Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#1]
The crooked 3x picture was mine. One of the first M1's and the reticle was not canted. My camera skills suck and that was the clearest picture of the reticle I could take. Just so happens that my camera was tilted at the time...
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:17:14 PM EDT
[#2]
03/06/2018 Update - AUG emergency deployment
You can't make this up.  [by the way, please don't text quote all of this]

So I'm driving home, and it's polling day.  There's a lot of cops around.  Nice neighborhood; such is rare.  Take care of home errands, and decide to walk up to polling place, to vote in primary.  (Feeling good, did some insider research for this primary (from the ones that aren't officially supposed to talk), and find out who's really a retard, and who's cool.)  More cops, circling helicopter.  I'm going to vote, so no CHLing.  See a bunch more cops while I'm walking, they look at me funny (lone white male - but dress shirt and dockers).  Text the neighbor-in-the-know (there's always one).  Oh yea, there's a gunman in the neighborhood , and a couple shots were fired around noon.  He's running around, and the cops are looking for him.  Oh that's F'ing great. So.. where is he headed?  Last we heard, sounded like towards the elementary school.   Sigh - as I'm walking into the elementary school.  Unarmed.  In the Republican area (the ones responsible for all of man-kinds ills).   Aaaand assigned to the voting station that's right next to the gapping open outside door (like, it's pretty much in it), through which, say, a lone gunman could come charging in.

Yea, this is going great.

I do make it back home, and then learn that lone gunman is thought to be in the alley - pretty much right behind my house, but they haven't found him yet; and it's getting dark.  Yea, so first I tuck my CHL pistol back in my pocket, and load up an AR, because that was closest.  After walking around the house a few minutes with the AR, 20 round mag (30's are overdone in AR's for domestic).  That thing is way the Hell too long to walk around the house with for more than a moment.

Wife comes home from her run from work (she runs or bikes from work; I could do worse).  She see's her "don't come home" texts finally, and looks up at me, and say's she's kinda surprised I'm not armed.  I look at her, pull out my CHL in my pocket, and point to the AR.  She laughs, thinks that's the funniest shit she's ever seen, and says "that's more like it".  I almost took her right there.  (I could do worse).

OK, so I say screw this AR, and get the AUG.  Now we're at 30 and it's not cumbersome.  Turn on the laser.  This is more like it.  Take care of various house errands.  AUG's are F'ing heavy.  So I dig out the sling.  Now we're talking, I'm good all day.  So far, the laser batteries have held up pretty good, better than I was expecting.

Items of note (And why this is relevant to my AUG Log).  
1) Even though the AR was fastest to get to, I had to pull out the lower, pull out the upper, push the pins (with force) to get them free, to insert lower.  Push pins back, insert mag, pull charging handle.  Reach up to red-dot sight, and adjust it.  To what setting? better look through it... yea, OK, it's adjusted now.  And as I go through the house, if I want to target anything, I have to raise rifle to shoulder, to see through red-dot sight, to see red dot.

2) When I deployed the AUG, it was in pieces.  Readyness involved grab barrel, twist and done - pull down handle with hand already there, insert mag, rack slide.  WAY faster to go from pieces to deployed.  Turn on red-laser, now don't need to raise gun to have aimed fire.

3) Continuing the above, and to repeat, a laser in the home is much more handy than a red-dot, as you can deploy aimed engagement, without having to raise the rifle.  And I continue to love the configuration of the cheap $10 unit, with that button right there.  It makes a difference.

4) Replacing the sling swivel pin with a QD sling swivel pin was an excellent decision.  When I decided the AUG was to heavy to practically carry around with me in the home all night, the sling was on instantly.  It's one of those complicated ass Made-For-Aug multifunction slings, that at first I hated for the first 15 mintues - way too high on me.  Once I learned how to actually loop and wear it, it's absolutely perfect for this.

