Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2018 1:05:20 PM EDT
I apologize if this is an FAQ, but I searched and could not find an answer to my specific question.

(Important note: assume these are brand new and neither of these two firearms ever had a shoulder stock from the factory)

My understanding is that it is legal to do the two following things:

1) Replace the pistol grip of a PGO shotgun (like a +26" OAL factory Mossberg Persuader) with a shoulder stock as long as the barrel is longer than 18", making a non-NFA shotgun

2) If you have an approved Form 1 and tax stamp to make it an SBS, you can replace the birds head grip with a shoulder stock on a +26" OAL "firearm" (like a Mossberg Shockwave or Rem Tac-14) to make an NFA shotgun.

My questions are, can you undo these?

1) After the conversion of shotgun #1, what does it become when you remove the shoulder stock and replace the OEM pistol grip?  If it's still over 26" and has a >18" barrel, but no longer designed to be fired from the shoulder, is it still shotgun or return to being "firearm"?

2) If you have the SBS tax stamp for shotgun #2, is it legal to remove the shoulder stock and replace the OEM Shockwave/ birds head grip?  What will it become if still over 26" but < 18" barrel? Is it still an NFA shotgun or return to being a non NFA "firearm"?  If it remains a shotgun, does an SBS have to retain a shoulder stock?
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 2:23:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 4:26:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.

OK #1 makes sense though ridiculous since it was fine as OEM before the stock was attached, but I get that's how the idiotic law reads.

I'm still confused about #2 though. You start with a "firearm" built on a virgin receiver. You Form 1 it and get the SBS stamp. You attach the stock. A bit later you remove the stock and put the birdshead on again. You still have a tax stamp. How is it not legal? What is it now?  How could you be charged with an illegal weapon?
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 12:09:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 2:22:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did it ever have a shoulder stock attached to it?

Once a stock is attached to a firearm, it becomes a shotgun, forever; it can't go back to firearm.
View Quote
Although it can't be a firearm again, once it's a SBS, you can pretty much do whatever with it, no?

Except cross state lines without a 5320.20.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 11:51:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

And except put a bird's head and 14" barrel on it...because it is no longer a firearm.
View Quote
Interesting. Are there any other configurations that are prohibited for a SBS?
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 7:01:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 10:06:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sure you can...and it's still an SBS instead of a firearm, since it's a "weapon made from a shotgun".

With an approved SBS F1, you can configure it however you want...even if it "looks" like an AOW or just a firearm.
View Quote
Thanks BigWaylon.

This make sense. I get that putting a stock on it or making it shorter than 26" OAL puts it in the NFA, but I couldn't see how you could run afoul after that if you had a stamp for it.

Although I realize you do have to be careful with "makes sense" and the NFA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top