Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2020 5:55:54 PM EDT
I may or may have not accidentally shipped a restricted item, such as a binary trigger, to someone in Florida who purchased it off of my website. The item is perfectly legal in my state.
What is the legal issues that could result from this? I know typically it is the buyers issue in most situations like this, as he is the one committing the crime purchasing a restricted item.
I ship the items via mail, so i'm sure there may be an issue there...
It gets hard trying to remember which item is restricted in each state, its getting very convoluted, very fast.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Does your site have terms & conditions which protect you? set the legal standard for making purchases from you, based in your state, etc?

If not, make those changes.

We have people in restricted states try an order all the time.. the new trick is to have packages delivered to a legal state, to a mail box store, that then forwards the mail to the restricted state of location.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 4:43:55 PM EDT
[#2]
A company I worked for had the standard disclaimer that buyer is responsible for knowing the laws in their state, it worked for us and it is a large, well known company that used to have a sponsor acct here.  Mass came after us a couple times but nothing ever came of it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 6:53:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
....What is the legal issues that could result from this?....
View Quote

Litigation that would bankrupt you for starters. The State of California threatened several retailers for shipping magazines to CA buyers in violation of CA law.
https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/05/16/5-online-gun-sellers-reach-settlement-to-stop-selling-large-capacity-magazines-in-california/
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 12:12:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Litigation that would bankrupt you for starters. The State of California threatened several retailers for shipping magazines to CA buyers in violation of CA law.
https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/05/16/5-online-gun-sellers-reach-settlement-to-stop-selling-large-capacity-magazines-in-california/
View Quote
If anyone ever does any business with California (better not to) but I do because of some friends. The requirement is you have to get a stupid clfc number from the ca doj. It’s so stupid. It’s pretty much California’s equivalent of the ffl ez check.

Just thought I’d randomly put this here idk.

And op.

If you are an ffl (remember you are dealing with feds) why would you not like do a shit ton of research and all knowledge needed to be an ffl successfully and LEGALLY ?

Renegade yelled at me when I first became an ffl few years ago and ever since then I made it a mission to stay on the up and up which affects my ffl business.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top