5) When sling on your side, as a right handed shooter, the contact with your body naturally engages the safety, into the safe position.  I actually quite like that.

6) I really really don't want to have to deal with all the bullshit involved with using this thing tonight, and probably won't (God I hope).  But if I had to, there is damned little I would change in this gear, choice, or loadout.  Maybe pop the flashlight on one of the rails.  As much as I prefer the classic look of the original scope, I will say, that much rail-space isn't as stupid as it looks at first glance.  Right now, with it getting dark, and a dog that needs to pee in the backyard soon (that would be the yard by the alley), I can run a red laser AND a flashlight at the same time.

7) one of the things I really like about the integrated optic, is it's... integrated.  I know regular rings and mounts these days are strong and all - but you can't beat how solidly mounted the integrated optic is.  There's no worries, and far less snagging, with an integrated optic, compared to one held on by rings.  If that optic takes a whack, or a hit - I don't worry about.  Half the time, I carry the gun by it.  It's solid.  If you're walking around the house all night with one on a sling, the occasional bump isn't a worry.

Total round count: still 3949 (really hoping it stays that way)
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 12:07:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Total round count: 3949
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 12:30:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Total round count: 3949
View Quote

Glad to see you're still alive and you didn't have to light it up last night.

And if you and your wife are gonna get freaky. Please cover the poor AUG's eyes. It doesn't need to see that.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 7:50:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
03/06/2018 Update - AUG emergency deployment
You can't make this up.  [by the way, please don't text quote all of this]
View Quote
Good to hear all is well.

I may have missed it, but why are your rifles taken apart?

The AUG is heavy, I use a padded magpul sling.

Do you have a light on the rifle?
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 1:36:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Good to hear all is well.

I may have missed it, but why are your rifles taken apart?

The AUG is heavy, I use a padded magpul sling.

Do you have a light on the rifle?
View Quote
They were in low profile deployment boxes, like pictured above - so broken down to fit.  At one time I kept loaded mags, but didn't have any loaded mags this time, which added about 45 seconds to prep.

I have a cheap light with integrated mounting system i keep around to throw on a rail when have need.  I threw it on later. I had a tiny low profile button light as well, but it was off.

After a full night of in-house constant carry,  an AUG with laser and a low hang sling was a phenomenal system, better than any other option.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 3:21:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Those cases you picked up are nice, but I wouldn't leave a go-to weapon in a disassembled state like that. I have at least one ready to use at all times.
I'm glad everything went smoothly for you. It's good to have cop friends.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 7:19:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I love how the compactness of bullpups shine in doors. It’s always fun to shoulder one in the House then realize that you have a rifle with a full length barrel sticking out less than a pistol with your arms full extended.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 12:10:42 AM EDT
[#9]
OP - Can you remind us what sling you are using?
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 1:12:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
https://www.spectergear.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=292

Normally I can't stand complex slings like that, but for the application of hip hang slinging a gun, slightly pointed down for safety and convenience all afternoon and evening, it worked extremely well.  I'm glad I had it.  By the sling mount points being where they are on an AUG, it hangs excellent with the system. You don't pull the sling off to deploy, just lift the well balanced AUG up, and ignore the sling.

On an AR, with bottom sling mounts, the rifle would have an odd torque trying to rotate on you while hung.  Also, the AR pistol grip would be hanging behind your center line.  It also would be behind the center of gravity. An AR is more difficult and uncomfortable to drop hand at naturally position, to the pistol grip, and also harder to elevate one handed.  On the AUG, it was very natural, easy, and comfortable.  Also, an AR has various knobs, levers and magazines on the left side and/or forward, making it snaggy.  The AUG is melted smooth on the left side at all the contact points,  making it a very comfortable and snag free 8 hour window.  It's a well considered design.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 2:36:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

https://www.spectergear.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=292.
View Quote
Awesome, thanks!
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 12:27:31 AM EDT
[#12]
For a "grab and go" setup, I keep the sling folded on the gun and secured with a Gearward Ranger Band. A quick yank and sling is deployed. And when not in use, the sling is out of the way but always there.

