Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2021 7:45:01 AM EDT
Building first form 1 can and I seem remember seeing at least one or two threads regarding titanium tube failures due to laser engraving.

Is it safe to have the tube engraved or don't even go there and engrave the mount or end cap?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:40:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Verify that your engraver is purging the HAZ (Heat Affected Zone) w/ inert gas. There should be no oxygen present, while Titanium is being engraved, welded, etc.
If you have any doubts, doing the end cap is a safe alternative.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:30:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Verify that your engraver is purging the HAZ (Heat Affected Zone) w/ inert gas. There should be no oxygen present, while Titanium is being engraved, welded, etc.
If you have any doubts, doing the end cap is a safe alternative.
View Quote

I sent a note to the engraver I work with.  He noted purging the HAZ area with inert gas is a requirement when using a YAG laser.  Apparently those generate a lot of heat.  

He noted the laser he uses does not generate that kind of heat and you pick up the tube immediately after engraving with your bare hands. He also noted he's been engraving tubes for the last 10 years and never had anyone come back with an issue.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:37:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
He noted the laser he uses does not generate that kind of heat and you pick up the tube immediately after engraving with your bare hands. He also noted he's been engraving tubes for the last 10 years and never had anyone come back with an issue.
View Quote

I would never have a Ti tube laser engraved without an inert atmosphere, I don't care what kind of laser it is.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:21:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I would never have a Ti tube laser engraved without an inert atmosphere, I don't care what kind of laser it is.
View Quote

Can you explain why it is important? I know nothing about that stuff.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because titanium heated to >1,000°F in open atmosphere will hydrogen embrittle.

The HAZ may be small with laser engraving, but it's there.  You're literally vaporizing material with a laser beam that quickly heats the material to over 6,000°F.  What's in the immediate vicinity will be embrittled.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:06:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The HAZ may be small with laser engraving, but it's there.  You're literally vaporizing material with a laser beam that quickly heats the material to over 6,000°F.  What's in the immediate vicinity will be embrittled.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So then it fractures where it was engraved?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:30:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So then it fractures where it was engraved?
View Quote

It can.  We've seen enough of them to know it's an issue.  Crux is the poster child for Ti engraving causing tube failures.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:56:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Building first form 1 can and I seem remember seeing at least one or two threads regarding titanium tube failures due to laser engraving.

Is it safe to have the tube engraved or don't even go there and engrave the mount or end cap?

Thanks
View Quote

Lots of MFGs laser engrave Ti.

Find someone who knows how to do it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:22:47 PM EDT
[#9]
If you can find an engraver that will warranty their work (pay for another efile and any other damages), then go ahead.

If not, get the adapter engraved.  Let’s just say I know a guy...  Tubes rupturing is most definitely a thing.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:29:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Is there a list of engravers out there that do it the “right way”?  I have a handful of F1’s I should be seeing approvals for shortly.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 7:35:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I've seen it happen on a tube that was over-built by industry standards. I would personally do mechanical engraving unless the engraver was 100% confident and guaranteed the results.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Wish I had found this thread a week ago. I just got mine back from tar heel, since they've been recommended here. Does anyone know if it should be ok?

https://tarheelstatefirearms.com/

It looks good and the shipping was fast.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:25:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I can tell you that unless their entire shop/garage is full of inert gas, they’re engraving in normal atmosphere. I’ve had them engrave probably 100 or so things for me (including stuff for church), and he’s my local FFL.

They’ve done all 10 of my F1 cans, including several that are Ti...but I’ve never had a tube engraved.

I’ve never heard of anybody reporting a tube they engraved cracking. I get texts from Teri every couple weeks about something or another, and it’s a topic that has never come up as an issue.
View Quote

Didn't realize you could even engrave the cap, thought it had to be the tube.

So on the off chance I do crack it, can I take it to someone that repairs suppressors?
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 1:08:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 4:45:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wish I had found this thread a week ago. I just got mine back from tar heel, since they've been recommended here. Does anyone know if it should be ok?

https://tarheelstatefirearms.com/

It looks good and the shipping was fast.
View Quote

Tarheel apparently uses 15-20 light passes to get the depth, a lot of people have used them for this.  There have been problems with other engravers.  I've used ncengravers also, probably the only two shops I would trust with the tubes.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 4:52:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Tarheel apparently uses 15-20 light passes to get the depth, a lot of people have used them for this.  There have been problems with other engravers.  I've used ncengravers also, probably the only two shops I would trust with the tubes.
View Quote

Good to know. It's also a grade 9 tube if it makes a difference.

