Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2018 2:12:20 PM EDT
Gents, I have an old Mossburg 22 that was give to me a bunch of years ago, it was from the 60s and in pretty beat condition.

It was accurate as hell so I decided to restore it as best as I can. I completely refinished the stock and it looks like a million dollars. Removed the barreled action and gave it to a guy to sand blast. He already completed a portion of it and it's a matte silver color now, looks incredible with the new stock. I initially planned on blueing the rifle the way it originally was, but I think now I'd like to keep this look!

Is is possible to just leave the steel as is? or will it just rust too quickly?

Any options for protecting the steel while leaving it's current appearance?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#1]
You can keep unfinished steel coated with something to prevent rust, such as Birchwood Casey RIG, or a film of wax (as some waterfowl hunters do).

It's not common today, but older military weapons like the British "Brown Bess" and Imperial German Gewehr 98 had large areas of unfinished steel. It was a measure of a soldier's discipline that they keep their weapon maintained and rust-free.

Of course, it's easier to let a surface finish prevent most of the corrosion. That's what I prefer.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can keep unfinished steel coated with something to prevent rust, such as Birchwood Casey RIG, or a film of wax (as some waterfowl hunters do).

It's not common today, but older military weapons like the British "Brown Bess" and Imperial German Gewehr 98 had large areas of unfinished steel. It was a measure of a soldier's discipline that they keep their weapon maintained and rust-free.

Of course, it's easier to let a surface finish prevent most of the corrosion. That's what I prefer.
View Quote
Brown Bess came browned.  That was the traditional finish before blueing.  
Properly browned barrels hold oil in the browning.  It's actually a controlled rusting process.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 7:35:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Brown Bess came browned.
View Quote
I don't think they did, at least not prior to the American Revolution, but I'm certainly no musket historian.

http://www.militaryheritage.com/browning.htm
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 9:32:40 AM EDT
[#4]
You could always clear coat it and be done with it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 9:49:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't think they did, at least not prior to the American Revolution, but I'm certainly no musket historian.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Brown Bess came browned.

I thought that was patina not a deliberate browning process.  Our civil war muskets and rifles were the same, no finish.

Lots of bolt action military rifles had their bolts polished but not finished.  Ie the Swedish M96, the Swiss K31.    The advantage is I can buy an old gun with a rusty bolt and hit it with crocus cloth and keep it oiled.  In a few years there is an old dry oil patina on the bolt.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 12:30:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Gents, I have an old Mossburg 22 that was give to me a bunch of years ago, it was from the 60s and in pretty beat condition.

It was accurate as hell so I decided to restore it as best as I can. I completely refinished the stock and it looks like a million dollars. Removed the barreled action and gave it to a guy to sand blast. He already completed a portion of it and it's a matte silver color now, looks incredible with the new stock. I initially planned on blueing the rifle the way it originally was, but I think now I'd like to keep this look!

Is is possible to just leave the steel as is? or will it just rust too quickly?

Any options for protecting the steel while leaving it's current appearance?

Thanks!
View Quote
Look into clear cerakote or a zinc coating.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top