Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2021 10:02:32 PM EDT
I missed submitting my Form 20 for an in-state move by several years.  Anyone done a retroactive notification?  Any trouble, or is it just a formality since the Form 1 and 4 do not specify a timeline for that notification?    Also, I cannot find a statutory timeline in the NFA handbook or on the ATF web site.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:07:35 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not required at all for an intrastate move
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:14:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's not required at all for an intrastate move
View Quote

Approval is not required to move in your state, but the ATF would like you to help them keep the NFRTR up to date. It does say on the form 1 and form 4 that the registrant shall update the ATF should the address change. For a long time people wrote letters. Up until about 7 years ago (maybe?) the ATF was accepting those letters. Suddenly, the ATF started denying letters and stating that people needed to submit a 5320.20. Also, another thing to keep in mind, failure to update the ATF would prohibit you from taking your NFA firearms (SBR, SBS, MG, DD) out of state since the registered address wouldn't match.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:17:06 PM EDT
[#3]
The complication is that now that I want to do an interstate trip, the interstate Form 20 is being disapproved because of the old address on file.  So now I have to submit my address change first, which will show the move years ago.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:22:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The complication is that now that I want to do an interstate trip, the interstate Form 20 is being disapproved because of the old address on file.  So now I have to submit my address change first, which will show the move years ago.
View Quote

Yep. That is the same issue others were running into.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:27:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Smart way for the ATF to keep the registry up to date over time.  You also cannot sell or transfer without a current address.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:44:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ok, so no issue from ATF with these late in-state move notifications that anyone has heard of?  I know there are two camps, both with good points.  But I have never heard of ATF suggesting that possession of an NFA weapon at an unregistered (new in-state) address forfeits that firearm's registration status.  There is some conversation on Reddit's NFA subforum on this.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#7]
i'll just throw this out there....

i moved within the state a few years (2017) and never filed a F20.  i did file a F20 to take some NFA goodies to a shooting competition out of state in (2018, 2019 and 2020).  I submitted and was approved each time.  no big deal.  i bet the just updated their records when i submitted the F20.

oh and also email the forms.  its much faster.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:01:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
i'll just throw this out there....

i moved within the state a few years (2017) and never filed a F20.  i did file a F20 to take some NFA goodies to a shooting competition out of state in (2018, 2019 and 2020).  I submitted and was approved each time.  no big deal.  i bet the just updated their records when i submitted the F20.

oh and also email the forms.  its much faster.

YMMV.
View Quote

Now that is unusual!  I suppose it depends on the reviewer you get.  For a local move, some people put NA in the date field an it's approved but for others it's flushed. Like most NFA owners, I'm a legal beagle, so this kind of thing stresses me out. :)
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:01:50 PM EDT
[#9]
...deleted duplicate post...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top