Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2022 8:16:50 AM EDT
I just ordered a LabRadar Lite from Midway.  Which is a LabRadar without the Bluetooth chips that apparently are unobtanium due to global supply issues.

I’d appreciate input on all the other stuff I need, or “need”.

Here’s my starting list:

Case - Apache 4800 from Harbor Freight

Tripod - LabRadar branded or something else?

Trigger - ?

Battery Pack - ?

SD Catds -  ?

Anything else?

Any and all recommendations appreciated.

I will of course using the @-Obsessed-  LabRadar Data Tool
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 8:33:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Accelerometer trigger. I use the JKL Precision.

Figure out a way to mount it. They sell a flexible mount that would work for light to moderate rifle loads but it pops off on high power rifle and all centerfire handguns.

I designed a pretty nice one that is 3D printed. I've considered commercializing it but haven't got that far yet.

If you can't find a solution or don't have a printer I'll print you one and send it for cost of shipping.

I'd skip the aiming mounts. Honestly the need to get it perfect is overblown. I've fired over a thousand rounds past my LR and never a single issue lining it up with just eyeballing it.

I really like having both a tripod and the base, depending on where I'm shooting.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 8:38:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 9:08:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I use the Piet Trigger, works great...

I use a vortex summit tripod, it works good for standing, bench or prone, its light but solid...remember when using a trigger, the Labradar still needs to be aligned and reasonable close to the rifle to pick up all the data..

Attachment Attached File
https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-summit-ss-p-tripod.html

https://pietrecoiltrigger.com
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 2:49:38 AM EDT
[#4]
- SD card needs to be 16GB or less, otherwise it doesn't function. I keep one in the LR and an extra in the case.
- Camera tripod when used with pistols. I keep the legs retracted when shooting from a bench and extend the legs when no bench.
- Hard case for storage from HF.
- I've thought about adding a threaded fitting to the side of the case so the LR can attach to it for bench rest work.
- I haven't needed a trigger, but I bought materials to make a few.
- Download Obsessed's number crunching tool.

Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:47:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Dam you OP!!!!

I wasn't aware they were coming back in stock, and you just cost me $559!!!!!!!!!!!

Only downfall is I should have waited to get one from Brownells due to their own lifetime warranty. My last one went tits up last year when the motherboard came loose inside after falling only 6" over on the bench. It was almost 2 years old, and I sent it back for a full credit.

I'm an impulsive idiot

Going to check out the download here for it when it comes in.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 4:00:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dam you OP!!!!

I wasn't aware they were coming back in stock, and you just cost me $559!!!!!!!!!!!

Only downfall is I should have waited to get one from Brownells due to their own lifetime warranty. My last one went tits up last year when the motherboard came loose inside after falling only 6" over on the bench. It was almost 2 years old, and I sent it back for a full credit.

I'm an impulsive idiot

Going to check out the download here for it when it comes in.
View Quote

Yeah, my plan back before COVID was to buy from Brownell's fir that reason.  But by the time I had the cash LabRadars we’re unobtanium.

I’m at the point now that I want velocity data on almost a weekly basis, yet due to weather or range usage I’m doing good if I can set up an optical chrono once a month.  

I’m tired of waiting so I figured I’d just pull the trigger.  

Maybe in one week Brownell’s will have them in stock snd we can both kick ourselves
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 4:26:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yeah, my plan back before COVID was to buy from Brownell's fir that reason.  But by the time I had the cash LabRadars we’re unobtanium.

I’m at the point now that I want velocity data on almost a weekly basis, yet due to weather or range usage I’m doing good if I can set up an optical chrono once a month.  

Maybe in one week Brownell’s will have them in stock snd we can both kick ourselves
View Quote

Amen on that.

Took the words right out of my keyboard.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 4:33:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you both just go ahead and buy one of the new ones where ever you can find one and don't open them when you get them, than brownell's will get a  bunch in and you can order from them and return the others to where you got them...
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 4:39:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If you both just go ahead and buy one of the new ones where ever you can find one and don't open them when you get them, than brownell's will get a  bunch in and you can order from them and return the others to where you got them...
View Quote

It's funny you say that, because I was thinking if I can have the willpower to not open the box and wait a few more weeks.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 6:20:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow I was unaware there was an option for a no-bluetooth version.  FWIW, I use my bluetooth feature and tend to recommend it, but I suppose it's not really needed.

