Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2019 2:41:04 PM EDT
Does the standard LIF that can be found virtually anywhere fit the PVS-15? Mod Armory and Own the Night list the LIF and PVS-15 as being compatible but I've heard the 15s use a different one that is hard to source. Which is it?
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 10:21:33 PM EDT
[#1]
There might be a problem with thread availability, but I think most of those lenses have the same thread on the front of the lens. If there's enough thread to install a LIF, it will probably screw in just fine, though it will definitely still stick out.

Though, as is always asked, why do you need a LIF? Unless you're hanging out at night with a bunch of people with green laser pointers, you probably won't get the benefit, and the LIF has no effect at all on the kinds of lasers and IR lights most people install on their rifles.

Sacrificial lenses are still cheaper and easily replaced. If you even scratch a LIF, it's no longer serviceable, and it loses something on the order of around 99% of it's effectiveness.

David.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 11:04:57 PM EDT
[#2]
No one has a set of PVS-15 with LIF? Need to know!
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just an FYI....LIF's only filter out green lasers, not red or IR, so if you are getting them for FOF stuff it'd be a waste of $$$
View Quote
Thanks guys. I’m borderline shocked no one seems to know the answer to this. Hoping someone with a set can take a LIF and screw it in and take a picture.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 12:12:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just an FYI....LIF's only filter out green lasers, not red or IR, so if you are getting them for FOF stuff it'd be a waste of $$$
View Quote
So own the night doesn't mention it only filters Green Lasers... So what's the truth on the matter? Or is that aTNVC secret?

Own The Night LIF
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 1:32:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

So own the night doesn't mention it only filters Green Lasers... So what's the truth on the matter? Or is that aTNVC secret?
View Quote
Actual performance of military LIFs is classified SECRET. (has nothing to do with TNVC)

Which means absolutely nobody here is going to tell you the exact wavelengths or optical density.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 2:47:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Own The Night LIF
View Quote
Green lasers (532nm) are the big hint. Dielectric band reject filters have a response at the fundamental and the second harmonic. Green is the second harmonic. Fundamental is 1064nm which is where a lot of (older) military laser range finders and target designators operate. These filters have negligible attenuation in the 800nm and 900nm range.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 10:58:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 10:58:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 12:05:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Green lasers (532nm) are the big hint. Dielectric band reject filters have a response at the fundamental and the second harmonic. Green is the second harmonic. Fundamental is 1064nm which is where a lot of (older) military laser range finders and target designators operate. These filters have negligible attenuation in the 800nm and 900nm range.
View Quote
It's worth noting that they went to a lot of trouble to make the LIF stop as little light as possible in the visible and NIR spectrum.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 3:12:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Actual performance of military LIFs is classified SECRET. (has nothing to do with TNVC)

Which means absolutely nobody here is going to tell you the exact wavelengths or optical density.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, it was a secret. Until the China/LIF thing
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 8:48:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well as I type this I'm holding an LIF and a MAWL...…..green is filtered with almost 0 pass through, IR not so much when viewed under NODs
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Own The Night LIF
Well as I type this I'm holding an LIF and a MAWL...…..green is filtered with almost 0 pass through, IR not so much when viewed under NODs
So when you say not so much, like it wouldn't protect you at all if you're ur buddy flagged your Nods with a Perst-3 full power laser? I'm generally curious. I always used the LIF while working around Tanks and Brads as they had lasers for ranging the weapons system (what the LIF is stated to protect against). But knowing that dismounted Enemy Infantry are likely to have individual weapon lasers as well; would the LIF not protect against them at all?
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 9:14:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So when you say not so much, like it wouldn't protect you at all if you're ur buddy flagged your Nods with a Perst-3 full power laser? I'm generally curious. I always used the LIF while working around Tanks and Brads as they had lasers for ranging the weapons system (what the LIF is stated to protect against). But knowing that dismounted Enemy Infantry are likely to have individual weapon lasers as well; would the LIF not protect against them at all?
View Quote
No protection whatsoever. Attenuation is negligible in the 800nm and 900nm range.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 9:31:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Holy shit- has anyone confirmed for the OP that it fits?
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 9:40:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Holy shit- has anyone confirmed for the OP that it fits?
View Quote
LOL

Nope. I didn't ask a thing about what a LIF does or why I want one.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Jesus... Think about it, what wavelength of light to gen 3 I2 tubes intensify? Ah yes we shall block a big chunk of that light. Oh wait now you also cant see YOUR own laser...
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 8:53:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

LOL

Nope. I didn't ask a thing about what a LIF does or why I want one.
View Quote
Starting a LIF thread inevitably will end with people arguing about what they do and why they are "worthless" LOL.

According to this: https://www.modarmory.com/product/itt-nvg-light-interface-filter/ it will fit.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 9:01:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Starting a LIF thread inevitably will end with people arguing about what they do and why they are "worthless" LOL.

According to this: https://www.modarmory.com/product/itt-nvg-light-interface-filter/ it will fit.
View Quote
It’s wrong.  A pvs14/Anvis lif will not fit a 15.  It comes down to where the starting point of the threads are.  Compare a 15 sac lens to a Lif and you will immediately see why.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 9:47:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It’s wrong.  A pvs14/Anvis lif will not fit a 15.  It comes down to where the starting point of the threads are.  Compare a 15 sac lens to a Lif and you will immediately see why.
View Quote
Well OP, I guess that's your answer
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 1:14:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Through my own research and scouring the internet, I have found various parts lists for the 15s. In a few of them, they list the 'Adapter, LIF'. I have not found a specific LIF for the 15s. Only adapters. I have a call into L3 to see what the min order qty would be.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 5:13:40 AM EDT
[#21]
No!

They do not fit. I went with "might" but I'm changing that to "no" to avoid ambiguity.

That said, they might fit some. I expect that if there was enough thead in the lens, they probably would fit, but they won't fit on account of there is no thread to screw them into.

That's the verdict I got from checking 3 of those kinds of lenses and it wasn't possible to screw anything of the same thread as the LIF into the lens.

Now, those lenses were made by a lot of people, and I can recall seeing some that had extra thread. That being the case, they should fit.

If you want, take a close up picture of the threads in front of the lens, and if you an count at least 4 separate ridges along the thread, it's probably not going to fit. Also, there's no guarantee that all of the lenses have exactly the same inner diameter as other lenses as inner diameter isn't, as far as I remember, a part of the milspec, nor is exposed thread.

Sorry to the OP for not being specific enough in my first response -The problem is the lack of thread in the lens.

Regards
David
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 6:01:00 AM EDT
[#22]
they will not fit , I have both systems- the 14 are a 30mm thread and the Pvs 15 is closer to 32mm. Made my own, but just for shitz and giggles
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top