Also, the AUG can be stored with its sling + a 30rd mag in a tennis racquet case, or with the barrel off in a backpack.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 10:25:46 AM EDT
[#13]
spyderccomonkey, are you using the PupLight there? Currently I use that with a surefire fury but I'm wondering if there's a brighter light that fits it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 10:38:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
spyderccomonkey, are you using the PupLight there? Currently I use that with a surefire fury but I'm wondering if there's a brighter light that fits it.

Thanks
View Quote
Yes, I'm using the Puplight with the SF Furry. There's probably a good amount of 1" lights out there; I'm pretty satisfied with the existing 600lumens.

Afterall, the original Surefires - which were 2x brighter then a 2D Maglite - were 65 lumens.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 11:31:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Can a PupLight handle a full auto AUG? Looks like it'd get pretty hot.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Can a PupLight handle a full auto AUG? Looks like it'd get pretty hot.
View Quote
It gets hot, but I think you'd be hard pressed to heat it to a dangerous level so long as the flashlight itself is aluminum.

I'm sadly not living the FA lifestyle, but I did fire 200rds in about 15 minutes with mine, and it was no worse for wear.

The mount only attaches to the tailcap; if you were planning on spending the day at the range dumping FA relentlessly, you could just unscrew the light and just leave the tailcap in the PupLight mount.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got an AUG inbound, and am definitely interested in getting a light on board. Aside from the aforementioned PUPLight, what are some other illumination options AUG owners here have had good luck with?

Thanks,

Mike Smith/AAC
SilentMike
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 5:27:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've got an AUG inbound, and am definitely interested in getting a light on board. Aside from the aforementioned PUPLight, what are some other illumination options AUG owners here have had good luck with?

Thanks,

Mike Smith/AAC
SilentMike
View Quote
Well, you basically have 3 options:
1. The factory receiver rail over the trigger
2. The Puplight mount
3. A rail that replaces the VFG

Option 2-3 are good, option 1 is mediocre but easy.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 5:39:48 PM EDT
[#19]
You could also run a light on the top rail, if you don't need the space for anything else.

I don't see anything wrong w/ using the rail over the trigger. I don't normally like using a remote switch directly on a forward grip on guns like ARs anymore. But for me and how I run my AUGs. It's pretty much require. I know many do use a light by activating w/ their thumb. But I don't.

Link Posted: 3/15/2018 12:01:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thanks,

Mike Smith/AAC
SilentMike
View Quote
FWIW, I run a laser on the rail over the trigger.  To avoid messing up the zero, it just stays there 24/7, which consumes that rail.  So when I run a light, I just mount one on the rail on top of the integrated scope, which holds it well.  I don't worry about spiff light compression triggers with remote activation, I just reach up to the light, turn it on, and call it good.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 12:06:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thanks,

Mike Smith/AAC
SilentMike
View Quote
Works great for me, as I 'cup' my support hand in front of the trigger guard, and can flash the light on/off as needed.  YMMV as always.

Link Posted: 3/15/2018 10:01:29 AM EDT
[#22]
What light and mount do you have going on there RTPguy?

Thanks!

Mike Smith/AAC
SilentMike
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 10:43:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What light and mount do you have going on there RTPguy?

Thanks!

Mike Smith/AAC
SilentMike
View Quote
The light is a TLR1-HL - bright as hell, and has worked very well doing night training, etc.
No barrel 'shadow' of significance in reality.  The only downside of positioning there is when some 'evil' match director for a night match makes intentionally tiny cutouts to shoot through - effectively, you can only get the optic or the light lined up.  This has really only happened once, and I was cursing, but you still have some eye 'memory' in that you light the target and then get the optic on target quickly and it works ok.  Real-world - not an issue.

