Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2018 2:23:03 PM EDT
I thought I would give Lee a chance of a cheap leak free and accurate powder measurer for my SS loads.

Well it's cheap and quite accurate.

The problem child is H110/W296 leaking.

I tried tighting the drum screw untill the drum stops moving, graphite, multiple drums, dancing under a full moon and wishing upon a falling star.

No luck.

Titegroup, CFE pistol, Unique all work great and no leaks.

I belive the casting cut body is warped or just not cut deep enough.

Call to Lee was to do what I did already.

Any ideas besides an exchange?
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 5:25:26 PM EDT
[#2]
That if the reason shopped diligently and found a Redding on eBay for under $50. W296 is pretty fine.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 5:34:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.lee-loader.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=972&mobile=on

Once lapped, use Johnson paste wax on all the bearing parts, then clean off the excess wax once it dries.
The remaining layer of wax works at a very good lube, that that power will not stick to.
View Quote
Not to hijack too hard, but I have been using the Lee PPM for IMR4895. I know stick powders are tricky, but mine is really inconsistent with IMR4895. Will the directions you posted help with inconsistency or is it just for powder leakage?
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 5:48:00 PM EDT
[#4]
H110 is like sifted flour.
The LAD has a conical drum. Gravity is always working against you, weighing the powder down against the joint between drum and cylinder. As those surfaces slide some fine powder is going to work it’s way between those surfaces.

I just ordered one of these last night, but I plan on using it with extruded powders. I’m convinced each measure design works best with different powder types. The LAD seems to work best with large ball and extruded stick powders, and work less well with fine ball and flake. A cylinder drum measure will likely work better with fine ball because gravity isn’t pushing powder against the joint between drum and cylinder bore. But it will absolutely suck at metering long stick extruded. No single design is going to be great for everything.

I think detailing a new measure (degrease, deburr, de-static) is critical and am encouraged by @Dano523 on lapping. The LAD had a cast metal body and actuating gears that engage the drum, unlike the PerfectPM, so we’ll see in a few days if that’s doable, but I plan to try.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 5:48:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 5:51:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not to hijack too hard, but I have been using the Lee PPM for IMR4895. I know stick powders are tricky, but mine is really inconsistent with IMR4895. Will the directions you posted help with inconsistency or is it just for powder leakage?
View Quote
Opposite for me. Have the auto drum and incredible consistent on my turret. I hold the shell in a half second longer at the top of the stroke and have no problems.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 6:01:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not a lever type dispenser in the world that is going to give unify throws with long gran extruded powders.
Hence with such powder, you have to throw a light charge first, then trickle up to final weight isntead.
So hand tickler if you have the time, or something like the RCBS charge master that dispense and final trickle up to weight on it's own.

So, spherical powder, most dispensers can be made to throw this powder without migration problems and on the money each throw.

Flake powder and some short grain extruded, going to have a variances of around .1~2grs per throw.

Long  extruded grain powder, has seen even tweaked dispensers that have variances of over .3gr per throws; and why it has to be trickled grain by grain the final way from a short throw to bring each throw up to the unified charge weight.
View Quote
I’m hopeful. The Lee with its port design and elastomer wiper seems to handle stick better than any other measure. Guys who have done careful setup have reported +/-0.1gr with medium length stick such as R15 and Varget. And no reports of granule cutting.

If I can get that level of performance from it my needs will be met (I will still trickle my long-range loads).
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 6:01:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not a lever type dispenser in the world that is going to give unify throws with long gran extruded powders.
Hence with such powder, you have to throw a light charge first, then trickle up to final weight isntead.
So hand tickler if you have the time, or something like the RCBS charge master that dispense and final trickle up to weight on it's own.

So, spherical powder, most dispensers can be made to throw this powder without migration problems and on the money each throw.

Flake powder and some short grain extruded, going to have a variances of around .1~2grs per throw.

Long  extruded grain powder, has seen even tweaked dispensers that have variances of over .3gr per throws; and why it has to be trickled grain by grain the final way from a short throw to bring each throw up to the unified charge weight.
View Quote
Ok, that is what I figured. I have been using it exactly as you describe, toss a throw that's a little under and trickle to the desired charge.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:12:36 PM EDT
[#10]
For h110/296. Ive found the best measure I the old Lee disk style,. Iuse the drum style with 4064 and 4895 type powders then rcbs and Hornady with the wax jobs for everything else.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:28:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I’m hopeful. The Lee with its port design and elastomer wiper seems to handle stick better than any other measure. Guys who have done careful setup have reported +/-0.1gr with medium length stick such as R15 and Varget. And no reports of granule cutting.

If I can get that level of performance from it my needs will be met (I will still trickle my long-range loads).
View Quote
My results are similar to yours.  I find my two Lee Auto Drum units to give excellent measurements with stick powders...surprising, really.  I wouldn't dream of trying to run something like H110 in them.

My RCBS Uniflow is a bit disappointing with the stick powders I have tried.  However, powders like the very fine H110 do the best in my Uniflow.

So...I've just experimented and found which powders work best in which measure and go with it...with frequent checks for accuracy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top