Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 9/12/2019 5:09:34 PM EDT
Cold Steel Code 4.

You're welcome.

Long(er) version:
Had the new knife itch finally come to a head on Sunday, bought a Cold Steel AD-10 after many a favorable review. Got it in hand and loved it as well. New toy syndrome quickly wore off as I realized the inner finger grip area is too short for my fingers, the bottom pinky finger choil/grip hook is sharp as well. The pocket clip is a disaster, chunky as hell so no flex and no lift at the end, you're not getting that knife in or out of anything one handed. The blade is flat ground now too, and really way taller than necessary giving the whole knife a disproportionately stumpy appearance. Returned it

Just got a Code 4. OMG. Sleeper perfection. Legit size but really damn thin and light as hell, it just disappears. Looks proportionate and doesn't scream poor taste as well. It actually looks pretty slick. No pinky finger choil/grip hook either.

Only two complaints: First, it actually is a little slick too, not just slick looking, though this might also just be exacerbated by how thin it is, as the finger choils really work beautifully. Easy to fix with grip tape if one wanted, but as an EDC, I'm more concerned about carry and accessability and it really does disappear into your pocket.
Second, I hate a gap between folded blade and frame, it just invites potential problems, but I admit that there are far worse cases than this one and it's also a personal pet peeve.

OMG teh spehling ahtrahciteez
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 6:58:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice knife.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 8:14:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Dat tanto blade

How much $?
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 9:01:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice knife.
View Quote
Agreed!

Link Posted: 9/12/2019 9:04:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Dat tanto blade

How much $?
View Quote
That's the one I got, I actually like their tanto. The best part is, the wife hates it, so it'll actually stay mine! (Got her a Buck Spitfire 722 in Green to make up for it). Though that spear point's no slouch.

It was ~$72 for mine before tax.

Link Posted: 9/12/2019 9:09:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I liked Tanto profiles until I had to sharpen them.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 9:13:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Liner lock is a non-starter for me.

ETA As a southpaw, it's just too easy to get accidentally cut.

As an axis lock or similar, I'd be all over it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 9:23:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Liner lock is a non-starter for me.

ETA As a southpaw, it's just too easy to get accidentally cut.

As an axis lock or similar, I'd be all over it.
View Quote
It's a lockback. I only do lockback. And Cold Steel's (Andrew Demko's) Tri-Ad lock is the best/strongest in there is.

https://www.coldsteel.com/tri_ad_lock

Link Posted: 9/12/2019 9:25:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Curves make me create unnatural curves and bizarre angles.

Oddly, I can do straight.

Link Posted: 9/12/2019 9:28:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Cold Steel=Dochery
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 9:36:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Cold Steel=Dochery
View Quote
K.

Some of their stuff is not to my taste, I agree, but there's a lot of good stuff in their offerings as well. Take a look for yourself.

I'm not going to lie and praise the 80's mall ninja stuff, but I'm also not going to lie and say they don't actually make legit stuff, some of it even legit versions of the stuff you and I used to drool over back in the 80's.

Lynn's also not donating to the Democratic Party and actively advocating/lobbying against the 2nd amendment or anything else in the Constitution. As a matter of fact, he carries.

Have you bought a Benchmade or Leatherman recently, for example?
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 10:41:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd give a lockback a try, its been since the 80s that I carried one.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 11:01:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 7:21:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Like or hate Cold Steel, they do get some things right.  Their collaboration with Andrew Demko on the Triad-Lock is one of them; they have created one of the strongest folding locks on the market with this upgraded version of the traditional lock-back.

While I have my share of high end knives, Cold Steel always gets my respect as a hard-use tool with pretty good QA/QC and decent materials.  Aside from some of marketing hype and advertisements, the majority of their products are solid.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 8:00:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
K.

Some of their stuff is not to my taste, I agree, but there's a lot of good stuff in their offerings as well. Take a look for yourself.

