you, and worry less about mil vs moa, as long as turrets and reticle are in the same system.  The mismatch is a thing of the past, as far as I can tell.

I have current generation Leupold and Vortex scopes and like them.  I also have many older ones from quite a few different manufacturers.

If you can look through a Kahles in the same power range and features it will spoil you from even the best of either Leupold or Vortex.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:09:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Last weekend I compared a Zeiss V6, Vortex PST Genii and a Leupold vx6hd.  All were compared at the same power levels.  The Zeiss was the best followed by the Leupold and the Vortex last.  The image quality of the Vortex was poor compared to the others.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Any of the Leupold HD or MK series glass is going to outclass the PST Gen2.  PST is more on par Leupolds non-HD glass.  

The downside is unless the one or two decent reticles Leupold has is absolutely what you want... vortex’s reticles are plentiful and modern.

Leupold’s marketing is an enigma.  Honestly, I think the best mid-High end values that float around are the LOW Bushnell tactical elite scopes.  Great reticles, great HD glass, and they go on mega sale like Twice a year.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 11:47:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the input.  I have some secondary rifles I needed to get scopes on.  I bought a Viper Vortex and a Mk 4 both off the EE.

One of these days I will get me a S&B PM II !!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 10:37:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Aren’t a good number of the leupold scopes still made in the US?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:45:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I've never talked to a Vortex scope owner who was "really" using their rifles with Vortex that didn't have to send them back for repair/replacement.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've never talked to a Vortex scope owner who was "really" using their rifles with Vortex that didn't have to send them back for repair/replacement.
View Quote

I find that ironic, I own several of both..I have had to send one vortex rifle scope back, the windage stack cam apart internally... all 3 Leupold V3's I have have gone back at least twice each, and the one, a very nice 4.5-14-50 V3 has gone back at least a dozen times, mostly for the illumination system screwing up but also for both the windage and elevation knobs breaking and the parallax coming undone..They all still get used, but you won't hear me making claims that my Leupold stuff is better than my vortex stuff...
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:45:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't know if my level of use satisfies your criteria, but I have four Razor HD LH scopes, use them all, and I've never sent one in for service.

Bought I think one new and three used.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Aren’t a good number of the leupold scopes still made in the US?
View Quote

They all are "designed, machined, and assembled" in theUSA.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Having owned both I really prefer the Leupold.  Better glass and image quality imo
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:56:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Decision time for me concerning swapping out some scopes.

I have acquired a Vortex Viper 5-25 (I think.  I'd have to look on box).  I right now have a Leupold MK 4 that's like 4-14 on my Bergara 6.5 Creedmore

Both scopes are MOA, which I prefer.  The leupold has a mildot reticle, the Vortex an MOA reticle with all the hash marks, which I prefer.  (This is important as I have started working hard to do accurate range finding using the scopes reticle.  I find Mildots much harder to use.)  The Vortex has a zero stop, the Leupold does not.

Question is, is the Leupold scope that much higher quality or tough as to keep it over swapping it out with the Vortex with more features and higher magnification?

Opinions?
View Quote

I have some of each and they are both kind of equal in my eyes. if You could come up with a little more money You could do better than both. I would buy NF SHV or the better SWFA scopes if I had the money.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:23:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have some of each and they are both kind of equal in my eyes. if You could come up with a little more money You could do better than both. I would buy NF SHV or the better SWFA scopes if I had the money.
View Quote

I can never accumulate enough extra cash for a NF
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top