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 8:21:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I build industrial marking lasers of various types. YAG, fibra, CO2 etc. I wouldn't trust anyone to do it.

In my shop I would use hi quality dot peen stamper for a Ti can far over the laser.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:25:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This isn't a Ti tube, and obviously a lot more engraving than just maker's info...but if you wanted an example of their actual laser at work....here's the 2nd Amendment being engraved on a 40oz tumbler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqqkHFAhPTM

Here it is after 4 years of use.

https://i.imgur.com/n6JKvNZ.jpg
View Quote
What's the depth of that mark? From the video it looks to be an annealed mark not engraved? Would that meat NFA requirements?
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:50:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:02:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I don't have a way to measure the depth of that engraving. But the legal minimum is .003", which is roughly the thickness of a sheet of printer paper. Most engraving is WAY deeper than required.

I posted that video just as an example of the laser...multiple passes instead of one single deep engraving like a mechanical engraver usually does.
View Quote
Most lasers, especially when going at the speed in your video do not have the power to engrave. They anneal. The surface of the material is changed to give you a quality looking mark but you don't have any actual depth to it.

eta: my $50k lasers aren't going to engrave at any speed let alone at the speed in video. Gunna need to up your budget to get into an industrial machine capable of engraving hard metals.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 1:30:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Most lasers, especially when going at the speed in your video do not have the power to engrave. They anneal. The surface of the material is changed to give you a quality looking mark but you don't have any actual depth to it.

eta: my $50k lasers aren't going to engrave at any speed let alone at the speed in video. Gunna need to up your budget to get into an industrial machine capable of engraving hard metals.
View Quote

Tarheel State Firearms is also local to me and I've dropped off parts to have engraved by Teri.  I don't have a reliable way to measure depth but can absolutely say that there is actual depth to the engraving in titanium, polymer, aluminum, and steel and that it's at least 0.003" or more (looking at the engraving and at my calipers to try to eyeball what the depth looks like in comparison)
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 3:25:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That laser was in the $30K range. It's plenty enough to do everything asked of it. Thousands of satisfied customers across the country have had THSF engrave their stuff.

But I'm not sure, nor do I care, what your point is, so I'm done with this one.
View Quote
I just wanted to know if it was annealed or engraved. It's a pretty simple question.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 8:47:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

More like oxygen contamination.  You get an oxygen enriched surface layer, alpha case, which does not have good ductility.  Alpha case is not allowed on Ti flat products like sheet, tubing, or plate.
The alpha case must be removed either by abrasives, machining, or pickling/chem milling.

Not enough time for H2 embrittlement in air, with a small pinpoint area.
If a block of Ti is in a furnace at say 1950F for beta work, and is left in there too long (depends on how thick it is) you get alpha case plus some hydrogen pickup.  Sitting in an acid bath can also pick up Hydrogen as youre removing the protective oxide layer, and the pickle reaction generates metal ions and H2
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 2:21:25 PM EDT
[#27]
So with all this being said:

Where should I send a Ti tube for proper engraving (laser or mechanical)?

I have a project that requires a To tube and mount/end cap so I don't have any alternative materials or locations for laser engraving.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 9:15:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 10:14:15 AM EDT
[#29]
So does anyone have an engraver to recommend that uses an inert atmosphere for titanium?

Or a mechanical engraver?

Should I just use a dremal?

My form 1 got approved this morning and would like to get moving on it.

Link Posted: 7/12/2021 2:44:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Or a mechanical engraver?
View Quote

There's the answer everyone has been looking for.

ECCO Machine.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 3:26:44 PM EDT
[#31]
The Ti tubes I’ve seen posted that failed (like Crux) are engraved way too deep and/or in too thin a spot and have sharp font.

I’ve had all my Ti tubes laser engraved. My buddy has a fiber laser, and does light passes. It never gets hot enough to not be able to touch. Just gets warm. Also uses font with no sharp corners. I was there when the laser was delivered and talked to the rep about embrittlement. He said he’s the rep that sold a laser to Gemtech for engraving their cans and it’s a non-issue if done this way…

He could’ve been totally full shit, it’s impossible to say. But my tubes have been fine with 1000’s of rounds from 556 SBR. Just my two cents.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top