Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2022 4:55:19 PM EDT
Went to mail a Glock lower via Priority Mail today and handed Priority Mail box and PS1508 to clerk. He looks at it puzzled, asks other clerk (who has processed many of my firearms shipments including one last Friday) if we send these out. Other clerk says, yes put it in clear wrapper and attach it. So he folds the PS1508 stuffs it in one of those mailers, and then attaches it to my Priority Mail box.

I am like huh? Ask is that new procedure as I have never seen that done before and have never received a package like that ever (other clerk has left room so cannot ask her). He says yes they do it this way so they can inspect it along route. I am like OK. I always ship fully insured so we will see but this is like a giant "STEAL ME" sign on the package.

Anyone ever seen this before?

eta

Postmaster was not there so could not ask him. I will next time I see him. He is a gun guy and customer.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 10:28:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Top right corner of the form:
Statement by Shipper of Firearms
(Domestic Mail Manual C024, retain form for 1 year)
View Quote

Kinda hard to retain if you tape it to the box.

As far as what should be done with it:
432.24 Certificate of Manufacturers, Dealers, and Importers
A federal firearms licensee manufacturer, dealer, or importer need not file the affidavit under 432.22, but must file with the Postmaster a statement on PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms, signed by the mailer that he or she is a licensed manufacturer, dealer, or importer of firearms. The mailer must also state that the parcels containing handguns, or parts and components of handguns under 432.2d, are being mailed in customary trade shipments or contain such articles for repairing or replacing parts, and that to the best of their knowledge the addressees are licensed manufacturers, dealers, or importers of firearms. Registered Mail service is recommended.

Postmasters may forward an unsatisfactory mailer statement to the PCSC for a ruling.
View Quote

Nothing in USPS regs says anything about taping it to the box because its supposed to be kept in a file for a year.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 12:16:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I will relate my adventure under the waning FBHO administration.  I went to mail a hand gun like I'd done dozens of times before.  In my small town, the USPS people don't turn over much, so I recognized the clerks and they recognize me.  So, I hand them my box and my 1508 and assume all is well.  "Now, you have to give us a copy of your FFL to file when you mail these."  Shocked, I whipped out my I-phone and googled up the regs and showed them that nowhere does it say that.  So, i ask to talk to the local postmaster/supervisor, was promised a call back and left, went home and got a copy of my FFL, left it with them with only the first 3/last 5 showing and as much info as i thought i could get away with blacked out.  I know it was surrender to stupidity, but I'd cashed the buyer's check and owed him a gun.  So, a few days later I got a call; not from the postmaster, but from agent Larry from the Department of Homeland Security.  Sensing this was about to go "over the cliff crazy" I decided to let him do the talking.  He started talking about how they'd come to do a routine audit on the local PO and found all the 1508s they had retained.  In my town of 10,000 we seem to have a lot of home based FFLs that stay busy.  Sensing they were seeing a lapse in national security, they "told" the post office people that they needed to start getting a copy of the sender's FFL and the recipient's FFL if they could. This, they were certain, would stop another 9/11.  So, hearing that, realizing i was not about to go to the federal pen for some unknown violation of the Patriot Act, I started laying out a scenario for agent Larry.  "how about if I leave my FFL with the post office and an unscrupulous PO employee gets it and decides to order a gun from another dealer or distributor.  He provides my FFL and asks that the gun be sent to my premises instead of my UPS box.  He keeps a watch for it and intercepts it before delivery to me.  Now, he has a gun with no 4473, I have no record of the transaction, and I will have to start answering questions to the ATF if the gun is found at a crime scene and starts a trace. It looks to me, agent Larry, like you've deliberately enabled arming terrorists since the mailman could order 1000 AKs.  As long as the order gets paid for, all would be well."  "Could that really happen?" asked Larry.  "I don't know why not.  They have everything from my business to order guns and the capability to intercept the shipment".  "Thanks for that input.  I'll get back to you".  I think it was about 3 days later; I got a call from the local postmaster saying I could come pick up my FFL copy.  No explanation, no further interaction with agent Larry.  I've never had anything but, "thanks for your business" any time since then that I mail a handgun.  Since I use a discrete version my business name on the return address i try to make the package not "look like a gun".  It would seem to me that attaching the 1508 to the box says, "steal me".  Even with this sort of stupidity, I choose to be happy.  That will last unless you make me tell my UPS depot story....
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 5:08:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Not surprised.  Retards everywhere these days.  Most USPS folks have no clue what to do with the form.  Taping it in the box is a fucking no go however....violates the shipping requirements which actually say that it cannot be labeled as a firearms shipment (to keep it from being targeted for theft).  Morons...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top