Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/8/2022 2:30:52 PM EDT
HK Parts now sells left handed cocking tubes, so charging handle is on the right.  Looks like it's only been out a few months.

https://hkparts.net/product/mp5k-sp89-sp5k-cocking-tube-for-lefties-p17105.htm/

Just bought an AP5-P.  Son and I are both Lefty's. While I can adapt, it's not as easy for him as he was born without his right hand.  As a result, I try and make all my guns Ambi when possible, and Left handed if Ambi isn't feasible.

Looking to install this on my new AP5-P and was wondering how hard it is to do?  Not that familiar with the platform.

Any insight on swapping this in?  Easy or does it require a gunsmith?
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 2:43:07 PM EDT
[#1]
You chop the old one off and weld a new one in

Then you refinish

Not that big of a deal but not like changing out a rail on a AR15
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 2:53:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You chop the old one off and weld a new one in

Then you refinish

Not that big of a deal but not like changing out a rail on a AR15
View Quote

Gotcha. I'm a hobbyist welder and not a very good one. LOL!!!  I know a machinist/gunsmith who I think I can take this to for the work.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 3:02:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Gotcha. I'm a hobbyist welder and not a very good one. LOL!!!  I know a machinist/gunsmith who I think I can take this to for the work.
View Quote

You need someone who can tig weld well on sheet metal and has a intimate knowledge of HK guns

Fortunately the pistol cal stuff isnt so critical

However the rifle stuff if you dont set the gap right on the cocking tube you can have issues with cocking

I wouldnt give it to just anyone.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#4]
If he's a lefty and only has a left hand wouldn't the original position of the charging handle on the left side be easier for him to manipulate with his left hand ? Im having a hard time visualizing him using his right arm to charge the Ap5-P.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 3:46:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If he's a lefty and only has a left hand wouldn't the original position of the charging handle on the left side be easier for him to manipulate with his left hand ? Im having a hard time visualizing him using his right arm to charge the Ap5-P.
View Quote

Not at all. Hold grip of gun in left hand and work charging handle with stump on right side. Very easy. He does same with side charging AR's. We have many years of experience with this
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 5:16:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not at all. Hold grip of gun in left hand and work charging handle with stump on right side. Very easy. He does same with side charging AR's. We have many years of experience with this
View Quote

Ok i thought that technique would hurt too much but good for him. Well has he tried tilting the pistol to the side with the charging handle up and charging ?  You can also call Dakota Arms, Zenith Firearms and Parabellum Combat Systems for quotes on the change out. Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 8:41:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ok i thought that technique would hurt too much but good for him. Well has he tried tilting the pistol to the side with the charging handle up and charging ?  You can also call Dakota Arms, Zenith Firearms and Parabellum Combat Systems for quotes on the change out. Good luck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a lefty, this is what I do. Just tilt the gun.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 11:10:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I did it with a miller flux core 110v welder
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 1:45:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's also actually easier to HK slap offhand.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 2:21:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh suurrrrreee..   NOW they have them in stock...
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 12:14:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm a righty, but due to a left arm bicep tear that's never fully healed, I find that I often have to tilt and charge my K model with my right arm. My regular length MPs aren't hard for me to charge with my left arm. It bothers me that I have to switch over on the K model in terms of the difference in operation. But it is what it is and works fine for me.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 3:47:11 AM EDT
[#12]
If I was in your situation, I would not spend the money to have a clone converted. Souce an actual HK gun. Then contact RDTS, explain your situation and reasoning. End up with a gun your son can enjoy for a lifetime.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 3:09:38 PM EDT
[#13]
OP here. For now we're are going to run it as-is.  It's the AP5-P model with short barrel.  Distance to charging handle is not much of a reach and not bad ergonomically.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top