Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2021 9:51:50 AM EDT
We can all agree that .06 or .07 is a reasonable overbore for rifle cans
Is there any ATF guidance on this?
Could a manufacturer mark their cans .224 and have a .375 bore for .30cal projos?
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:32:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Misread
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:16:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I do not believe there is a legal definition regarding the proportion or dimensioning of bore size to caliber marking.

I have heard on here of guys marking their cans as 22s and using considerably larger bores, because... reasons. There’s no legal requirement for your silencer to actually be effective.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Could a manufacturer mark their cans .224 and have a .375 bore for .30cal projos?
View Quote

No.

But you can have a .375 (or larger) bore to reduce back pressure or mitigate baffle/cap strike concerns.

Can't change the caliber of a silencer,  but there is no maximum bore size for a given caliber, just a minimum (nominal bullet diameter).
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:59:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Considering that there are commercial designs with tapered or variable bore, as well as front caps that when swapped reduce bore below nominal, it seems to be a non-issue.  I like shooting my Hybrid 46 on sub-calibers with less than perfect muzzle threading or non-adjustable gas semis.  Sometimes good enough is good enough.  The smaller front cap is quieter but at that point a smaller, lighter, more caliber specific can becomes more desirable.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 3:19:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Reminds me of my first wife.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:34:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Ive wondered which has more impact on sound, through bore diameter or exit aperture diameter....

I have a Rex 458 Mod X that you can change the front exit aperture on, so Ill run the .358 exit aperture on it when shooting 9mm - sounds pretty damn quiet out of my Stribog and SP5.

I suppose there is even more volume in a .45 capable  can when shooting 9mm through it, than when shooting 9mm through a can that’s rated at most for 9mm sized projectiles....

Thoughts?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top