Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2018 12:58:42 PM EDT
The gear from Ukraine looks pretty good, and AK specific too (US producers make shitty AK gear, sorry but the truth is painful).  I have a lot of Russian gear and I'm looking for something different.

Anyone have a source for some?

Looks like the issued gear for line troops:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Or what looks like SOF gear:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 1:26:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Only 1 pic showing.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 1:32:50 PM EDT
[#2]
It looks like most of what they have is just MOLLE gear. If you want their AK mag pouches go for it, but I see no reason to use anything but American made plates and plate carriers.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 1:49:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It looks like most of what they have is just MOLLE gear. If you want their AK mag pouches go for it, but I see no reason to use anything but American made plates and plate carriers.
View Quote
Mostly because I have US plate carriers and I want THAT plate carrier too.  We are dealing in the realm of want, not need here.  Can I get a US plate carrier? Yes.  Is it as good or better? Probably.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 1:50:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Only 1 pic showing.
View Quote
Really? Anyone else only seeing the one?

Show 8 pics from my phone and computer both.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 1:52:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Photobucket
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:08:08 PM EDT
[#6]
This is the current gen Ukranian military vest as of 2014. It is being used in the top two posted images.

http://www.military.biz.ua/ballistic_protection/armor_vests/ukraine_army_armor_vest_korsar_m-3c.html

It looks like a pretty standard modified BALCS cut.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:30:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Only 1 pic showing.

I see two. the rest appear to photobucket censored
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:31:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I see two. the rest appear to photobucket censored
View Quote
Who should I use to host and I will fix it?
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:33:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This is the current gen Ukranian military vest as of 2014. It is being used in the top two posted images.

http://www.military.biz.ua/ballistic_protection/armor_vests/ukraine_army_armor_vest_korsar_m-3c.html

It looks like a pretty standard modified BALCS cut.
View Quote
Oh, hell yes!!!  Thanks!!!

Any issues importing ballistic vests?
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:24:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Oh, hell yes!!!  Thanks!!!

Any issues importing ballistic vests?
View Quote
Into the country soft armor isn't an issue.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#11]
One pic ( https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/234446/1457653365_1366712861-505687.JPG ) look more like Russian.The rest are "random" gear, some, eh, eastern-made.
THE _really_ Ukrainian manufacturers (battle-proven and such) are TUR and Wotan.There are more (Sputnik, Hofner, P1Getc), but these two are the best. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 5:28:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 9:52:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, you know, it's fun to get foreign kit and see what different folks are up to.

But there are some people who make good AK kit.  Check out UW Gear for good AK pouches and/or chest rigs.

So it depends on if you just want to dress up in foreign kit, which hey, is fun.

Or are you looking for an optimal load out for more serious work.

I think you can learn a lot from foreign gear, especially if you are into AK's, concerning gear placement and so forth.   But for bomb-proof kit, at the end of the day, you can get good custom US gear and configure it the same way.

That is all.  Carry out the plan of the day.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 11:23:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well, you know, it's fun to get foreign kit and see what different folks are up to.

But there are some people who make good AK kit.  Check out UW Gear for good AK pouches and/or chest rigs.

So it depends on if you just want to dress up in foreign kit, which hey, is fun.

Or are you looking for an optimal load out for more serious work.

I think you can learn a lot from foreign gear, especially if you are into AK's, concerning gear placement and so forth.   But for bomb-proof kit, at the end of the day, you can get good custom US gear and configure it the same way.

That is all.  Carry out the plan of the day.
View Quote
Some people do make good AK kit, but it normally tends to 47 mags not 74.  Foreign military grade gear, in my experience, is every bit as good as US military grade gear.  SSO, for example, makes gear easily on par with eagle.  No one in the US has the battle belt figured out like the Russian's, they reign supreme in that.  The Smersh is a superb way to carry gear without a ruck, it's my default hunting rig now.  So I think your comment about serious work is misplaced a little.

Getting a ballistic vest with basically equivalent rating to iiia for $165 appeals to me, especially when its military grade quality, But this is as much about making the rounds for collection reasons too.  I'm thinking after Ukraine I'm headed to Poland for gear too.

I'm all for buy US first, and I have plenty of US gear, but US made isn't the best at everything.  Force on force gear, team based load outs, heavy fights, yes, but sometimes foreign gear is better for for solo hikes and partisan type work.  They don't always have the same logistics as the US and their equipment reflects that more.  US gear is more about having a heavy shootout until lunch and going back to the truck.  IMHO thats where a lot of people get mixed up, they have a great fighting rig, but that's all it can do.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 5:21:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I disagree with you on several points.  First of all, check out UW Gear.  He makes both AK 47 and 74 pouches and chest rigs.  And sometimes will make custom camo patterns if you supply the material (but check with him first).  So you can't just make sweeping statements that US makers suck in this regard because it's there, if you look.  Yes the foreign gear guys have more experience with AK's and some good ideas, but some guys have also studied that and designed accordingly.