The mount is a Manticore Arms Talon mount.  I don't believe they're making them any more but they occasionally pop up for sale used.  It's a nice combination with the GHW flex swivel (QD takedown pin) and my 2/1pt sling as I use the flex swivel in single point mode which is the perfect location, and a QD on the Talon when in 2pt mode + the GHW swivel point.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Normally I can't stand complex slings like that, but for the application of hip hang slinging a gun, slightly pointed down for safety and convenience all afternoon and evening, it worked extremely well.  I'm glad I had it.  By the sling mount points being where they are on an AUG, it hangs excellent with the system. You don't pull the sling off to deploy, just lift the well balanced AUG up, and ignore the sling.

On an AR, with bottom sling mounts, the rifle would have an odd torque trying to rotate on you while hung.  Also, the AR pistol grip would be hanging behind your center line.  It also would be behind the center of gravity. An AR is more difficult and uncomfortable to drop hand at naturally position, to the pistol grip, and also harder to elevate one handed.  On the AUG, it was very natural, easy, and comfortable.  Also, an AR has various knobs, levers and magazines on the left side and/or forward, making it snaggy.  The AUG is melted smooth on the left side at all the contact points,  making it a very comfortable and snag free 8 hour window.  It's a well considered design.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The AUG is much better than what most arms observer gives it credit for, they get stuck on you can't effectively transition from right to left to right shoulder which is not really true but almost all miss the overall usability of the platform.
1, Low profile -which keeps people from seeing that you have a weapon until you want them to, could be the difference between life an death.
2, Carrying the weapon -which you will do more than shooting it, a weapon thats not right there when you need it because its in the way won't do you much good no matter how fast you are with you gaming speed drills.
3, Egronomics -Points naturally with large operating interfaces, Charging handle, Safety, Mag release button. Makes it easier when stressed and fueled with adreanline.

There is a very good reason why Israel went with the bullpup design because when you spend a lot of time in close quaters in houses and vehicles compactness is a huge advantage.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 9:50:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote
For this reason I'm looking at the H1. I would run it as rtpguy would since I'll be removing the CTgreen laser I have mounted there currently.

spydercomonkey, how did mount the SF F2 by the tail cap? My PupLight holds the light where it says FURY on it.

rtpguy, I could swear I have a manticore arms mount so I see a new project in my future.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 12:50:39 AM EDT
[#26]
03/17/2018 Update - 126 rounds of M193 fired today.  No rifle failures, but some other items.

Did some prone rapid shooting today.  Essentially 4 30 round mag-dumps in a row.  Found that AUG's do indeed get HOT, if you do that.  Also learned the trick of holding the front of the trigger grip during sand-bag prone, doesn't work so good when the gun gets that hot.  Your hand gets toasted, so pulled the front pistol grip back down, moved the gun such that this cleared the sandbags, and put my hand there.  Interestingly, my best performance was when I was holding the fore-grip like that, rather that the seemingly more precise/less-barrel-pressure of holding the front of the trigger guard.

The gun ran just fine.  But I think when it got that hot, it jacked up my spiffy laser.  When I checked this morning, the laser was spot on.  After those 120 rounds, I went to check it again, and it was way off.  Not even in the scope.  It also was hot, so I'm guessing the receiver heat conducted up into the thing, and messed up the zero.  So that's annoying!

Also, my sling came undone and sort of fell apart on my there.  Something slipped out of a buckle or something. (it's a correctable sling item that I had adjusted wrong, nothing to do with the rifle).

Total round count:  4075
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 2:03:29 AM EDT
[#27]
I know it has worked well until now. But maybe you need to upgrade to a better laser.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 4:54:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

spydercomonkey, how did mount the SF F2 by the tail cap? My PupLight holds the light where it says FURY on it.
View Quote
You just line up the ridges in the Fury tailcap with the ridges in the Pulight, tighten it down, and you should be good to go.

If you zoom in, you should be able to see where it's positioned; its very ergonomic in this setup.

