Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2018 9:09:27 AM EDT
I have a Leupy Spotter 12-40 and at least one extra PVS-14.

I know of several ways to align the two.

Would this be better or worse as compared to something like the old simrad mounted in front of the spotter, if I could figure out how to do it?

I know that with the '14 I will need illumination.

Would I need illumination with the  simrad?
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 9:17:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Put it behind with a Badger Ordinance SNAP. Never used SIMRAD.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 9:52:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Illumination for sure helps.  A lot.  My friend and I played with his Mark 4 spotter setup using a GP PVS-14, WP PVS-14, and a PVS-30 and the PVS-30 was hands down the best performer.

Link Posted: 8/24/2018 10:11:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Illumination for sure helps.  A lot.  My friend and I played with his Mark 4 spotter setup using a GP PVS-14, WP PVS-14, and a PVS-30 and the PVS-30 was hands down the best performer.

https://i.imgur.com/deyzjbsm.jpg
View Quote
was the PVS-30 WITHOUT illumination better, worse, or about the same as a pvs-14 WITH illumination?
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 5:16:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I like mine with my slick mount and pvs22. Have to keep it at 12x and its a bit grainy but i can still spot targets well
It is tits with my buddies pvs30.

All depends on how good the tube is in the simrad or pvs14

Both will prob need a good amount of illum.

If you dont want a clip on

http://www.badgerordnance.com/observation-accessories/scope-nightvision-adapter-pocket-snap-pvs-14-to-m151-spotting-scope.html

https://www.visionproshop.com/category-s/1886.htm
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 8:55:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/deyzjbsm.jpg
View Quote
@Black-X  paging Black-X
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 1:53:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Was out all night shooting.

I would say that the 14 with a good adapter and good illumination would be better than a 30 without any illumination but that’s my subjective opinion based off of my memory from before.  I’ll try to play with my spotter setup tonight with my 14 and 30.  I do recall my WP 14 working quite a bit better behind the spotter over the green phosphor pvs14.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Was out all night shooting.

I would say that the 14 with a good adapter and good illumination would be better than a 30 without any illumination but that’s my subjective opinion based off of my memory from before.  I’ll try to play with my spotter setup tonight with my 14 and 30.  I do recall my WP 14 working quite a bit better behind the spotter over the green phosphor pvs14.
View Quote
Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 4:34:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Black-X and I shoot together and that's my spotter in the above picture.

With either a PVS14 mounted behind or a PVS30 mounted in front, illumination makes a huge amount of difference.  I'll say that the PVS14 with illumination will perform better than the PVS30 without.  Without illumination, its hard to see much beyond 200-300 yards unless the targets are really contrasted with the environment.  Of course the best setup is the PVS30 and illumination.  We were shooting steel plates to 1000 yards last night with the setup.

I used the Badger SNAP for the PVS14 and the SLICK for the 30 and they both work great although there would be times with the SNAP would seem a little wobbly.  The SLICK mount is bullet proof.

All the above is my opinion as it applies to target shooting.  I don't hunt, so I can't tell you what you might need for that.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I like mine with my slick mount and pvs22. Have to keep it at 12x and its a bit grainy but i can still spot targets well
It is tits with my buddies pvs30.

All depends on how good the tube is in the simrad or pvs14

Both will prob need a good amount of illum.

If you dont want a clip on

http://www.badgerordnance.com/observation-accessories/scope-nightvision-adapter-pocket-snap-pvs-14-to-m151-spotting-scope.html

https://www.visionproshop.com/category-s/1886.htm
View Quote
Honestly you need a custom mount with a simrad. Performance wise people who have both compare it to the pvs30. It does get a bit grainy above about 8x IMO but usable at 10x. Havent tried holding in front of my spotter, but given how the beam splitter setup works i doubt i could center the FOV.

I use a 14 behind my spotter and a strong illuminator. Works fine.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 11:03:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you all
For the info
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:28:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
With either a PVS14 mounted behind or a PVS30 mounted in front, illumination makes a huge amount of difference.  I'll say that the PVS14 with illumination will perform better than the PVS30 without.  Without illumination, its hard to see much beyond 200-300 yards unless the targets are really contrasted with the environment.  Of course the best setup is the PVS30 and illumination.  We were shooting steel plates to 1000 yards last night with the setup.
View Quote
Pretty much agree with all of this however after playing around with my WP PVS-14 behind my Vortex 20-60x Razor spotting scope tonight, I think the image quality is better with my PVS-14 over the PVS-30 (at least without illumination)..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top