I'm not going to lie and praise the 80's mall ninja stuff, but I'm also not going to lie and say they don't actually make legit stuff, some of it even legit versions of the stuff you and I used to drool over back in the 80's.

Lynn's also not donating to the Democratic Party and actively advocating/lobbying against the 2nd amendment or anything else in the Constitution. As a matter of fact, he carries.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cold Steel=Dochery
K.

Only Spyderco for me.  It's the videos that still surface of a chubby guy playing with a sword.  
That's exactly the image we don't want.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 10:25:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Only Spyderco for me.  It's the videos that still surface of a chubby guy playing with a sword.  
View Quote
Spydercos don't really do anything for me, but I have no issue with them either. I think some of the videos are hilarious and all are entertaining, but respect the fact that the CEO's got the intestinal fortitude to use and purposely abuse his own product both on camera and live. Completely disagree with that being an image "We" don't want, as it's simply the original sales technique.

The knife (and actual subject of this thread), is legit.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 10:34:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Like or hate Cold Steel, they do get some things right.  Their collaboration with Andrew Demko on the Triad-Lock is one of them; they have created one of the strongest folding locks on the market with this upgraded version of the traditional lock-back.

While I have my share of high end knives, Cold Steel always gets my respect as a hard-use tool with pretty good QA/QC and decent materials.  Aside from some of marketing hype and advertisements, the majority of their products are solid.

ROCK6
View Quote
I tend to agree with this.  I've avoided their products as of late but they are absolutely capable of producing a good knife.  You just have to know which ones are decent and which ones are crap since CS puts out a ton of mall-ninja stuff that deserves no respect.  People obviously buy the mall ninja stuff, but I don't have to.

This knife in spear-point would be nice though.  A lot like my favorite EDC (spyderco endura 4).
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 1:31:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Those are awesome!
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 4:53:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Spyderco ulize
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:31:19 AM EDT
[#19]
nice , congrats. the drop/spear point is on my list.

I don't really agree with the mall ninja description. ive always thought mallninja was shit like aluminum katanas and fantasy knives meant to display not use. I could be wrong tho it happen once b4.

all their shit I can think of is made to be used.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:56:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Under $25 Gerber EZ Out:

I have used these for two decades.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 4:04:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought the Recon Tanto a while back and it has pretty much stayed in my pocket since I got it, taking the place of many other “nicer” knives that I have.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 3:22:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
nice , congrats. the drop/spear point is on my list.

I don't really agree with the mall ninja description. ive always thought mallninja was shit like aluminum katanas and fantasy knives meant to display not use. I could be wrong tho it happen once b4.

all their shit I can think of is made to be used.
View Quote
80's Mall Ninja > Millennial/AR Mall ninja
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 3:24:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Under $25 Gerber EZ Out:

https://i.imgur.com/FZie1jG.jpg

I have used these for two decades.  
View Quote
Kewl, I have a dozen or so Gerber Gators floating around everywhere, love'em, but they don't do what my Code 4 does.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 5:21:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Pretty good price for a knife in S35vn...
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 6:14:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Love my code 4 tanto, just wish they made a 5” version.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 6:42:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Cold Steel=Dochery
View Quote
Cold steel doesn’t cut up guns for the cops.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 9:53:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Spyderco ulize
View Quote
I have a all stainless endura and the build quality and durability of my code 4 tanto surpasses it. The blade stock is thicker, the lock up is stronger, it weighs less, and doesent rattle. And if there is any slip, it can be taken up with just a turn of a screw.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 2:46:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you're using rods, yes. If you know how to sharpen a knife with stones, they're about as easy as you can get.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 4:02:51 AM EDT
[#29]
https://www.snaggletoothmf.com makes some cool stuff for the Code 4
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 12:25:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
https://www.snaggletoothmf.com makes some cool stuff for the Code 4
View Quote
Thank you for the heads up.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top