Link Posted: 3/18/2018 9:28:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I know it has worked well until now. But maybe you need to upgrade to a better laser.
View Quote
LOL. Yeah,maybe a bit less on the $10 laser on the $2000 rifle. :) :)

Lazy, maybe try a Veridian XL?
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 11:03:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks spydercomonkey, mine was sitting on the bench and I bumped it and it scooted into the position yours is in so it will be remounted that way on my rifle when I reassemble it.

Is that a CT laser above your trigger? It looks like the green one I have currently.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 9:13:32 PM EDT
[#31]
04/7/2018 Update - 85 rounds of 55 FMJ, SP, and 75 gr Match ammo - all fired at 200 yards.  No failures of any kind.

Total round count:  4160
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 10:46:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You just line up the ridges in the Fury tailcap with the ridges in the Pulight, tighten it down, and you should be good to go.

If you zoom in, you should be able to see where it's positioned; its very ergonomic in this setup.

https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23574&stc=1&d=1517799815
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23574&stc=1&d=1517799815
I got it done but failed to thank you for the tip on that; it's much better this way! Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 1:43:55 AM EDT
[#33]
05/28/2018 Update - 90 rounds of light ammunition fired.  No failures of any kind.

Total round count:  4250
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 2:53:00 AM EDT
[#34]
08/26/2018 Update - 100 rounds fired.  No failures of any kind.

Total round count:  4350

Conducted a multi-bay carbine match course of fire with multiple guns, to see how the AUG stacks up on the same course of fire with the same shooter.

AUG: 18" w/ 3X optics
RRA M4 Middy: 16" with middy gas system, 1/9 BBL, standard A2 FH, LaRue 2-stage trigger, 2.5X Primary Arm's CQB scope (I really like this scope).
PSA rig: carbine gas system, 1/7 BBL, standard A2 FH, single stage trigger, Sightmark Wolverine CSR LQD Red Dot Sight (tough little red dot, but no magnificaiton)

Timed event, range was empty.  Starting at a bench with a gong 200 yards away.  Two shots:

Then shooter drops the mag, and clears the rifle.  Then, while holding the gun muzzle always within 180 rule, run over to the next bay (i.e. run from right bay, over to the left bay - by being clear, this is just moving an unloaded gun from one bay to another bay):

Grap pre-staged magazine at the bench on this 50 yard bay.  Insert full magazine, and rack the bolt.  

From offhand, engage the two outermost silhouettes.

Then set at bench, and put two rounds in each of two pistol targets 50 yards away.  Stand, step forward onto the grass, and engage the dog (top silhoette half) target.   Then run forward to a close-range preset target on the left (you can barely see it; left side box in the grass), pump two fast rounds into it, then spin and engage the IDPA target 15 feet on the other side (bigger coardboard box on right side of bay) - engage two rounds in it.

Then run forward to bag, put two rounds into each of the inner silhoettes.  Then retreat back to bench, and engage at 50 yard distance, two more small pistol targets.

Then drop mag and cycle rifle to clear.  Then run BACK to 200 yard bay.

Grab the prior mag, insert - and rack the rifle.  Engage the gong at 200 yards two more rounds.  Then done, and stop the timer.

The purpose of this test was to exercise the equipment in both accuracy at distance, very close quarters, semi-close quarters, rapid and wide turning for target engagement, and multiple reloads and other manipulations, all while on the timer.  This was a fairly intense general-purpose run to see how well the gun (and shooter of course), can do under a wide range of engagement demands, all in the same run.  I wanted to test how an AUG compares to an M4.

Results:
Run 1:
PSA rig: 1 min 50 seconds: the red-dot makes hitting the 200 yard gong and smaller pistol targets at 50 yards notably slower.
RRA M4: 2 min 00 seconds.  Had difficult getting 30 round magazine to lock at the 50 yard bay, and had to clear a round (ammo related item, in all fairness).
AUG: 1 min 48 seconds.  Found I flipped up the pistol grip when shooting from rest at the bench, and pulled it down when shooting off-hand (which was most of it).