If you want to talk price point, then yeah, sometimes the foreign stuff is cheaper.  But there's usually a reason for that.  The stuff I've seen is typical com-bloc "goodinuff" quality, hardly on par with our custom guys.  So apples to apples, if you got a rig made by UW Gear, I would bet you would be impressed by the quality over the com-bloc, or former com-bloc stuff.

I totally disagree with the idea that com-bloc designs have the "belt kit" sewn up.  The Brits have always been head and shoulders over everyone (including us) in this regard.  The com-bloc stuff I've seen is like our old LBV designs, which haven't been used in years, after the new BA came out.  That's when the switch to the modern day chest rig came about.  Now that belt kit is re-emerging, with the renewed interest in dismounted patrolling for jungle and mountain areas, the Brits are now making excellent belt kits again, such as Genuine Jay Jays out of Brecon, Wales, UK.

Finally, not all guys in the US are doing square range work for half days and then grounding gear.  There is lots of serious training going on, even extended multi-day missions.  There are rucksacks, chest rigs, and belt kits, that reflect this.

You have your opinions, and I have mine.  Not trying to bust on you or change your mind.  If you want to run foreign gear, hey drive on.  It works.  If you like it, you will train more in it.  Nothing wrong with that.  But it does not compare, in my opinion, to some of the stuff we have available over here.

But not to derail your post: Ukrainian Gear.  Looks interesting.  Works for them.  Might be fun to R&D over here.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:03:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I disagree with you on several points.  First of all, check out UW Gear.  He makes both AK 47 and 74 pouches and chest rigs.  And sometimes will make custom camo patterns if you supply the material (but check with him first).  So you can't just make sweeping statements that US makers suck in this regard because it's there, if you look.  Yes the foreign gear guys have more experience with AK's and some good ideas, but some guys have also studied that and designed accordingly.

If you want to talk price point, then yeah, sometimes the foreign stuff is cheaper.  But there's usually a reason for that.  The stuff I've seen is typical com-bloc "goodinuff" quality, hardly on par with our custom guys.  So apples to apples, if you got a rig made by UW Gear, I would bet you would be impressed by the quality over the com-bloc, or former com-bloc stuff.

I totally disagree with the idea that com-bloc designs have the "belt kit" sewn up.  The Brits have always been head and shoulders over everyone (including us) in this regard.  The com-bloc stuff I've seen is like our old LBV designs, which haven't been used in years, after the new BA came out.  That's when the switch to the modern day chest rig came about.  Now that belt kit is re-emerging, with the renewed interest in dismounted patrolling for jungle and mountain areas, the Brits are now making excellent belt kits again, such as Genuine Jay Jays out of Brecon, Wales, UK.

Finally, not all guys in the US are doing square range work for half days and then grounding gear.  There is lots of serious training going on, even extended multi-day missions.  There are rucksacks, chest rigs, and belt kits, that reflect this.

You have your opinions, and I have mine.  Not trying to bust on you or change your mind.  If you want to run foreign gear, hey drive on.  It works.  If you like it, you will train more in it.  Nothing wrong with that.  But it does not compare, in my opinion, to some of the stuff we have available over here.

But not to derail your post: Ukrainian Gear.  Looks interesting.  Works for them.  Might be fun to R&D over here.
View Quote
In another forum I specifically called out UW for quality as well as one other.

On the quality issue, if you do the research there is top level quality gear made most places.  Military's still need good gear, especially SF units.  SSO is definitely on par with top end US makes.  I own a lot off SSO and beat the shit out of it.  I'd really suggest you try a Biker chest rig out. They work with AR mags also and is a great rig.

In regards to belts, the British have done well since even the 85 pattern.  In my opinion the Smersh is the best belt based system around, it's my primary hunting rig now actually.  I can scale it to weather, it's super comfortable, breathes well and has a large verity of pouches making it really versatile. The concript level belts look shitty, but but most units I've seen photos of are wearing  SSO or similar.  I am underwhelmed with the ANA items I've purchased,  they definitely are not at US mill spec, SSO is for sure.

I spent 6 years in the Marine Corps and known a little bit about military supply and training.  You don't generally see guys packing around a weeks worth of food on their person, yes it happens, but there is normally and resupply plan, 21 MRE's is a ton of bulk, not to mention weight.  I'm not saying that other military's carry that much food either.

Most civilians in the US don't generally take rucking super seriously, yes they say the do but based on how they train woth their gear you can tell a 40 pound ruck isn't actually on their mind.  My gear is all scaled with survival equipment and several days in mind.  My belts can be set up for 3 days max if I'm feeling Spartan AF (2x 12L packs with some expansion on the sides).  No US system is as comfortable with that much gear and food.

End of the day though, like posted above, I want it because I do.  I like quality gear, and other takes and other doctrine makes me evaluate my personal choices and training.  If I ever need my gear again, it's not going to be for force on force, evasions would be the goal.

