Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Lee APP tips and tricks (Page 4 of 9)
Page / 9
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Need help.

Got the app roughly set up, and the single tube feed is good to go.
Attachment Attached File

I’m not getting how to add the universal case feeder with the 4 tubes. The instructions sound like it’s super easy, but I’m not seeing how they line up and secure this:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

...to the press. YouTube hasn’t need helpful yet either.

Can someone point me to APP for dummies instructions?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:29:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:49:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dayv27] [#4]
@dryflash3

can you take a closer picture of the front and back of this:

Attachment Attached File

That's where I'm so lost.

ETA: IT looks like that plastic spike pin needs to go away and the bolt needs to go through the space where there's no space to get the bolt, correct??
So like I'd have to unscrew the feed tube recievers to drop the bolt down.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#5]
All the ones I’m seeing online don’t have that pin. I think that’s where I’m lost.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dayv27:
All the ones I’m seeing online don’t have that pin. I think that’s where I’m lost.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/64832/67CFAED6-27C2-4E2B-89BE-7894DC076B32_jpe-1783894.JPG
View Quote

Yours is different, but you sound like you're on the right track, that pin comes out and the screw will go through there.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:11:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By dmac7979:

Yours is different, but you sound like you're on the right track, that pin comes out and the screw will go through there.
View Quote

That pin is not coming out. Will be contacting Lee.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:29:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:24:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dayv27] [#9]
Thanks for posting that.  I think the piece I have is different.  It doesn't line up with anything and that metal pin is not coming out of the base.  I'll be contacting Lee for clarification and seeing if I can get the correct piece.

ETA:  Found the problem.
I thought I ordered this: what I need.

I had ordered this: wrong thing

Will be correcting this....

Thanks for the help.  This is why I can't have nice things... I get the wrong things.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:33:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:37:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Take the center philips screw out and the pin can then be taken out. I think I had the same one. I got it to work but now I just switch the one off my ablp press back and forth.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By tommee-boy-72:
Take the center philips screw out and the pin can then be taken out. I think I had the same one. I got it to work but now I just switch the one off my ablp press back and forth.
View Quote

I tried hammer and punch, vice grips and pull...that pin wasn't coming out.  I ordered the proper one last night.  It was in stock.  Shocking for reloading supplies to be in stock, but Midsouth  Shooter's had it.

Thanks guys for all the help.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:51:51 PM EDT
[#13]
You did not hit it hard enough. Hit it from the top. Make sure the plastic is supported well and it comes out easy.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:39:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I only resized a handful on Sunday, but the new roller handle was aces. I kept my hand as near the center as possible, and everything felt fine.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:48:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TGE:
I only resized a handful on Sunday, but the new roller handle was aces. I kept my hand as near the center as possible, and everything felt fine.
View Quote

I agree with you, its $25 well spent.

You'll really appreciate it when you knock a couple thousand cases in one session. I switch hands just to give the left side some exercise too. Hand position didn't seem to be a factor sizing pistol cases. I haven't tried sizing rifle cases with it yet, but anticipate there will be a lot more force required.

I find myself standing more often than not using the APP. Makes it easy to switch hands in the middle of a batch of cases and apply more pressure when decapping hard to remove primers. My bench is higher which helps accommodate for this. Screwing the die deeper in the APP positions the handle higher at the end of the down stroke also helps me stand without bending.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:05:12 PM EDT
[#16]
There is a guy from Slovenia on eBay that sells Bullet feeders for this press. Does anyone have one of his feeders?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:52:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Look up Karl Bibbs reloading on Facebook. He sells complete kits for about 200. I ordered a actual Mr. Bulletfeeder die and had mine set up with the 4 bullet tubes before I ordered mine from him. It works but needs tweaked often as Karl got sued by Mr. Bullet Feeder people for using the ramp to flip the bullets, so he can't use that anymore. Or is not supposed to anyway. Might want to ask.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:58:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Blowout, 223 sizes well if you use the alcohol and lanolin mix for lube. I think I mixed mine 10:1 They don't size any different than the 9mm does. That lube makes all the difference in the work on how it feels.