OK, run 1 had some technical issues.  So repeated.
Run 2:
PSA rig: 1 min 48 seconds.
RRA M4:1 min 32 seconds.  Again, had a hard time getting mag to lock in under the closed bolt, but got it running and this was a fast run.
AUG: 1 min 38 seconds.

Conclusion:  The second run is likely the more credible comparison run, since the "newness" was worn off by this run.  In some ways all the guns run times were comparable.  I'd say the biggest advantages the 16" Middy had were it's lighter weight, better trigger, and softer recoil let me run it a little faster.  In my opinion, AUG's have more recoil than they should, for gun that is as heavy as it is.  The gas system of a mid-length M4 is just softer.  The better aftermarket 2-stage trigger let me touch of those 200 yard shots and little 50 yard target shots better with the M4, than the AUG as well.  One big advantage the AUG had was that magazine insertions always worked, unlike the M4 where they often did not (not a full 30 under a closed bolt).

AUG recoil is odd, from the bench it moves you worse than the M4 and takes longer to require target aim.  But off-hand you actually seem to recover faster than an M4.  I had three casing still in the air when I spun from engaging the left box target to the right.

The pistol grip is neat, as it's a mono pod when bench rest is low, or flip it up when the rest is high.

Cleaned the gun when done.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#35]
The faster recovery while standing is because of how well balanced the AUG is. The center of gravity is at the pistol grip vs an AR, which has its center of gravity in front of the mag well
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 9:38:59 PM EDT
[#36]
9/2/2018 updarte:  Fired 38 rounds from 200 yards.  No failures of any kind.

Tested POI shift, accuracy, and affect of gun-hold.  Two bench positions tested:
1.  "mono-pod" style:  Sort of using the veritcle grip with your fist as a monopod while firing from a bench.  Your fist makes the bottom 3" of the monopod and is what is resting on the bench top.
2. "Free float" - flipped up vertical grip, and Resting the bottom of the main pistol grip on a raised block of wood, and support hand either on rear stock, or grabbing on to the trigger guard (i.e. barrel is "free floating")

5 shot groups

55 FMJ reloads (Hornady; M193)
Monopod: 0.7 MOA MR; 0.9 MOA low; 0.9 MOA right
FreeFloat: 0.4 MOA Mean Radius (1.3 MOA extreme spread); 0.2 MOA low; 1.8 MOA right

62 gr Fed Greed Tip (M855)
Monopod 1.7 MOA MR; 3 MOA high; 0.2 MOA right
FreeFloat 1.6 MOA MR; 1.4 MOA high; 0.9 MOA right

73 gr match loads (Berger - 8 shot string)
FreeFloat:: 0.94 MOA MR.  0 MOA high; 0.8 MOA Right

Conclusions (this is a limited data set, so more of a "trends" than anything else:
-Free float tended be more accurate than monopod.
-Fed 62 gr green tip (M855) is the worst performer (and had a noticeably strong recoil).  73 gr match ammo didn't really shine today - , and I question if was representational.  55 FMJ shot best.
-M855 has a ~2 MOA higher point of impact than M193 (55 FMJ).  73 gr Berger match was close to the same as the M193.
-Monopod vs Freefloat might have moved the point of impact, but if so, there's no clear trend.

Total round count: 4388
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 8:54:43 PM EDT
[#37]
9/3/2018 update:  Fired 279 rounds.  1 jam (double feed) with factory ammo (M855).

CQB drills today mostly from 10 to 25 yards.  AUG's do tend to warm up, and stay warm, when firing at a high rate like that.