I respect that your reply was well thought out and polite.  I really think you should give a Nuker or Smersh a try, maybe it would give you a different perspective on non US gear.  We do most things best, but not everything.

The Nuker is very similar to other US split front vests. It shines on its straps and ability to expand with some other SSO and US gear, I've mixed it up several ways. Its hard to see what's special about it until you hold it and wear it.
http://www.specialrussianshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=483
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 8:30:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Hey man, right on, former jarhead myself.  Black boot, cold war Marine.  Did most of my time on Oki, Korea, and the PI.  I've got no problem with what you're saying either; in fact I will check out the SSO stuff.  You can always learn new stuff and improve your kit.  My shit is so much better now than what I humped active duty- no comparison!  So yeah, it's a continuous process, thanks for the new source.

And you're right, there's really no US system, officially, that compares to some foreign kit, in regards to a complete load with ruck and belt kit.  I have found that a good "short back" ruck, (such as the Bergen, USMC FILBE, Molle 4000, or even an ALICE with DE frame) in conjunction with a good belt kit, (which provides a nice pouch shelf for the ruck to sit on), is the optimum system for dismounted patrolling.  I will occasionally throw a micro chest rig, with or without armor into the mix, but for extremely hot temps, I try to keep my chest uncovered for circulation.

I have humped the LBV style rigs (along with a fucking UDT vest, for OTB stuff), and though I like the format, it (along with BA) are just too fucking much sometimes in the US southeast.  So your mileage may vary.  For winter ops, or just cooler weather, it's still a nice format.  I always liked those two utility pouches under the mags.  Good spot for odds n ends bullshit.

On load out, yeah most folks are fuzzy on this.  Without a logistic chain, you have to think in terms of how you intend to re-supply, as necessary.  We discussed this in another thread.  You either have to pre-position in cache sites, mail re-supply boxes to yourself at PO's along the way (if that's still viable), or RV with auxiliaries who support the effort.

On pack weight, yeah a lot of bullshit out there on this as well.  I ruck about 50 lbs, all up, which is about my practical limit.  Thank God (or Chesty) I don't have to hump mortar rounds, belts, batts, n other shit.  Freeze-dried is the way to go around here, since water is plentiful.  You can pack for 3-5 days and hump that shit without too much problem.

But you know, I will take a look at some of this current AK stuff.  Good post.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 9:22:23 AM EDT
[#18]
The Nuker is my preferred if I'm going to ruck, you can add a 12L SSO pack (doubles as pack or buttpack on Smersh, order one with the Nuker, its cheap) for hunting and day out runs I like the Smersh, I have a few of them and buying components when you get one is a must.  The Smersh PKM pouches are great for a lot of things and extra 12L are good to have.  I run a Safariland holster on the belt, little tight buy workable and an HSGI Blowout.  The grenade pouches fit pistol mags.  Buy from a guy named Kosea on AK files, I trust him and he is Moscow based so prices are good, but he doesn't screw you on shipping.  I have a ton of US made gear and like to piece it in with SSO and also SSO on US made stuff, good combo's can be had.

I think a redo of the SADF M83 is in order.  That could be remade into a seriously awesome recon kit, still good kit, but add a little complicity to the back and redo the pouches on the front and you'd have a great setup.  Again, US doctrine doesn't support a market for this, but it has a place for a modern civilian.  I do a little gear making myself and I'm going to attempt to reinvent the wheel with this one sometime soon.

Back to the gear from Ukraine, I'd really love to test it out and try to tear it up.  A few that I found would be around $80 shipped so there isn't a big loss if it sucks.  The USD to UAH right now is really in our favor, so buying now is a good time.  Few years ago the conversion would make the gear more expensive that US custom gear.  This is part of why I'm looking now.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 10:49:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Good shit.  Yeah I dabble in nylon a bit myself.

Now you're talking.  SADF rig is the shit.  Even the color was ahead of it's time.  With a little updating it would be a nice rig.  Something like a yote with 3L bladder that would zip on/off the back like Crye PC's.  Custom mag and sustainment pouches to your SOP.   So yeah crossing a Nuker with a '83 pattern would be the shit.

These days I am moving away from molle and going more to custom sewn-down kit.  Saves a lot of weight.

There is a unit close by me that once the operator finalizes his load out placement, he turns it into rigger support and they completely dis-assemble it, take off all molle n shit, and direct sew everything down.  You know a good custom SA rig would be a step in that direction.  Of course they have their mission, and we have ours.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 12:01:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm planning on an M83 with a fixed back panel, 3 mags out the top and 4 sideways behind a zipper on the left, Water Bladder attached.  Then a zip off pack, sized like a bigger Eagle Mini map pack.  Cross draw pistol holster, and everything else sewn in, medical everything.  Trying to make it a balanced load and replace a ruck and 3 days pack.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Right on.  That's a very valid concept, for areas where you don't need a big bedroll or anything.  Maybe just a poncho/liner, or even a wind proof smock and trou.  I really like the Russian Gorkas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top