Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2021 10:31:04 PM EDT
I'm trying to process a bunch of 5.56 brass, all have crimps.  I'm using a Dillon 550 with the decapper in slot 1 and Dillon trimmer in slot 3.  I was doing good for awhile but now I keep breaking the decapping pin.  I broke 3 last night alone with a brand new Lee die.  I have tried using the lightest tension on the tension nut that retains the decapper and go slow but no avail.  Some brass won't initially line up, but a quick spin of the brass normally fixes the issue.  If the pull of the handle seems like too much pressure, I will take the brass out of slot 1 and proceed after sizing the brass in slot 3.  I have taken apart the shell plate and cleaned it thoroughly.  I'm out of ideas other than decapping as a separate process, but that would be too time consuming.  

This seems simple enough on paper and I've never had his much trouble before, but I've also never processed this much brass at one time.  Any tips would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:36:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:57:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you do the standard mod on the end of the decapping stem?

You have to taper it, then it slides into 223 brass very easy.

If the pressure on the press handle increases, STOP.

See what's wrong. It's not going to magically fix itself with more handle pressure.

Do not power through and break a decapping pin.
View Quote

Lee Decapping Pin

I just purchased some of these.  Is the factory taper similar to what you are referring too?
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:09:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm trying to process a bunch of 5.56 brass, all have crimps.  I'm using a Dillon 550 with the decapper in slot 1 and Dillon trimmer in slot 3.  I was doing good for awhile but now I keep breaking the decapping pin.  I broke 3 last night alone with a brand new Lee die.  I have tried using the lightest tension on the tension nut that retains the decapper and go slow but no avail.  Some brass won't initially line up, but a quick spin of the brass normally fixes the issue.  If the pull of the handle seems like too much pressure, I will take the brass out of slot 1 and proceed after sizing the brass in slot 3.  I have taken apart the shell plate and cleaned it thoroughly.  I'm out of ideas other than decapping as a separate process, but that would be too time consuming.  

This seems simple enough on paper and I've never had his much trouble before, but I've also never processed this much brass at one time.  Any tips would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
View Quote

I bent pins until I bought one of these. https://www.squirreldaddy.com/Decapping-pin-s/336.htm  
Haven't had an issue since.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:15:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I bent pins until I bought one of these. https://www.squirreldaddy.com/Decapping-pin-s/336.htm  
View Quote

Yep, fast shipping and solid product.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:29:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Squirrel Daddy (a very fine company) makes tapered decapping pins for Lee dies in several configs.

This is the one for the Universal Decapping Die. If you look closely you can see it has a slight taper:

https://www.squirreldaddy.com/3-Heat-Treat-decapping-pin-upgrade-for-Lee-90783-p/sd24-112.htm

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:43:49 PM EDT
[#6]

sounds like the decapper is not going straight into the flash hole, it if misses, it's going to break.

make sure the paper clip looking thing is adjusted to keep the brass in station one lined up.

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:47:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:17:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

sounds like the decapper is not going straight into the flash hole, it if misses, it's going to break.

make sure the paper clip looking thing is adjusted to keep the brass in station one lined up.

View Quote
They've definitely been breaking but I've tried my best to keep the cases centered.  It's not the cotter pin type but I appreciate the help.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:19:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:
Squirrel Daddy (a very fine company) makes tapered decapping pins for Lee dies in several configs.

This is the one for the Universal Decapping Die. If you look closely you can see it has a slight taper:

https://www.squirreldaddy.com/3-Heat-Treat-decapping-pin-upgrade-for-Lee-90783-p/sd24-112.htm

View Quote

I will be ordering some of these.  Just what I was looking for.  Thanks for all the help!
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:23:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
I broke three Lee pins in one day.  I have not broken a single Squirrel.

You can do everything right and still find a rock.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:28:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They've definitely been breaking but I've tried my best to keep the cases centered.  It's not the cotter pin type but I appreciate the help.
View Quote

I didn't say cotter pin, I said "paper clip'', it's what holds the brass in position at station 1

here's a pic I stole from google, his finger is hding the paper clip shape...

