Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2018 12:31:59 AM EDT
I'm looking to get one of these for a pistol. I have an astigmatism, so dots look more like a starburst to me. Anyone try the triangle reticle to see if this will help with that? That's the main reason I'm looking at it. Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 7:44:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I have both the dot and the triangle. I kept the dot and hated the triangle. In all fairness the DPP with the triangle must have been defective as the triangle was off center, not homogeneous and would not hold zero.  I just didn't care for it.ymmv
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 9:34:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got a DP Pro with the green triangle on an AR15 pistol.

Without my glasses I see two green triangles.  A bright one and a dimmer one a bit left/low (but still in the shadow) of the bright one.  I just use the tip of the bright one if I'm not wearing my glasses.

Would I buy another triangle model?  Not unless it was at a really great price.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:36:07 PM EDT
[#3]
not sure how astigmatism really work (even though I was recently diagnosed with one in my right eye) but would the RMR from trijicon be different since they offer a non electrically illuminated model? the one that uses tritium and fiberoptics?

I have owned and shot a few red dot's and never cared for them. can't say I have the starburst issue most mention but I just couldn't warm up to them. (had a eotech, comp m4 and trijicon reflex (funny thing is I liked this best but with it blacked out using the polarizer during low light situations)
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 9:18:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
not sure how astigmatism really work (even though I was recently diagnosed with one in my right eye) but would the RMR from trijicon be different since they offer a non electrically illuminated model? the one that uses tritium and fiberoptics?

I have owned and shot a few red dot's and never cared for them. can't say I have the starburst issue most mention but I just couldn't warm up to them. (had a eotech, comp m4 and trijicon reflex (funny thing is I liked this best but with it blacked out using the polarizer during low light situations)
View Quote
That's a good question. It's been a few years since I've even looked through an ACOG. Can't remember what the chevron looked like. I prefer Eotechs now because of my issue. The dot in the center is still starburst, but it doesn't seem near as bad because the ring around it seems to keep my eyes busy enough to not notice it, if that makes sense. I'll see if a local shop has the fiber optic version.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 10:34:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I just looked through my dual illuminated RMR on my P07.

Took  little bit to figure out what I was actually seeing.  With my glasses its' a nice bright orange/amber dot.  Without my glasses its a big blurry dot.

After a bit of looking through it a bit I think my eyes got a better focus on the dot itself.  What I saw was an orange/amber bar that ran at an angle from upper left to lower right with a small dark bar between it and a small orange/amber patch in the upper right and lower left that made it still look like a dot, just a dot made up of three parts.

That was weird.  I'd never really "focused" on the dot without my glasses.  Just shot the pistol without my glasses to prove to myself that it was still usable if I somehow lost my glasses.  I'm pretty much lost without glasses with iron sights.  I can no longer see that front sight unless it is well lit.

I have no idea if I have any issues other than just "old" eyes.  I used to have very good vision but started noticing it was getting worse when I was in my early 40's.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 9:48:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 1:42:58 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote
Thanks for posting this! Very interesting read. By  using the theory of looking through a rear sight, I wonder if focusing on the rear sight of a pistol would work.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 8:18:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Go to the eye doc and get glasses rather then searching for a band aid. It will help all aspects of your life...not just shooting.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 9:55:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Go to the eye doc and get glasses rather then searching for a band aid. It will help all aspects of your life...not just shooting.
View Quote
I finally went last year, after years of denying that I needed them. I got contacts, and they make a world of difference. That being said, years of shooting with one eye closed,  and a few years trying to correct that, an optic is by far the best option for me. I see the sit so much better, and as a result I shoot much better as well.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 8:59:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I have both the triangle and the dot.  I have a very mild astigmatism in one eye so my dot blurryiness is not so severe.

I use the triangle on a CZ scorpion sbr  and the dot on a pistol.  For me the dot is a little bit of a starburst and the triangle kind of looks like several triangles on top of each other.  However with the triangle I feel that the original image is still better defined.  The triangle also visually appears to be a little more than twice as big as the dot, though like I said before I can still pretty clearly define the tip for any precision work.  Maybe this is all in my head because even with the starburst effect the dot is quite small.  So either one still works just decide if you want a smaller dot or a larger one.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 5:09:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks for posting this! Very interesting read. By  using the theory of looking through a rear sight, I wonder if focusing on the rear sight of a pistol would work.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It probably wouldn't make a difference.  Looking through a peep style sight limits the amount of light coming thought to your eye, so there is less chance of it hitting multiple focal points in your eye.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:48:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Finally got to look at the optic with the triangle today. At the lowest couple of settings, i could see the triangle just fine, any brighter than that, it became distorted. I also didn't like the color, more of an amber, and the triangle seemed too big for the glass in the higher settings.

They had a Trijicon there as well. Just the fiber optic version, with an Amber dot. The dot seemed too big, and again, the dot was distorted. I also didn't like the blue tint to the glass. I'm goint to get the Leupold, with a smaller dot. Thanks for the help and info guys!
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 EDT
[#14]
Just got an email from Jagerwerks. The only cut they will do is for the DPP with the Leupold rear sight, not an after market like Trijicon or Ameria Glow. Any one know if I can use a standard for this set up, or will I still need a higher suppressor height front sight?
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 8:39:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've got a DP Pro with the green triangle on an AR15 pistol.

Without my glasses I see two green triangles.  A bright one and a dimmer one a bit left/low (but still in the shadow) of the bright one.  I just use the tip of the bright one if I'm not wearing my glasses.

Would I buy another triangle model?  Not unless it was at a really great price.
View Quote
Green triangle on DPP?  When did Leupold offer that?  Never seen one in their catalog or in the field.  Both of mine are red/orange.

Can you point me to where I can get one?
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 9:52:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Green triangle on DPP?  When did Leupold offer that?  Never seen one in their catalog or in the field.  Both of mine are red/orange.

Can you point me to where I can get one?
View Quote
I vaguely remember seeing those. I'm sure It's a discontinued model now though. Their website only lists the red triangle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top