Member Login

Lazy's Steyr AUG log (Page 5 of 5)
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 12:35:23 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
Experiment - slow mo video of AUG firing sequence. AUG firing cycle
Be sure to hit the setting gear button, and run it at 0.25 speed, and at max resolution.

Observe the gas port ejection flash as well
View Quote
Is that the right video?
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 12:43:45 AM EDT
Originally Posted By mcantu:

Is that the right video?
View Quote
Yea, it's experimental. I used the "slow motion" feature on the phone, which is so-so, and then combined with slow-motion in Youtube (if one selects it), and you can watching the gun eject a round and cycle in the next. I wanted to see if the round pops up strangly (precurser to double feeds), or if it strips it from the magazine. Expectation is that it will lay flat and strip it from magazine per normal, which is exactly what it does.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 3:00:50 AM EDT
Great video since I shoot mine as opposed to watching other people shoot it. Or I'm trying to spotfor them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:00:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2018 12:02:28 AM EDT by lazyengineer]
9/9/2018 update: Fired 171 rounds. No failures of any kind.

Fired at 200 yard paper precision from the bench, and gongs from off-hand, then when to 25 yard speed drills. Gun was reliable, but accurate was not the days strongest suit. With 3 different lots of ammo, it was grouping between 2.3 and 3.6 MOA of ammo. Match quality 69 and 73 gr ammo did about the same as 55 FMJ. Tried shooting it with both hands, as well as rested in the middle, as well as resting with the weight "monopod" on the forward grip, with no real accuracy differences. Though Monopod style shooting did seem to shift POI about 2 MOA left.

So... it worked fine; but I wish it shot a little tighter today. Gun hasn't been cleaned in many hundreds of rounds, I'll go ahead and do that today.

55 FMJ (one of the better of the day)

73 gr Berger match ammo:

Total round count: 4920
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:15:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2018 12:18:02 AM EDT by mcantu]
I get great bench results by folding the grip and resting it on sandbags positioned up against the front of the trigger/hand guard

RUAG SS109/M855

MEN M193
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 1:35:50 PM EDT
Bags under the stock at trigger guard, not under the folded grip?
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 10:06:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/16/2018 10:07:00 PM EDT by lazyengineer]
9/16/2018 update: Broke 5000 rounds through the gun today. Fired 185 rounds. Mag #1 failed to close into battery on fresh load - roundjump (known problem-mag: need to just throw that mag away)

Fun day - 55 gr ammo.

Tested a "better" green laser. This is the Firefield FF25007 version - designed for AR15 and similar rifle usage, on sale at WalMart. Another strike-out with final result is I'm sending it back. It doesn't mount as close to the bore as my older little red laser, which is OK; but the entire purpose was to produce a visible green dot in bright daylight, and it pretty much failed past maybe 10 yards. So! I'm just going to put my cheap little bitty $10 red laser back on - and call that an indoor/night usage option only. I still might try to get one of those shell deflectors - which then will allow a holo-sight mounted on the side of the scope, and rifle rotation usage.

So I yanked that off and continued on with my shooting.

Accuracy was pretty Meh - typical groups at 200 yards were in the 3 MOA range:

Then just pounded rounds through it at steel and had a blast

Total round count: 5,105
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 1:28:56 AM EDT
question. Are you really shooting a 25m zeroing target at 200 yds? The aim point must be teeny tiny
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 2:50:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/17/2018 3:15:24 AM EDT by lazyengineer]
Originally Posted By mcantu:
question. Are you really shooting a 25m zeroing target at 200 yds? The aim point must be teeny tiny
View Quote

With the 3X scope, it's not so bad

Here's what the inside of an FN made chrome lined AUG BBL looks like at 5000 rounds.

End of chamber: where the brass casing would end, and the barrel-proper, starts.

Move in to the "throat" area, where the bullet jump before it hits the rifling

After a somewhat long 5.56 chamber bullet jump, the rifling starts. Shiny part is chrome, dull is bare metal where the chrome lining is worn off. You can see the lands (the part that deforms the rifling into the bullet) are by where the chrome is gone, at this point.

And progressing down the barrel for a quarter inch or so:

And eventually back to where the chrome on the lands is intact again

Here's the gasport (and looks like a hair is stuck on the lens, that's not in the barrel)

Moving past the gas port, you can see where the momentum of the gas being diverted down the hole erodes into the barrel, and ripped off some of the chrome

And we finally make it to the muzzle. Where you can see some more of the chrome (and maybe base metal, can't tell) is eroded off in the crown/muzzle area.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To rearange all those photos in sequence, if you have a really wide screen, moving down the barrel:

(internet grab photo - not mine)

5000 rounds

So! What of this is normal, and what is not? I honestly can't say; though much of it is. I know that an AUG BBL will last a great many rounds before keyholing (at least 50,000) - but when it comes to accuracy affects short of that, I don't know - hopefully others will scope their barrels and comment with their round counts. I do feel that my rifle's accuracy has fallen off a bit - but it still hits. According to the Lucky Gunner test (https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo) brass cased ammo shouldn't be causing accuracy loss after even 10,000 rounds - with an M4 (but then, their accuracy standard was 4 MOA; so we're still well under that). Of all the items of note, the crown deformations (if that's what those are) are probably the most affect, followed by a rough throat. The gas port erosion is actually pretty typical, and probably no big deal.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Lazy's Steyr AUG log (Page 5 of 5)
Top Top