Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2019 1:18:09 PM EDT
I have always bought slightly upgraded lens caps for my scopes versus just using the bikini covers that come with most. Butler Creek or Vortex brand has been my go-to. I know there are more expensive options but I am curious if they are actually better or just cost more. My only real issue with what I am currently using is that it seems opening the cap usually causes the entire cover to slide partially off and it definetly isnt just a flip of the thumb to get them to open (which I guess is a good thing that they stay closed). I was looking at the Aadland caps but for $100 per set, I am hesitant if they actually perform better or woulf I have the same issues as the less expensive options?

UPDATE 1: I decided to go ahead and order the Aadland Manufacturing caps for $99 per set for my Gen 2 PST 5-25x scope. I was ordering a Aadland throw lever which I have used before and liked so it just added the caps to the same order. The Vortex caps would have cost me about $40 so these were over double but if they stay in place when opening the cap itll be worth it. I'll update this thread once they arrive (~2 weeks) and I get them installed. Thank you to all for the input.

UPDATE 2: The Aadland caps arrived much sooner than anticipated which was a nice surprise considering how many vendors struggle with even on time delivery. Aadland obviously tries to underpromise and overdeliver. Smart.
I wasnt exactly sure what the caps would look like since their website is lacking in decent photos and the description was a bit unclear as to the inclusion or not of the small clamp on the caps that insure they stay put. Some photos show it, others dont. Mine both have the molded in clamp. I dont know how necessary they considering how snug the caps fit the scope housing but its nice to have. The caps fit my Vortex Viper Gen 2 PST 5-25 like a glove. They pop open 270 degrees with authority and snap shut very tight. The ocular lens cap has a push button to open it. I also ordered the Aadland Throw Lever at the same time and installed it. I have one of their levers on a different scope and knew it was a great piece. The caps and lever both come with instructions and an allen wrench for the clamp. Also worth noting that Aadland guarantees their caps and levers for the life of the product no questions asked (no receipts needed, dont have to be original owner, etc). So to wrap up, yes the caps are pricey, $99, but good optics are worth protecting. These seem more than up to the task and will stay put. The guarantee means I wont ever worry about breaking them and if I ever sell the optic, these do add some value to a buyer. I am very satisfied with my purchase. Also nice that they are made in the USA.

Link Posted: 1/7/2019 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#1]
The Butler Creek, Weaver (discontinued), and Vortex caps I've used have never slid off easily.

A layer or two of electrical tape on the scope should help provide a little more friction by increasing the OD slightly.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 3:02:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I've always had good luck with Butler Creek.

I've broken Vortex and Nikon covers.

I've looked at the Leupold Alumina caps and others and just didn't see the value.  YMMV
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 3:46:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I looked at the Aadland caps and, while nice, didn't seem to be worth the price tag. I went with Vortex Defenders and couldn't be happier. Butler Creeks have never been durable enough.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 4:01:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Vortex Defenders for cheap caps that won’t break the first time they’re bumped into something.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 5:23:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Many of my optics are Leupold, and I always buy the Leupold Alumina covers.  They are fantastic.  Fit perfect, and flip up and out of the way at ease.

My Tenebraex covers have been very durable as well.

Only set of butler creeks I've has broke after a few months.  Optics are extremely expensive, scope caps aren't an area I try and save a few bucks.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've looked at the Leupold Alumina caps and others and just didn't see the value.  YMMV
View Quote
They are expensive...and so is good glass. The Alumina caps are worth every penny. they seal up well, open very easily, and the quality is quite evident when you handle them.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 7:08:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Vortex Defenders for cheap caps that won’t break the first time they’re bumped into something.
View Quote
Love the Vortex defender caps. That's what I've put on all of my new scopes.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Any more opinion of Aadland caps? $100 per set versus $40 for Vortex. Not opposed to spending the jack if they are worth it but I have never seen a set in person.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 8:45:35 PM EDT
[#9]
@jlficken

He might have Aadland stuff.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 9:05:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
@jlficken

He might have Aadland stuff.
View Quote
I don't as even I'm too cheap to buy those

I have BC and Defender and honestly don't care for the Defenders on my Gen II Razor.  They are harder to open and tend to move around more than I'd like.  Next time I'll get Tennebrax.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 9:15:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They are expensive...and so is good glass. The Alumina caps are worth every penny. they seal up well, open very easily, and the quality is quite evident when you handle them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've handled them plenty.  They seem sturdy. I still don't see the value in a $60 scope cap.  Doesn't matter if it's on my S&B PMii or Razor.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 4:40:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I have the aadlands on my Trijicon 1-8. Well worth the cost. I have the shitty ones that came with my Leupold mk 6 3-18 on it and they don’t stay closed very well and are cheap. Aadland has a very positive open and close. And stays closed till you open it
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:45:36 AM EDT
[#13]
I've installed the Leupold Alumacaps on customers guns and they are great, pricey but great. Butler Creek are decent cheap options, not bad or great. I have Vortex Defender caps on all my scopes and they are great, seal up well and they are also covered under the lifetime warranty from Vortex too.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Any more opinion of Aadland caps? $100 per set versus $40 for Vortex. Not opposed to spending the jack if they are worth it but I have never seen a set in person.
View Quote
I considered them, but, after handling a set, I didn't see that the cost was justified. I can get two sets of Defenders for what Aadland wants.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:38:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.  I finally broke down and bought a set a few years ago.  I felt like I was breaking or losing the butler creek ones every deer season.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:57:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I’ve used butler creek caps for about 20 years and they’ve always worked pretty good.  They don’t have a high-quality feel, but they work ok for the money.

I bought a set of vortex defender caps a couple years ago, and while they feel more robust and higher quality, the eyepiece cap ALWAYS slides off halfway if I try to open it one handed.  The objective end holds much better.  If they had more sizes available, you could get a tighter fit.  My viper 6-24x50 isn’t exactly a small scope, so you’d think it would be fine.
Also, if they made a push-button release for the eyepiece caps, that would be the best option.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:43:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yes.  I finally broke down and bought a set a few years ago.  I felt like I was breaking or losing the butler creek ones every deer season.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Every time I use my Leupolds I fall in love with the alumina caps again, just a better design than the cheap plastic crap ones. I’m honestly surprised that with the price of some new optics easily getting into $2,000 and up that no companies stepped up and build better premium caps.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 4:28:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm using the Aadlands on my Razor Gen II and I love them.  One of the nice features is they lay flat and don't get in the way while trying to shoot through barricades.  They are a tight fit so I'm not worried about ever losing them.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:26:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't know, but the caps on my Hi-Lux CMR 1-8x are pretty sweet.  Spring loaded, magnetic close,hard plastic aluminum.  The best part is they're threaded to screw into the tube:

Nicest lens caps I've ever seen, and I have some pretty pricey scopes.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 12:05:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't know, but the caps on my Hi-Lux CMR 1-8x are pretty sweet.  Spring loaded, magnetic close,hard plastic aluminum.  The best part is they're threaded to screw into the tube:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1332/9563/products/CMR8_Side_2000x.jpg?v=1493910512

Nicest lens caps I've ever seen, and I have some pretty pricey scopes.
View Quote
Agree, those do look pretty sweet. Did they come with the scope or made by the same company? Are they available for other manufacturers scopes?
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 3:33:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Update in OP with install pics.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 3:46:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Agree, those do look pretty sweet. Did they come with the scope or made by the same company? Are they available for other manufacturers scopes?
View Quote
Sorry for the late reply, but they're very similar to Swarovski lens caps:

Link Posted: 1/23/2019 1:58:19 PM EDT
[#23]
That throw lever looks massive.  It is really that big in person?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top