One thing I have started to do with all case sizing, empty the bin every time I switch to the next tube. We all know how cases just randomly goes flying. Well a un swaged 9mm or 223 case is hard to tell from the others in the bin. So by emptying them like that I can keep the sorting to a minimum by limiting the numbers.

I gave up on making the gas checks for now. I am having issues with the check dies. More on that later.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:45:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
@montyw42

Please post source so we don't start rumors started by hearsay.

I have heard this before and it was never true.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By montyw42:
I heard somewhere that the government is no longer selling brass for reloading. Supposedly making bidders sign a form that all brass is to be sold for scrap and not reloading. So once fired LC brass may be a thing of the past.  

If True.
@montyw42

Please post source so we don't start rumors started by hearsay.

I have heard this before and it was never true.

Found this note today when I was checking my usual source for once fired LC brass-

https://www.kaleoarms.com/5-56-lc-brass-unprocessed-in-stock/

These guys used to be my go to for once fired LC. Have not bought any from them for a while as they have been out. Price has almost doubled since my last purchase.  

They have this note posted about military brass:

Military direct auctions have been very rare over the 18 months as the military has moved to scrapping all fired brass instead of auctions.  We price our brass based off of what we were able to get the brass at.  Unfortunately, our acquisition costs have gone up significantly because of the lack of auctions, especially for 556.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:59:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:27:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for posting that.  I think the piece I have is different.  It doesn't line up with anything and that metal pin is not coming out of the base.  I'll be contacting Lee for clarification and seeing if I can get the correct piece.

ETA:  Found the problem.
I thought I ordered this: what I need.

I had ordered this: wrong thing

Will be correcting this....

Thanks for the help.  This is why I can't have nice things... I get the wrong things.
View Quote

Once you have both type of feeders, would you mind comparing the tube diameters between the 2?

The feeder you inadvertently bought first is for bullets. Curious if the diameter is slightly smaller than the one used for cases.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:22:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Blowout:

Once you have both type of feeders, would you mind comparing the tube diameters between the 2?

The feeder you inadvertently bought first is for bullets. Curious if the diameter is slightly smaller than the one used for cases.
View Quote

Will do.  If you don't hear from me in within two weeks, please IM me and remind me.  Midsouth says they're almost a week behind in shipping, and then delivery time...

but yeah, no problem.

@Blowout
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:52:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By thenning:

Thanks!   Looks like I just need 5", so hopefully enough left over for hand clearance, it's worth a shot.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thenning:

About 6.25" from the top of the quick change bushing to the bottom of the handle. Camera angle is deceiving.
You could probably add extensions on each side to increase the height of the handle further if necessary.  

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50720916261_a5b61ee51d_z.jpg

More I use the roller handle, the more I like it.

Thanks!   Looks like I just need 5", so hopefully enough left over for hand clearance, it's worth a shot.

Update. Finally got the roller handle, and there is enough room to use the taller FW Arms die.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 1:49:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Glad it worked out for you.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:11:12 PM EDT
[#25]
OK my freinds.
I have this nifty little item sitting here and I purchased it mostly for sizing bullets.
However, I do not have the doggone bushing adapter for the sizer rings or bottle.
My thought is that I might use a oring in the included red breechlock ring, along with a chunk of cut off 7/8-14 thread, to make this work.

The oring to keep the sizer bushing from pulling out the top since I think it won't take alot to keep it there as well as center it in the red breechlock ring thing.
And of course the threaded rod in the bottom to keep it from pushing out the sizer ring when pushing a bullet threw the sizer.
The threaded rod has a big enough hole to pass a sized bullet.
{actually a portion of cut off die I think}

My thoughts are to grab a sixer, a pint of granddad, this press, the radio, bake on some more powder coat and fiddle with this press long into the evening.
Quiet peicefull relaxing.

