Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2018 11:11:13 PM EDT
Seriously just mix Lee Lube with some 91% Isopropyl alcohol and put in a pump spray bottle.  I mix 1:5 ratio but Lee reloading manual says you can do 1:10.

Its cheaper and less messy.  You can let it dry on the brass and it wont be a sticky gooey mess.  Wont make your case feeder gooey.

The biggest reason though is you can wet tumble it off.  I have 2 vibratory tumblers but i MUCH prefer to use my Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler.  Dry tumblers make things dusty even with the freshest media.  I like my finished product to bling like the brass was made yesterday.  That plus wet tumbling with stainless media deburrs the brass.  There is literally no reason to debur anything if yout going to tumble in stainless media after sizing and trimming.

Cheaper than Dillon lube and better in every way.  I guess the only downfall is you need to shake it up before using.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 9:14:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I use the home made version of Dillon lube (alcohol & lanolin) and have never had any issues with "sticky gooey mess" or wet tumbling it off. I've always suspected that those that do are using way too much.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 9:31:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I just use acetone to wipe off the Dillon.  I never tumbled the Lee off. I always wiped it off with a dry rag after loading through the progressive press. I think it helps to prevent a little tarnish.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 11:17:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use the home made version of Dillon lube (alcohol & lanolin) and have never had any issues with "sticky gooey mess" or wet tumbling it off. I've always suspected that those that do are using way too much.
View Quote
Lanolin is not water soluble.  I don't care how little you use it's going to tarnish brass if you try to wet tumble it off.  Maybe not as much if you use a tiny amount but it still will.  I want my fully processed brass to like it was made yesterday.

Also of course if you use alot the sticky gooey mess will be worse.  It's sticky shit no matter how much you use.  I prefer no sticky shit over a little sticky shit.

The lee is cheaper and less messy and works just as good.  I guess if you are making a home brew it may not be as cheap but it's cheap enough to not care.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 12:00:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Lanolin is not water soluble.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Lanolin is not water soluble.
I am aware, however, a bit of Dawn and Lemishine takes it right off. There is no lanolin residue on my cleaned brass or in my tumbler.

I don't care how little you use it's going to tarnish brass if you try to wet tumble it off.  Maybe not as much if you use a tiny amount but it still will.  I want my fully processed brass to like it was made yesterday.
Now lanolin tarnishes brass? That's news to me, but like I said, there's none left on my cases after tumbling so it wouldn't matter even if it did.

Anyway, not looking to get in an argument about it, just relating my experience. I've wet tumbled thousands of lanolin lubed cases and never had a single issue with it staying on the cases or in the tumbler.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 11:18:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Can't wet tumble off lanolin based lube? Utter BS!

I have done it as well many others. Hot water helps.

As for lanolin causing tarnish? Balderdash! I have cases I lubed to size and forgot then for a couple years in a hot garage in TEXAS. Not a lick of tarnish. If anything it prevented it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 11:56:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Can't wet tumble off lanolin based lube? Utter BS!

I have done it as well many others. Hot water helps.

As for lanolin causing tarnish? Balderdash! I have cases I lubed to size and forgot then for a couple years in a hot garage in TEXAS. Not a lick of tarnish. If anything it prevented it.
View Quote
My experience and countless others you can find on the net is lanolin causes tarnish when its whet tumbled.

I use dawn and lemonshine in my Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler.  My brass comes out literally 10x shinier if i have not used a lanolin based lube.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 12:54:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Literally 10x?

Maybe I'm feeling froggy, but your claims are pretty unbelievable.

I don't go for the bling factor, but I have wet tumbled many cases from dingy and dirty black cases to freshly resized new cases. They all come out roughly the same bling.

Being as this is a technical forum, I would like to see some scientific method. A test of no lube, lanolin lube, and Lee lube. Same number and brand of cases, tumbled for the same amount of time in the same temp water with the same soap, etc.

Posts like these are what causes arguments and internet rumors.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 9:35:12 AM EDT
[#8]
My experience and countless others you can find on the net is lanolin causes tarnish when its whet tumbled.
View Quote
I'd welcome any empirical data you have to support that statement. Lanolin is basically a wax and has been used as a rust/oxidation (tarnish) preventative for longer than any of us have been alive. If it was being left on the cases, it would prevent tarnish, not cause it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 4:28:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'd welcome any empirical data you have to support that statement. Lanolin is basically a wax and has been used as a rust/oxidation (tarnish) preventative for longer than any of us have been alive. If it was being left on the cases, it would prevent tarnish, not cause it.
View Quote
Regardless of whatever you may believe I started this thread to tell people Lee Lube mixed with alcohol is not only less messy, easier to clean off, but also cheaper than Dillon lube (unless you are homebrewing) when compared.  This is of course talking equal amounts of each lube sprayed on the same amount of brass and compared.

Tarnish aside it is just superior in every fathomable way.  I don't have emprical data I just have real world experience with many many bottles of both Dillon spray lube and Lee lube mixed with alcohol and used in a spray bottle.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 4:38:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Literally 10x?

Maybe I'm feeling froggy, but your claims are pretty unbelievable.

I don't go for the bling factor, but I have wet tumbled many cases from dingy and dirty black cases to freshly resized new cases. They all come out roughly the same bling.

Being as this is a technical forum, I would like to see some scientific method. A test of no lube, lanolin lube, and Lee lube. Same number and brand of cases, tumbled for the same amount of time in the same temp water with the same soap, etc.

Posts like these are what causes arguments and internet rumors.
View Quote
I will try to take a pic of some loaded .308 rounds I have that I wet tumbled the Dillon lube off.  All my current processed brass is using Lee Lube mixed with alcohol.  That may not be scientific enough but it's what I can do with my current workload.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top