One jam.  A double feed.  This was while shooting Green tip factory loaded M855, for which this gun was designed.  So can't blame the ammo.  Two live rounds tried feeding at the same time.  Only way I can see that happening is the round-jumped out of the mag upon cycling somehow.  Why did a round jump?  Who knows, it can happen with AUG mags, and the M855 does have a notably higher recoil, so maybe that was a factor.  Not thrilled that it had a jam, AUG's almost never jam - and this wasn't user error or bad ammo, the platform just jammed.  

Log note: magazine #1, 30 round green base-plate, Federal green tip M855, gas setting at normal.  Jam on round #4605 (ish); 6th round left in mag.

Removed the mag, pulled back on charging handle so both rounds fell out the bottom.  Picked them up, put them back into the magazine, and finished out the string.

Total round count: 4667
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 9:09:50 PM EDT
[#38]
I’ve had a number of these Jams before, couldn’t figure why but it was the exact same jam with the same dents to the bullet. It’s at least once every other range trip and it’s disappointing. It’s happened with different magazines and different ammo, and the gun has almost 1000 rounds now
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 9:12:37 PM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 9/4/2018 12:41:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I’ve had a number of these Jams before, couldn’t figure why but it was the exact same jam with the same dents to the bullet. It’s at least once every other range trip and it’s disappointing. It’s happened with different magazines and different ammo, and the gun has almost 1000 rounds now
View Quote
It's round-jump.  Can happen with excessively vigorous insertion.  AUG magazine lips aren't supported when inserted (in an AR, the top of the magwell is machined to mate up with and support the mag-lips from above).  So an AUG magazine lips can flex out more, than in an AR.  Normally this isn't a big deal, because the AUG magazine lips are much thicker, so don't need support like thin AR lips.

The top round in the mag is being held down a little bit, by the underside of the bolt carrier.  Upon firing, the bolt and carrier slide along the top of the case body.  Once clear, the round will pop up the last 1/32 (ish) of an inch, to engage the magazine lips, and wait for the bolt to come back forward, to hit the head and start sliding the round out.  For some reason, in that tiny gap of time and space, the round did not stop at the magazine lips.  This mostly does imply an issue with the magazine, and the underside dimensions and tension of the mag lips.  In my case, I guess the recoil and the bolt-carrier smack into the back of the stock was enough vigor, that it jarred the round out somehow.  At a guess, hotter full-house M855 and M193 is more likely to create faster bolt speeds, and so a more vigorous impact jarring when the bolt carrier comes to stop.

Supposedly the AUG-PMag's were also developed to help with round-jump.  So I'm curious if you tried one of those, and the problem persists.  I also suspect switching to a milder ammo like Wolf Gold might help, but that's a crap "solution", if that's really it.

I will say, it's actually pretty rare for me to shoot M855 in my AUG.  Normally I like shooting that ammo in tighter chambers, as I really like that brass, and usually intend to recover it for later precision match ammo.  I don't think it's coincidental that the jam occurred with the hot M855 ammo.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 1:54:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Out of all my AUGs the ONLY time I’ve ever had a jam was when I was shooting from a sled. I put my had over the ejection port and got something similar to this except with one live and one empty. As for the VFG. I’ve noticed that some AUGs will have a very slight POI shift with no weight on the VFG and some don’t. Oddly enough I’ve noticed more of a POI shift with weight on the grip while folded then no weight on it at all.  I’ve never noticed a POI shift from removing the bbl even after years of use. When I zero an AUG I always do it with the grip down and weight on it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 11:48:03 AM EDT
[#42]
I've had double feeds before when using US made AUG mags (they have a clear square around the round count numbers on the mag body).  Austrian made mags have always been 100%
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 1:11:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I've had double feeds before when using US made AUG mags (they have a clear square around the round count numbers on the mag body).  Austrian made mags have always been 100%
View Quote
I've had this type of jam with .mil rounds but the only other rounds I shoot are handloads but I will try out mcantu's experience when I can lay hands on both mag types.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 10:11:50 PM EDT
[#44]
All three mags(magpul included)are packed with 60 rounds of green tip ammo. I'm thinking the previous double feed was with Q3131A.