So good plan or no?
I don't have any idea what the adapter for the sizer bushing looks like.
I am new to this press.
I don't have a .401 regular lee push threw sizer just this bushing type for this press.
Was it 500 or so other bullets and not these .40 cal bullets, I have those push threw sizers.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

@Blowout

the tubes that came with the correct case feeder: .565" (best I can get with my calipers without squeezing the tube)

The tubes that came with the wrong thing I ordered:

Again, best I could do with the calipers.

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 5:51:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By meistermash:
OK my freinds.
I have this nifty little item sitting here and I purchased it mostly for sizing bullets.
However, I do not have the doggone bushing adapter for the sizer rings or bottle.
My thought is that I might use a oring in the included red breechlock ring, along with a chunk of cut off 7/8-14 thread, to make this work.

The oring to keep the sizer bushing from pulling out the top since I think it won't take alot to keep it there as well as center it in the red breechlock ring thing.
And of course the threaded rod in the bottom to keep it from pushing out the sizer ring when pushing a bullet threw the sizer.
The threaded rod has a big enough hole to pass a sized bullet.
{actually a portion of cut off die I think}

My thoughts are to grab a sixer, a pint of granddad, this press, the radio, bake on some more powder coat and fiddle with this press long into the evening.
Quiet peicefull relaxing.

So good plan or no?
I don't have any idea what the adapter for the sizer bushing looks like.
I am new to this press.
I don't have a .401 regular lee push threw sizer just this bushing type for this press.
Was it 500 or so other bullets and not these .40 cal bullets, I have those push threw sizers.
View Quote

If it were me, I'd get the bushing kit and the sizer and punch before trying to jerry rigging it.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Check around to see if someone has them in stock. Lee is out. Midsouth usually has good prices and inventory on APP stuff.

The APP pushes the bullet down through the sizer and not up. The upper end holds the punch rod.

If you don't have a bottle, I've attached a hose to the bottom of the Lee FCD when bulge busting. That little bottle isn't big enough to hold much of anything.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#28]

If you don't have a bottle, I've attached a hose to the bottom of the Lee FCD when bulge busting. That little bottle isn't big enough to hold much of anything.
View Quote

I'm not affiliated nor have I tried either of these but there are bottle adapters on ebay.

Powder Jug Adapter

Soda Bottle Adapter
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 8:05:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dayv27] [#29]

I'm not affiliated nor have I tried either of these but there are bottle adapters on ebay.

Powder Jug Adapter

Soda Bottle Adapter
View Quote

Just bought the powder bottle adapter from him (I broke the bottle top that came with the press)  The threads on on the bottle top adapter piece don't quite mesh 100% with the threads on the base of the APP piece where it screws on, but it will tighten on there really good and I'm happy with the item and how well it stays on. Not exactly cross threaded, but not exactly screwed all the way on the threads.  I tugged on it as hard as I could without feeling like I was trying to intentionally break it, and it's on there.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 8:24:13 PM EDT
[#30]

If it were me, I'd get the bushing kit and the sizer and punch before trying to jerry rigging it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/375214/APP_bullet_sizer_bushing_JPG-1809433.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/375214/Sizer_and_punch_JPG-1809435.JPG

Check around to see if someone has them in stock. Lee is out. Midsouth usually has good prices and inventory on APP stuff.

The APP pushes the bullet down through the sizer and not up. The upper end holds the punch rod.

View Quote

I am wanting to size bullets today not next month.
My plan is indeed to attach a hose and just use the little bottle to drink beer out of.
I have the punch and bushing.

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 1:13:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Powder Jug Adapter

Soda Bottle Adapter
View Quote

Thanks for pointing those options out. Seems the threads maybe incorrect though.

I've seen SW programs available for 3D printing threaded objects, but there's a lot to getting mating threads correct. We deal with it at work all the time.

