Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2018 11:49:01 PM EDT
I've been looking at a couple on Amazon that seem to fit what I need for a inexpensive (read cheap) alternative to the high end Air Venturi/Nardi type compressors.

Specifically the Yong Heng.

Are they any good or should I just go ahead and pre order the Air Venturi Nomad?

I hate being a beta tester for these things, but at $500 or so for the Nomad and running off of 110 or car batteries it really seems tempting.

Down side is it seems slower to fill than the Chinese compressors, which seem to have problems as in they either work well or not at all.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 1:26:53 AM EDT
[#1]
It’s the only thing keeping me away from PCP guns. I had a Marauder and a hand pump. Fuck that noise.

If the price on pumps were reasonable and had good reliability, I’d have a Daystate Huntsman inbound tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 11:02:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I only feed my High $$ PCP Breathing quality air....Purified and DRY!!
It pays to stick with Quality....
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 10:41:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had my yong heng for over a year now, I'm happy with it. Unless you're buying a dive type compressor that has filtration and drying built in, add a proper high pressure filter/dryer to the compressor cost. I wouldn't even use a nomad with the stock,crappy filter....

Head over here, lots of great info.

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?board=159.0
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 2:39:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies guys, and special thanks to you Shultz for the link.

I get my dive tanks filled for free at the local fire station, and they don't mind as I actually use them for diving, not sure they'd want to take time to fill my carbon tank for the rifles.

Think I'll go ahead and try out a Yong Heng, I get real tired of pumping up my Marauders, and have no place near by for filling my tank.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 7:34:04 PM EDT
[#5]
GS,

Be cautious when buying. Lots of folks are/were getting ripped off on Ebay and other places buying Yong Heng's. Some didn't get a compressor at all, others are getting cheaper knock offs, ( I laugh a little saying cheap knock off when it comes to chinese products)

Yong Heng makes 3 different models, You want the "hard back" version. This will include a first stage cyclone water/oil separator and a second stage water/oil separator. It also comes with a final, tampon type filter. This final filter is NOT enough to insure clean, DRY air. So, I'd also recommend buying/building a High pressure molecular sieve filter to remove ALL the moisture and other bad constituents from the air before it enters your tanks/air tubes and causes corrosion. I'd not use the recommended AW46 oil, use a good quality, synthetic oil for HPA compressors. It's EXPENSIVE, but,worth it I think in helping to avoid the compressor launching it's head.... in other words BOOM!

Good luck and do lots of reading before you fire up that new compressor, as you probably well know, HPA is nothing to mess with.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 11:12:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I really want to get into PCPs. I have my heart set on a Daystate Regal XL but I’m. Otnhand pumping and the cost of bottles and a compressor and related gear are more than the rifle and scope. A reliable and durable compressor at a sub $400 price point makes it a little more easy to swallow. But I’m still not convinced.

I had a .25 Marauder with a hand pump and that got old quick so i sold all of it. But it was accurate and it shot hard. With a bottle and/or compressor I would have been all in. I’d probably unload most of my spring guns to get the set up I want but like I said, im not convinced.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:52:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I was wondering, does using a high pressure compressor put more water into the item you're filling than a hand pump?

Not real familiar with the mechanics of it, but once the hand pump is up to pressure, wouldn't it be the same?

Also FWIW, I live in Arizona where the humidity is right around 8-10% every day, does that make a difference?
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:07:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Not if it is well designed....
My compressor use 2 water separators and molecular sieve.
This keeps the air dry.......

I will only put breathing quality compressed air into my high$$$ PCP!

Ca_Longshot
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 3:30:33 AM EDT
[#9]
My buddy just picked up a PCP and was having the same dilema. He also looked at some cheaper chinese brands but didn't want to take the gamble. He decided it was cheaper to just get a tank and have it filled vs buying his own compressor as he uses his pcp to hunt mostly and not as a backyard range toy where it would see high volume of use.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 7:13:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Does anyone have any insider info on the Nomad? I am curious if it uses steel or o-ring piston rings.

Right now I am planning on buying the  Air Venturi compressor for $1299 or splurging and getting the lower end Daystate for $1999. As of right now, the plan is to only use them to fill the gun directly. If the little Nomad is built sturdy with steel rings I might save some $$$ and give it a try.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 12:18:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My buddy just picked up a PCP and was having the same dilema. He also looked at some cheaper chinese brands but didn't want to take the gamble. He decided it was cheaper to just get a tank and have it filled vs buying his own compressor as he uses his pcp to hunt mostly and not as a backyard range toy where it would see high volume of use.
View Quote
Right, there are more than two options here. People are saying they can get a hand pump, or pay a lot of money for an air compressor and then have to upgrade it.

You don't have to compress the air yourself or have some device to compress air; that you personally own: you have someone else fill it for you. I shoot with about a dozen or more other guys at an indoor archery range (30 yard range). Every guy there has a PCP airgun and not one of us owns an air compressor or a hand pump. We have been shooting PCP guns there for several years, three days a week. And I would classify us all as high volume shooters. I was shooting probably 300 pellets a week every single week; week in and week out.

The air tank I have sometimes lasts me for two months without needing filled. I get my tank filled at my local fire station. I don't live in a big city and these guys don't have any problem at all filling my bottle. Most of the other guys have their tanks filled at a dive shop.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 11:32:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not if it is well designed....
My compressor use 2 water separators and molecular sieve.
This keeps the air dry.......

I will only put breathing quality compressed air into my high$$$ PCP!

Ca_Longshot
View Quote
I ought to save up & get one of those someday. I also ought to get my scuba tanks hydrotested, my paintball HPA tanks tested and/or replaced, and invest in a PCP rifle.

Details on your setup?
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 2:21:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I ought to save up & get one of those someday. I also ought to get my scuba tanks hydrotested, my paintball HPA tanks tested and/or replaced, and invest in a PCP rifle.

Details on your setup?
View Quote
The unit I own is an Alkin W31.
It will output 3.5 cu. ft. @4500 psi.
Manual blow-off valves on the moisture seperator and purifier.
I purchased it from Airetex in Texas., Bruce Dodson, Owner, an Avid pcp airgunner..
The new model is Airtex 45, made in USA, will output 4.0 cu. ft. @ 4500psi!

Airetex Website

Ca_Longshot
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top