Biggest item is you'll want a good bench-top mount to put it on.  It's big and heavy, so be careful about going cheap on that.  

Link Posted: 5/15/2022 7:11:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wow I was unaware there was an option for a no-bluetooth version.  FWIW, I use my bluetooth feature and tend to recommend it, but I suppose it's not really needed.

Biggest item is you'll want a good bench-top mount to put it on.  It's big and heavy, so be careful about going cheap on that.  

View Quote

LabRadar just introduced this version, and only because they cannot source specific chips required for Bluetooth operation.  

I’m guessing for the foreseeable future all new LabRadars bro g released will be the “lite” version sans Bluetooth.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 7:30:07 PM EDT
[#12]
A battery pack will pay for itself in short order.
You might want a trigger, I only use one if I an shooting prone in tall grass.
Doppler trigger works fine most of the time, exceptions would be other shooters close (real close) or the unit being pointed/ aimed badly, and strong wind with tall grass etc. seems to trigger it sometimes.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:17:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A battery pack will pay for itself in short order.
You might want a trigger, I only use one if I an shooting prone in tall grass.
Doppler trigger works fine most of the time, exceptions would be other shooters close (real close) or the unit being pointed/ aimed badly, and strong wind with tall grass etc. seems to trigger it sometimes.
View Quote

Yes a battery pack is worth it's weight in gold.

First thing I did when I got mine.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:30:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Which external battery packs are you gents using?  

And what type of cable to connect the external battery to the LabRadar?
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

It uses a standard Micro USB.

I have several PNY branded power banks that are small, and they use a single 18650 and a buck converter. I've also used a massive power bank in a pinch and some other times I use my Milwaukee M18 USB power supply for all day sessions.

For a quick trip with only a few strings, I use rechargeable Lithium AAs. Helps keep pressure off the USB port.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:33:16 PM EDT
[#16]
At the very least a decent tri-pod and a battery pack.
I found mine was finicky with the SD cards.  It seems to prefer smaller capacity cards.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:57:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I use a GoalZero because I had one already, that's not a recommendation.
Lots of decent ones available now for far less money.
As another poster stated it uses standard Micro USB, I like a longer cable so thing dont get cluttered up.
I guess you need to get a tripod mount too? I think its a 1/4 inch bolt, but its been years since I got my unit and it came with a base and a soft case so check first.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:19:25 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a bunch of ryobi cordless tools and they make a gizmo with usb charging outs.
So I plug that in to it.
My tripod is simply a cheap marts of wall acquired model.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 3:03:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Old school tag. I just bought a LabRadar because of this thread. Can't wait to offload my Magnetospeed.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#21]
LabRadar is awesome!

Attachment Attached File

This morning was the trial run.  I made do with regular batteries and a really cheap tripod I had that came with a cheap spotting scope.

Battery pack is inbound.  Also a trigger.  I’m going to grab a Harbor Freight Pelican-clone Apache case this weekend.  

Definitely need a better tripod/mounting plate.

I was able to grab a lot of data.  Trying pistols it occasionally missed picking up a shot.  I’d fire a string of 5 and end up with 4 readings.  No idea why, but not a huge issue.  

But this was a huge success.  I was able to fully set up on a hot range and then I could zero the newly mounted scope while capturing velocity data without needing g to worry about hitting a Chronograph.  

This is going to be great for working up test loads in rifles.

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:41:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
LabRadar is awesome!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/314595/9EDFB909-B257-4DB5-980C-C15F7DAAA127_jpe-2391803.JPG

This morning was the trial run.  I made do with regular batteries and a really cheap tripod I had that came with a cheap spotting scope.

Battery pack is inbound.  Also a trigger.  I’m going to grab a Harbor Freight Pelican-clone Apache case this weekend.  

I was able to grab a lot of data.  Trying pistols it occasionally missed picking up a shot.  I’d fire a string of 5 and end up with 4 readings.  No idea why, but not a huge issue.  