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:54:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I didn't say cotter pin, I said "paper clip'', it's what holds the brass in position at station 1

here's a pic I stole from google, his finger is hding the paper clip shape...

https://forums.sassnet.com/uploads/monthly_2020_11/16048125773257239530214320764335.jpg.6a655bc1b77c2b06d29c094c9f46aedd.jpg
View Quote
@Derek45

My apologies, this could be the culprit all along. I bought this press used years ago and this piece is not installed. I've only loaded pistol and .300blk.  Maybe the taller case without the paperclip is causing me the trouble. I will find a replacement. I really appreciate the follow up.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:02:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
@Derek45

My apologies, this could be the culprit all along. I bought this press used years ago and this piece is not installed. I've only loaded pistol and .300blk.  Maybe the taller case without the paperclip is causing me the trouble. I will find a replacement. I really appreciate the follow up.
View Quote

@KeithStone

happy to help

13926 &  13719

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:37:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bent my Lee universal decapping pin the other day but was able to straighten it out. Was planning on ordering a couple spares so this is right on time for me.

In the link above there are 3 packs available, one has a “ball end” and is $10, the other just says “hardened steel” and is $17.  Is there a preference on which one to get?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:31:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I bent my Lee universal decapping pin the other day but was able to straighten it out. Was planning on ordering a couple spares so this is right on time for me.

In the link above there are 3 packs available, one has a “ball end” and is $10, the other just says “hardened steel” and is $17.  Is there a preference on which one to get?
View Quote
I use this one.

I use it on my XL 650 and decap all of the things with it.  Large and small, rifle and pistol, many different calibers.  I do not modify this pin, it works perfectly as is.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:35:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 6:38:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No.

You have to do this yourself.

Taper the decapping shaft that that the pin mounts in.

photobucket ate my pic of this.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Trying to figure out what you mean. Looks to me like the Squirrel Daddy pin has a tapered tip that makes it stronger.

ETA Heres the one from squirrel daddy for comparison.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:58:42 PM EDT
[#18]

I chuck mine up in a drill and knock off the 90* edge, so it goes into the little 223 mouth easier.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:37:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:39:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:12:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks, makes sense now. It looks like the Squirrel daddy one is a little more rounded off there plus has a tapered pin which should be a lot stronger. Much better design.
I added a pic of the One from SD to my post above so its easier to compare to the Lee one.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:46:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have the hardened steel version. It will punch through a primer if the primer is fused to the case.

One downside is when decapping 45ACP, I noticed the tapered pin would want to get stuck in the flash hole. I'm guessing a standard decapping pin might be the best option for 45 since the Squirrel Daddy would really stick for some reason. I suppose its because of the depth and diameter of the flash hole of that case and that the pin had to be inserted further in to decap the case. The thicker base of the tapered pin would wedge and stick. I have mostly large primer 45, but a few small primer pick ups were in the mix. Didn't seem that the large primer were less of a problem.

No issues at all with 9mm, 40SW, 556/223, 300blk, 308, 30-06. 7.62x39 and 38/357 I noticed it a little, but nowhere near as much as 45.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:23:58 AM EDT
[#23]
What are yall doing to bust pins like that with the Lee die?

Mine works fine as long as the case is actually boxer primed and doesn't have rocks or 22lr brass in it.

Doesn't work so hot on berdans .

I'm guessing that you really have case alignment issues from using a progressive (extra wiggle room?) or found the cases with horribly off center holes.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:14:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Wrong topic.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:40:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:41:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Yesterday I ordered these for my Lee .223 sizing/decapping die.  They seem to have the taper already built in.

Linky for Decapping Pins

Hope I didn't mess up not getting the squirrel daddy units.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:59:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yesterday I ordered these for my Lee .223 sizing/decapping die.  They seem to have the taper already built in.

Linky for Decapping Pins

Hope I didn't mess up not getting the squirrel daddy units.
View Quote

I ordered a generic set off ebay too and they ended up being Squirrel Daddy. Those you picked look good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top