Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2020 9:01:40 AM EDT
What do you guys like?  The MR556 comes with the HKey rail which absolutely sucks balls.  

https://hkparts.net/product/hk-416-mr556-14-modular-rail-system-mrs-black-p17342.htm

Right now I have the MI hk416 9" rail and it is much better.  However it is definitely a strange shape.   Much taller than wide.  The bottom sticks out noticeably.  

How does the G rail compare in profile?  

The RAHG?  

What do you guys like?

Pics would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 10:41:51 AM EDT
[#1]
G rail is the best rail. It's the most comfortable of all the 416 and even m4 rails.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 11:03:01 AM EDT
[#2]
G rail is good, but also heavy, on an already heavy gun.  Strike Industries made a lightweight SLICK handguard, but it’s been discontinued?
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 12:22:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had the Geissele, the RAHG, and factory rails.  All of them have some compromises, and there's no altering weight issues inherent to the 416.  It is always going to be heavy.  On my 10.4 I just switched from the Geissele to a Maxim Defense handguard, and so far I like it better. Getting as slim a profile as an AR isn't something practical for the 416 as there's only a limited amount of things you can do since the op rod takes up the space it takes.  What I like about the Maxim is that it's well made, sturdy, and they added as much length on the bottom as they could add and still allow for room for a Surefire suppressor's mounting collar (short scoop version).  For my own needs and preferences, it fits the bill.

I am 400 miles away from my own gun currently, but here's some pics that ran on Soldier Systems: Maxim HK416  and The Firearm Blog: Maxim HK416

Link Posted: 5/8/2020 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#4]
The Lancer CF rail is the best rail imo. It is the most ergonomic and lightest option I have used.

Strike and MidWest have horrible extrusion profiles where the lower 6 o clock rail is dropped down.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 1:57:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By patriot_man:
The Lancer CF rail is the best rail imo. It is the most ergonomic and lightest option I have used.

Strike and MidWest have horrible extrusion profiles where the lower 6 o clock rail is dropped down.
View Quote

What is a “horrible extrusion profile” and what is it’s effect on the rail?
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 6:10:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
G rail is the best rail. It's the most comfortable of all the 416 and even m4 rails.
View Quote
How is the cross section?  Is the G rail much taller than wide? Does the bottom rail really drop down low on it? That is my issue with teh MI rail.  Dang 6 o'clock rail sticks down too far.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 6:13:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have had the Geissele, the RAHG, and factory rails.  All of them have some compromises, and there's no altering weight issues inherent to the 416.  It is always going to be heavy.  On my 10.4 I just switched from the Geissele to a Maxim Defense handguard, and so far I like it better. Getting as slim a profile as an AR isn't something practical for the 416 as there's only a limited amount of things you can do since the op rod takes up the space it takes.  What I like about the Maxim is that it's well made, sturdy, and they added as much length on the bottom as they could add and still allow for room for a Surefire suppressor's mounting collar (short scoop version).  For my own needs and preferences, it fits the bill.

I am 400 miles away from my own gun currently, but here's some pics that ran on Soldier Systems: Maxim HK416  and The Firearm Blog: Maxim HK416

View Quote
That looks good but I have never heard of it until now.  How durable do you think it is?
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Lancer CF rail is the best rail imo. It is the most ergonomic and lightest option I have used.

Strike and MidWest have horrible extrusion profiles where the lower 6 o clock rail is dropped down.
View Quote
That is my problem with the MI rail....bottom rail sticks out like an after thought.   It creates a gap in my grip that is annoying.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 1:38:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By willi3d:

What is a “horrible extrusion profile” and what is it’s effect on the rail?
View Quote

The cross section design
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 1:39:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By firedog51d:
That is my problem with the MI rail....bottom rail sticks out like an after thought.   It creates a gap in my grip that is annoying.
View Quote

Lancer has zero drop on the bottom. Pretty much a octagon with rounded edges and a 12 o clock rail. VERY comfortable, not mention insanely light compared to the other HK416 rails
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 9:53:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I had the G rail but went back to the HK quad rail.  The G rail was nice visually, but you still had to mount Picatinny sections on it to make anything work, unless you wanted to direct mount stuff which would be a pain if you wanted to pull a light off to throw on another weapon.  

I like the quad rail...it’s iconic and no heavier than the G rail I learned.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:19:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm a fan of the quad rail... just looks and feels right on a 416. I use ladder rail covers on mine so the feel isn't so cheese grater-ish though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top