But this was a huge success.  I was able to fully set up on a hot range and then I could zero the newly mounted scope while capturing velocity data without needing g to worry about hitting a Chronograph.  

View Quote

I have found that I have to try and play with velocity range. There is overlap but depending on what I'm shooting it usually prefers to be kept on pistol velocity range for whatever reason.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 6:01:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
LabRadar is awesome!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/314595/9EDFB909-B257-4DB5-980C-C15F7DAAA127_jpe-2391803.JPG

View Quote

@AeroEngineer

The best tripod I have found that converts to the most different positions from flat on the ground or shooting table to standing next to the table to free standing for standing shots is the Vortex summit..its really light, the center pole splits into 2 pieces to allow it to get closer to the ground.My buddy did the Labradar flat plate..its on as long as the ground is smooth where it sets and you don't need it any taller than it is, other wise you need it and a tripod..he has since gone with the summit for his as well...I removed the summit mount piece and replaced it with a Neewer
ball mount that uses standard Swiss-arca mounts..it was like 20 bucks off eBay or amazon, everything I own uses Swiss-arca, from spotting scopes/range finders/labradar/rifle/bipod so that I can use anything with anything...

Attachment Attached File

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-summit-ss-p-tripod.html
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 6:10:38 PM EDT
[#24]
JKL trigger with the magnetic mount.
I’ve used it for .50 BMG down to .22.

A couple of small usb battery packs, but they last a while.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Any suggestions on a cheap tablet that will connect to the Bluetooth version of Lab Radar?

My Note 20 won't connect

Thanks ??
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 8:34:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Any suggestions on a cheap tablet that will connect to the Bluetooth version of Lab Radar?

My Note 20 won't connect

Thanks ??
View Quote

I use an old I-Pad, plus my I-phone does as well....don't know of any small android types that do...
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I use an old I-Pad, plus my I-phone does as well....don't know of any small android types that do...
View Quote

Thanks,  was using my wife's android tablet today. It connected but was dropping out during middle of strings. Having to reestablish connections via Bluetooth.

It's tons better/simpler using Bluetooth device compared to interfacing with the buttons and menu on the Lab Radar itself
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 12:36:09 PM EDT
[#28]
You can go on fleabay and buy an old Sprint phone in great condition for next to nothing as Sprint phones are useless now with TMobile merger, I use a galaxy s5 which was my phone until
the tmobile merger.   I never was one to upgrade a perfectly good phone until it broke, I only use a phone for calls and tethering.

edited.  Forgot to add, the Galaxy s5 has a user replaceable battery which is a great benefit.  Last thing you want is to get a device without a user replaceable battery and have the battery go bad.

If you get something even older than that, make sure it meets the minimum android version required, look it up on labradar site.  Delete everything off it(factory reset), load the labradar app and you are good to go.
Mine has Android 6 on it, I have it in airplane mode and turn on the bluetooth.  If you don't put it in airplane mode it will be trying to connect burning up battery and causing other problems
with built in bloatware apps trying to communicate.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#29]
You need to find a truly repeatable way of aiming the labradar that is very accurate.  Just a little off makes a big difference, especially if there are any features
challenging to radar where you shoot.

I have a challenging to radar range(lots of backscatter), both my 110 yard target spot and my 55 yard target.  I had many emails full of pictures and yardages
with Labradar before purchasing making sure it would do what I wanted, I don't care about long range tracking.

The yardages on my two firing spots are just coincidence,
one is a red clay 7 foot wall going up to a bench just beyond my barn and at the base it is exactly 110 yards to my shooting position on deck.
The 55 yards is hanging between two way over 100 year old beech trees at edge of steep drop off to a draw in the woods on the side of my house from deck.
Kind of bizarre they ended up that way.

Signal to noise tracks from my testing using a .22 air rifle to get best tracks/data.  I shot dozens of pellets at a long distance aimpoint and a grid around that aimpoint.  
Muzzle in exact same spot for every shot, Labradar untouched during entire time, armed and disarmed with phone.
edited, hmmm.. on preview the pic showed up, guess it is too big, click on the link for SNR tracks

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top