I've used a 5/8" hose intended for a garbage disposal pushed on the end of the Lee FCD when bulge busting. A slick inside lining on the hose is best so cases are less likely to stick part way through the hose. I've had them stick even with a slick hose so I elevated a container under the APP and let them drop with the bottle removed. That seemed to work the best when doing large amounts. 2200 9mm cases fit in the size containers I'm using to store brass.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 4:04:27 PM EDT
[#32]

@Blowout

the tubes that came with the correct case feeder: .565" (best I can get with my calipers without squeezing the tube)

The tubes that came with the wrong thing I ordered:

Again, best I could do with the calipers.

View Quote

@dayv27

Thanks for posting this information.

Reason I asked was to see if the smaller ID tubes could be used for cases to help keep the cases from tipping when they drop off the shuttle onto the transfer bar. 223 are the cases I find flying across the room most often.

Were you able to get the pin out of the other assembly? If it is molded in maybe just drill it out.

Would you be able to measure the ID shown below?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 3:09:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tao] [#33]
Golden shower?

Also, great success decapping x39.

I'd say 1 in 15 is upside down, but the overall increase in cases per minute is definitely worth it.

Coffee can lid insert worked great. Just make sure you cut the center hole on the small side, no wider than the holes are across, otherwise a case can lay down in there and block 2 of the holes.

But hey, the placement is still perfect.

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:29:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Are you resizing those or just decapping them.
The only thing I have used mine for so far is sizing .40 cal powder coated cast bullets.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:09:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By meistermash:
Are you resizing those or just decapping them.
The only thing I have used mine for so far is sizing .40 cal powder coated cast bullets.
View Quote

I've only sized pistol cases, but others on this thread have sized 223 on the APP. I haven't tried it yet.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:45:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for the tips and tricks posted here. Very helpful and much appreciated. Recieved the LEE APP on Friday. Using the APP happily to decap 9mm prior to wet tumble. 2k(+) pieces so far. Not perfect function, still have the occasional piece of brass go flying, but definitely a time saver. Next will be a more permanent LEE bench plate mount and finalizing Dillion case feeder to Lee APP. 556 decap and swaging when the swage kit and roller handle come back in stock. I think the APP will work well for my uses. Worth the cost to me. [/url]2021-02-21_10-31-49[/img]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:46:32 AM EDT
[#37]

I've only sized pistol cases, but others on this thread have sized 223 on the APP. I haven't tried it yet.
View Quote

Well, I did some 223 on it today.
I found things need to be well lubed.
The instructoes say those funky shell holders shouldn't be used for resizing, but it worked ok.
Definitely need that roller handle when I can get one.

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 1:34:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Saw this in another thread

Costco Fish Oil bottle fits the provided adapter.

Credit to Tao
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 6:39:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveyDug] [#39]
I haven't tried bullet sizing on this yet. It is correct to assume bullet sizing has to be done with just a single feed tube?

Is the universal case feeder unusable for that application or has someone used a smaller sleeve inside the standard tubes?
View Quote

I didn't see any responses to this inquiry. Anyone found a good solution for speeding up the bullet sizing process using the Universal Case Feeder, preferably with a collator?

The tubes that come with the Universal Case Feeder are too large to allow 9mm-ish bullets to feed smoothly. Even if they were the right diameter, you still have to feed the bullets nose down by hand into the tube.

Would love a quicker method that reliably fed bullets into the tubes nose down. Filling the single tube every 27 handle pulls is tedious.

Link Posted: 3/29/2021 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By DaveyDug:

I didn't see any responses to this inquiry. Anyone found a good solution for speeding up the bullet sizing process using the Universal Case Feeder, preferably with a collator?

The tubes that come with the Universal Case Feeder are too large to allow 9mm-ish bullets to feed smoothly. Even if they were the right diameter, you still have to feed the bullets nose down by hand into the tube.

