Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2018 10:38:18 AM EDT
As a LabRadar user, I've basically had two main challenges with it.
1) The interface is just bad.  (fixed by new Bluetooth App?!?   Very excited by this development)

2) Mounting it.  The darned thing is huge, and top heavy; basic inexpensive tripod systems struggle to securly hold it well, and keep it well aligned.  Short answer, after trying a bunch, here's what I've found to be the best low-cost mount for my LabRadar.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D76RNLS

It's $20, and uses a high strength spring that you depress with the button, rotate the ball as desired, and release the button, and it locks into position.  Most tripod mounts have wiggly legs, and way too weak of a ball/spring system - and this is the only one I've found so far that actually works.

I have had a few other oddities with the LabRadar.  It's... finicky about memory cards.  Sometimes they just lock it up and it won't work at all.  I have one that works, but it slows down my LabRadar by about 4X normal processing speed - not really sure why.  Again, hopefully the new BlueTooth app will eliminate the need for a card at all now, and fix that too.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 10:08:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Didn't know about the Bluetooth..  I see there is a new firmware update.. if i just update that is should work with the app?
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 10:09:37 PM EDT
[#2]
The tripod that was supplied with a Leupold spotting scope has worked well for me indoors, no opportunity yet to use it from a bench or at rifle distances.

To say that these things are tippy is an understatement, the CG is sky high.

However, it is a huge advantage to be able to use it at indoor ranges where one cannot go down range to set up a chrono.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 10:37:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the tip on the tripod, I'm actually in the market. The mounting plate they sell and I was stupid enough to buy is...not optimal, IMO.

Regarding the Bluetooth app, don't get your hopes up just yet. There's a thread here and another in the precision rifle reloading section outlining some of our initial experiences with it. Not great.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 11:10:48 PM EDT
[#4]
This is the one I bought for my LabRadar.  I got it because of the 11 lbs load capacity.  It's been very stable, even on breezy days and is adjustable.

As far as the Bluetooth feature I haven't been able to get that to work.

Mactrem PT55 Travel Camera Tripod Lightweight Aluminum for DSLR SLR Canon Nikon Sony Olympus DV with Carry Bag -11 lbs(5kg) Load

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 1:46:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Bluetooth App - easy, download the firmware update (just a zip file) onto an SD card.  Pull out the 2 .bin files into root directory.

Turn off labradar.   Insert SD card,  and turn on.  Tada, updated.

Install app on phone.  Do the obvious buttons to sync and known devices connect.

Bounce around in the App some.  Find the settings, change to FPS, and other English units.

Now can start new series in app.  Can arm in app.  Can adjust all settings in app.  Can review data in App, and even see graphical tracking - very cool.

App is awesome - love it.  Wish it would let me name my data series though, I wonder if I can somewhere...
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 2:03:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bluetooth App - easy, download the firmware update (just a zip file) onto an SD card.  Pull out the 2 .bin files into root directory.

Turn off labradar.   Insert SD card,  and turn on.  Tada, updated.

Install app on phone.  Do the obvious buttons to sync and known devices connect.

Bounce around in the App some.  Find the settings, change to FPS, and other English units.

Now can start new series in app.  Can arm in app.  Can adjust all settings in app.  Can review data in App, and even see graphical tracking - very cool.

App is awesome - love it.  Wish it would let me name my data series though, I wonder if I can somewhere...
View Quote
Yep!  Did all that.  The app will recognize the Labradar but gives the communication error when it tries to connect.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 2:31:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yep!  Did all that.  The app will recognize the Labradar but gives the communication error when it tries to connect.
View Quote
Don't know, should work.

Try the basic stuff I guess:

Try a few different SD cards for the firmware update, mine's funny on what it likes.

Make sure your phone isn't bluetooth pairing already to something else in the room.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 7:07:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Do you have location services turned on?
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 8:11:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Do you have location services turned on?
View Quote
That too - be sure to accept all permisions
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 8:16:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I use a clamp similar to a "C" clamp, made for photography. Clamps on bench and is solid. It came with a ball type head on it, but I removed it and just screw it directly into the Labradar.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 10:03:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Here is another tripod that matches the color. Cost a little more.
Tripod
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top