Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2020 12:19:36 PM EDT
Hello

I recently placed an order for a LaRue small-block Ultimate Upper kit. This will be my first rifle.

This weekend I read that if you call them, they'll give you the $399 deal for a Tranquilo that they offer for the large-block UU.

If it were just a matter of $400 I'd be all over it, but add on the $200 for the stamp, and it's at a cost that I need to consider all options. I don't want to drop $600 on something that I'll want to replace, if I could have spent another few hundred for what I really want in the first place.

My main issue with it is the weight - I specifically went with the PredatAR barrel to minimize swing weight. It looks like there are a lot of other suppressors that only weigh half as much. Not to mention the proprietary mounting.

It would be for use on 5.56 AR-15, and eventually .308 or 6.5CM bolt rifle and 8.5" 300BLK, and possibly 9mm handguns (though that is a small consideration).

One of the ideas that draws me toward the LaRue (aside from the price) is the low backpressure. On threads here, users state that there is minimal additional gas released when running the suppressor vs not running it.

For now, best suppression doesn't override all other factors, as I do not intend to shoot without some form of hearing protection. At some point, I'd like to get an SBR stamp for a 300BLK, and it would be mounted there when at home, so decent suppression would be nice for that. However, useability (light, compact, reduced backpressure) weighs heavily in this decision, given that I would then be more likely to actually use it.

So, in terms of all the factors (particularly backpressure and weight), how does the LaRue Tranquilo compare to other offerings on the market? Given the pricing of everything, it sounds like it's the best value ($399 bundled with UU Kit + $200 tax stamp), but I would like to ensure there isn't something that I would like more for only a couple/few hundred dollars more.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 2:10:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Back pressure should be fairly good. Weight? It’s gonna suck major dick
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 2:15:13 PM EDT
[#2]
There will be folks along shortly who have the same criticisms of the Tranquilo, none of them own one. They’ll tell you it’s heavy (it is) and that it looks like a dildo. Frankly, my TQ looks like any other 30cal can when it’s wearing a suppressor cover.

There is almost no blowback with a TQ, it’s fantastic in that regard. The collet locking system is absolutely outstanding. When properly installed that can isn’t going anywhere. I shoot my TQ on multiple gas & bolt guns, each has an identical and repeatable POI shift. (1mil low on center)

My 6.5 Creedmoor guns are pleasant to shoot without ear pro when not under an awning of some sort, the tone of the TQ isn’t harsh either. It’s a very pleasant sound. 5.56 gas guns aren’t quite heating safe but they are still very enjoyable to shoot.

The weight?  I don’t give a crap about the weight. I don’t notice it on my 12” SBR and I certainly don’t give two shits about it on my PRS guns.

At $399 you will not find a better suppressor on the market. Anyone who says anything different makes excuses when the $2,000 AR they bought bends when dropped.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 3:13:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I’d buy a Resonator instead personally.
But variety is the spice of life!
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 8:24:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’d buy a Resonator instead personally.
But variety is the spice of life!
View Quote

I would be really torn between the two, considering how close they are in price. In the end though, I'd probably go with the YHM Resonator primarily due to the weight, but at that price it's hard to go wrong with either one.

I do admit the Tranquilo would be tempting, just to have a complete Larue rifle.

The correct answer, as always, is to simply get both!
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 10:00:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I have my tranquilo on order along with my UU so I can’t offer any practical help but it seemed to be a no brainer for me. That being said, another part of the equation is that the tranquilo seems to be backordered by a few weeks/months so it’s going to take some additional time to actually get to your dealer before you can even begin the ATF wait. I imagine other can manufacturers might be able to get them to your dealer quicker than LT.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 10:04:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I made a thread about this a few months back. I decided not to go with one because I’m already heavily invested in dead air mounts and I’m not a fan of the locking collar thing. Seen too many problems with ASR mounts. But I do think it looks sexy.
There is a guy on here called thiswildandventure and he seems to love his.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 11:20:30 PM EDT
[#7]
For $600 including stamp I'd fo.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 7:38:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top