Would love a quicker method the reliably fed bullets into the tubes nose down. Filling the single tube every 27 handle pulls is tedious.
View Quote

I haven't had a chance to try the Lee 90280 yet. It's only $20 at Midsouth. If the mounting dowel can't be pressed out, it would be easy to just drill it out and use a long bolt and nut. Would still need to hand fill the the 4 tubes nose down with 100 or so bullets.

New add-ons are coming available now. Here's a 3D printed carrier for bullets. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lee-APP-Press-9mm-Cast-Lead-Bullet-Sizing-Carrier-Pusher/333896310697?hash=item4dbdc55fa9:g:bS8AAOSwsW1fnvhV
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#41]

I haven't had a chance to try the Lee 90280 yet. It's only $20 at Midsouth. If the mounting dowel can't be pressed out, it would be easy to just drill it out and use a long bolt and nut. Would still need to hand fill the the 4 tubes nose down with 100 or so bullets.

New add-ons are coming available now. Here's a 3D printed carrier for bullets. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lee-APP-Press-9mm-Cast-Lead-Bullet-Sizing-Carrier-Pusher/333896310697?hash=item4dbdc55fa9:g:bS8AAOSwsW1fnvhV
View Quote

That is cool, I am thinking of buying the whole set, plus the 22 cal version he also sells.

As far as speeding up the sizing, I have seen modified bullet feeders available that send the bullets to your tube nose down. Seems to work well.

I have been doing it 23 or how ever many bullets fit at a time.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 10:02:43 PM EDT
[#42]
New trick. Use the large primer swage to fix lose primer holes in sp or Sr. I have a bunch of 350 Legend brass from the first round of ammo that was way flat.

Just barely kiss the primer hole with the large primer swage pin installed.  Was able to save 200 cases that had lose holes
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 5:15:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#43]
Originally Posted By boman250:

That is cool, I am thinking of buying the whole set, plus the 22 cal version he also sells.

As far as speeding up the sizing, I have seen modified bullet feeders available that send the bullets to your tube nose down. Seems to work well.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By boman250:

I've seen that for $250 on ebay.

Originally Posted By tommee-boy-72:
New trick. Use the large primer swage to fix lose primer holes in sp or Sr. I have a bunch of 350 Legend brass from the first round of ammo that was way flat.

Just barely kiss the primer hole with the large primer swage pin installed.  Was able to save 200 cases that had lose holes

This is real interesting. I've tried another method I read about to tighten the pockets, but it didn't work so great. I tossed about 20 223/556 cases recently. I hate tossing them because of the prep work that goes into them.

I might just pick one of these swage kits up to try this and just might try swaging some crimped pockets with it too.

Link Posted: 3/30/2021 5:27:16 PM EDT
[#44]
It is a trial and error method.  Each piece has to be treated different.  Partially because of the different web thickness.  I was using my rcbs hand primer to judge each piece. I used old primers to seat in the brass to get the feel on how much was done. If it wasn't enough I ran it through a decapping die and screwed the top mandrel in a little more. If i over did it then i used a vld inside chamfer tool to just barely remove the swage.

I have already shot these and are holding up.

You could do the same thing if you have the rcbs swage kit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 1:19:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 7:41:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Tried a factory crimp die on mine last night.  Sizes fine, but there's some flex putting the roll on.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:21:32 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm working through the thread now, I got my APP when it was first released but barely used it as I couldn't get it quite tweaked...got some time to get it tweaked now.

What shell holder / case slide not sure the correct terminology to use are you using for 9mm?  I think I have been using the B one which is might be why I'm having some troubles.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 1:38:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#49]
https://i.imgur.com/6fypqMgl.jpg

19 shellholder.

https://i.imgur.com/7mlKxAgl.jpg

Slide it comes with.

Set case feeder height with case with a coin on top, just like in the directions. I used a nickle.
View Quote

Thanks I'm going to try this later tonight, I had the right shell holder but I was using the "B" feeder arm thingamabob.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 9
Lee APP tips and tricks (Page 4 of 9)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top