Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2020 9:11:32 PM EDT
A few years ago I wanted to make a L85 clone so I purchased the most realistic replica I could find and bought a 22lr host but the plan never materialized. I sold the 22 and have kept to the parts in a bin until finding them recently. I want to pick back up with the project but instead use a 9mm host.

My current plan is to use a Semi Auto MAC 9mm upper receiver.

1. Cut off the top front sight off
2. Weld the entire upper receiver into the l85 (If it can fit)
3. Find 16” Mac barrel
4. Turn down the barrel so it can mount the handguard holder/fake gas block.
5. Weld in a magazine well/ magazine release button from the original design
6. Build or weld into the l85 lower receiver, the Mac trigger group
7. Create a front connector for the upper and lower receiver
8. Put the charging handle to the side of the bolt instead of the top

I have to figure out if the Mac parts or upper receiver will fit. If you have one, can you let me know if the dimensions are close before I buy a semi Mac parts kit.

Link Posted: 4/17/2020 9:29:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a very cool project.

Which L85 replica did you buy?
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#2]
While I question your choice in precision measuring instruments, i admire your spirit, best of luck.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 10:29:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While I question your choice in precision measuring instruments, i admire your spirit, best of luck.
View Quote

I ran out of batteries for my calipers, I’ll buy more and redo it when I’m able to go to a super market . This is just a brainstorming the plan
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 2:32:15 AM EDT
[#4]
That’s pretty cool, hope it works out and wish we had a l85 option on 556
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 5:25:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Just get this

The grail
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 5:28:31 AM EDT
[#6]
There was a .22lr version/replica of the SA80 ??
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 2:51:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There was a .22lr version/replica of the SA80 ??
View Quote

No - it seems that he's saying the original plan was to shoehorn a .22lr into the non-gun/replica body.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 5:06:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No - it seems that he's saying the original plan was to shoehorn a .22lr into the non-gun/replica body.
View Quote

That was the original plan but the first picture are of a 22lr LEI made of the l85. There’s very little information on them
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 5:13:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought you had mocked that up in photoshop!

I had no awareness of such a beast until right this moment.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 7:27:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I thought you had mocked that up in photoshop!

I had no awareness of such a beast until right this moment.
View Quote

Yip - I might have known about it back in the day, but was too busy with other projects, such as going into the RAF
I know an LEI firm still exists - seem to make sound moderators - wonder if it is the same folk, likely so!

I'd spotted the airsoft type parts earlier, but the first photos were obviously of a factory made .22lr

I think there would be a market for this again - just hope IF it is made it's not monkey metal junk like a lot of the GSG made crap
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top