Side note: shooting 3131A in my A3M1 had no issues but I don't know what mag was used.

Results will post tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 11:36:19 AM EDT
[#45]
60 rounds green tip ammo: runs poorly in domestic made AUG mag(square around number); perfect in Austrian and Magpul AUG mags.

Next i loaded a box of PMC 223 in the domestic AUG mag and it jammed every other round. I quit at 12 shots.

The hurt rounds looked like Jonathan's but only one was ever damaged? Not a true double feed, right?

Does anyone know of any recourse on these mags? I still need to try: bunny fart handloads and a different rifle.

Hope this helps someone.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 11:44:51 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm glad to see that what I noticed about the US-made AUG mags wasn't just my imagination.

I bought them from Pete years ago so I don't know whether to contact him (it's been 4-5 years) or Steyr
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 8:23:02 PM EDT
[#47]
9/6/2018 update:  Fired 82 rounds.  No jams, but some test results.

Took the AUG out with Wolf Gold and with some 55 FMJ reloads.  

All runs were with just 5 rounds in the mags.  No jams, but did have one failure to lock back on the 42 round mag with the reloads (not that big of a deal).  The run was a team-building event with one of our new employees, so I was able to observe a little and do some tests.

Test 1: Pull back on the mag, to see if this causes a double feed.  So I grabbed the front of the mag and yanked back while firing.  This had no effect and gun shot 100% (well, so much for my prior theory that recoil rocking the mag back can cause double feeds).  
Test 2: Run the gun with several mags and see how she runs.  On one of the runs, I saw the mag went in and the round popped up somehow, just from magazine insertion.  It looked like this:

Must have snagged something on insertion, or something.  No way in Hell is that going to load and cycle.  So.... rather than give up, I hit the bolt release button just to see what would happen.  Guess what, the bolt closed and chambered that round just fine.  We just looked at each other - Blew my mind.  "No way in Hell would an AR have been able to do that" the guy says.   I never would have thought that would have cycled in, but the AUG handled that fine.   What magazine was that anyway... I flip it over, and it's AUG Magazine #1.   Hmmm... that's interesting.

Test 3: still running it, I see the weird partial jump shown above happens again on me, while seating the mag (in fact, take a close look at the first photo, and you can see it).  What the Hell?   I flip over to see which of the 5 mags I brought it is... and it's AUG Magazine #1.   Riiight.

Test 4:  I insert magazines with vigor and all of them are fine, except one of them, which does a full round jump this time.  

Which magazine did that anyway?   AUG Magazine #1.

I'm getting a theory here.....   I'll post later the markings to see if anything suggests that one is from a different lot or fabrication date.

Total round count: 4749
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 9:39:50 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm trying to remember from way back in the day, but word was that mags that were susceptible to popping a round when inserted too hard on an open bolt had the date code on a particular side. I don't remember which side though
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 11:35:12 PM EDT
[#49]
I remember trying the aggressive insertion on an AUG but I never had any luck popping any rounds out.

It just dawned on me after reading mcantu's response and thinking about it later, I never got double feeds in today's experiment. It did happen to my buddy using my AUG(double feed)with green tip ammo but the mag used is unknown.
If you look at my post above remember I never got double feeds, just failure to feed with the round jammed and looking like the bad ones on Jonathan's double feeds.

Next weeks plan is reloads and greentip ammo since I got a big box of both and the domestic AUG mag that gave me fits today. Let's see if it runs fine with my target rounds.
In the meantime I need to rip into my storage and find out how many of these lame mags I have before I try to figure out who to return them to.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 11:49:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Experiment - slow mo video of AUG firing sequence.  AUG firing cycle
Be sure to hit the setting gear button, and run it at 0.25 speed, and at max resolution.

Observe the gas port ejection flash as well
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top