Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2018 10:26:48 AM EDT
Hey Everyone,

Please forgive my amateur question. I’ve been reading a lot of post and reading articles but I have not found the answer to my question(s). Maybe someone on here can give me some input.

This is what I think I know.

I hear a lot of 64-72 Ip/mm and 28-30 S/N, I also have a basic understanding of FOM (Ip/mm + S/N). I am new to concepts like EBI and Halo. I know that a higher FOM will allow more visibility in darker environments but an IR light will level the playing field.

Is the 64ish Ip/mm, mid 20’s S/N realm more realistic or is it kind of a under promise and over deliver scenario? Whats the “average” FOM a person can expect from L-3
un-filmed WP?

What am I missing?

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:00:14 AM EDT
[#1]
For those tubes?  Mid 20’s?  Hell no. 64-72 lpmm and at least 30. At least.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Probably around 1800...
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:43:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:56:47 AM EDT
[#4]
A set of DTNVGs from TNVC was almost exactly what was stated above

29 snr
72lpmm
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 10:25:48 AM EDT
[#5]
bunch of links that explain things, thank the authors for writing the information

Details on how to interpret parameters
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/348408_help_interpreting__tube_data_sheet_from_TNVC.html

Understanding basic tube parameters and their significance. - http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=18&t=348609

What is a halo, how is it formed and what does it mean? - http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=18&t=341265

ebi - was discussed in another current thread.  the effect of temp on the dark current can be seen in this youtube vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS4yu4LQJ54

note, depending on what you intend to use a nod for, you might want different specs, for instance, a tube for astronomy use,

too bad for the member that isn't allowed here, he had a lot of information
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Unless you ask for/pay for better, expect 64lp, 29-32 SNR, Halo .7  EBI .9 and a single medium or 2 tiny blems in outter edge of tube.

Halo is the amount of bloomy bright circle around bright pinpoints like stars, laser dots, headlights, etc. Less is better.

EBI is the amount of scintillation or sparkle and background glow with low light and high gain or that snowy static effect that masks detail in low light. Less is better.

Honestly, anything under 1.0 on either is great compared to older Gen 3 tubes that could have over 2.0 on those.

Halo is appearant all the time. EBI is masked by more SNR or brighter conditions. An old tube with 2.4 Halo does not make for a nice star gazing experience and makes IR lasers harder to use at longer ranges.

I think a current L3 tube crushes any pre OMNI 7 tube for view quality in general, but that still only means it is less than twice as good, perhaps 25-50% better.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 12:23:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I just wanted to say thank you to all that have replied to my questions. I have a lot more reading to do.

-Mike
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 1:41:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 6:25:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a TNVC L3 WP pvs14 and off the top of my head the specs are:

SNR 34.2
72lp/mm
EBI I want to say 1.2

Has no blems and produces an extremely nice image.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Probably around 1800...
View Quote
As mentioned, TNVC is easily 2200+. Mine is 2600+
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 7:39:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I would highly recommend that you only expect the minimum specs, anything above that would be a bonus and you will be happy. Otherwise you are setting your self up for dissapointment.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably around 1800...
I would hardly call TNVC "Typical" or "Average". Vic has a long history of weeding out the bottom of the bell curve before it gets to his customers.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 11:12:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I have several L3 filmless WP’s right now my lowest is a 64lp/29SN and highest is 72lp/34+. I’ve both out same pvs-14 housing dark cloudy night side by side and I can barely and I mean barely see a tiny slight edge to the 72/34SN vs the lower spec 64lp/29sn. Without having them side by side I won’t be able to see any difference and I do have perfect vision.

I’ve had crazy high spec pinnacle and filmless tubes in the past some in the 64/72lp 37SN zone. I quit chasing specs and started focusing on screen quality many years back. Personally, I would take the tube with the best screen cosmetics vs a tube with few higher SN digits.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 11:13:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I would hardly call TNVC "Typical" or "Average". Vic has a long history of weeding out the bottom of the bell curve before it gets to his customers.
View Quote
The ones I got 2+ years ago that did not come from TNVC are both 36.5 snr and 72 lp/mm.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:35:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The ones I got 2+ years ago that did not come from TNVC are both 36.5 snr and 72 lp/mm.
View Quote
Sure there are a lot of good tubes out there, but when people start throwing out questions like "What is typical" or "What is average" then we're talking about the entire product spread, From TNVC and a few others at one end, to ATN and Armasight and probably even Walmart at the other, and I don't think the average is going to be as high or great as people like to think.

So it's great you got some good performing equipment, but not everyone can count on getting similar specs.

And FOM1800 is about 64 lp/mm and 28 S/N... It's still considered an excellent level.

David.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 4:45:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
The question was about L-3 Unfilmed, not I-Squared in General.

We deliver what Vic orders.  That's how contracts work.
If he orders minimum 2200 FOM that's what he gets.  That is of course, just the minimum.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 5:47:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 10:36:21 AM EDT
[#18]
I stand corrected then - If the latest tubes have the average yield up that far, even for commercial sales, that's really very impressive.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 8:35:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 9:11:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hey Everyone,

Please forgive my amateur question. I’ve been reading a lot of post and reading articles but I have not found the answer to my question(s). Maybe someone on here can give me some input.

This is what I think I know.

I hear a lot of 64-72 Ip/mm and 28-30 S/N, I also have a basic understanding of FOM (Ip/mm + X S/N). I am new to concepts like EBI and Halo. I know that a higher FOM will allow more visibility in darker environments but an IR light will level the playing field.

Is the 64ish Ip/mm, mid 20’s S/N realm more realistic or is it kind of a under promise and over deliver scenario? Whats the “average” FOM a person can expect from L-3
un-filmed WP?

What am I missing?

Thanks guys!
View Quote
FIFY red should be blue.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 4:51:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Indeed, we're so happy with what we order for our customers and L3 does produce the most amazing specs we've ever seen. No sales pitch or koolaide, just based on looking at thousands of data sheets and images over many years.  They have cracked the code and cannnot wait what the future will bring.    Thank you Sir, Merry Christmas.
View Quote
Merry Christmas to you too!

Saying L3 has cracked the code is like saying that if you put a million monkeys in a room with typewriters they will eventually start pumping out Vice News articles and it's the best journalism ever. L3 sucks. They have always sucked and now that Harris can sell satellite radios with awesome L3 tech what do they give a fuck about tubes? They'll gut it like ITT, hire an army of visa workers and fire them seasonally. Photonis already has the better product, that's where the future is.

L3 sells the tubes like this: 18um, 22um so when you buy the tubes you get those minimum specs. Except the QC is shit. Edge glow from over cooked tubes and the contract leftovers are what they are selling the masses and stamping approved on everything they make.

Also, please update the astronomy thread. It's the best thread here and you take amazing pictures using tubes that no normal human enjoys. Show us more please.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 8:46:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Also, please update the astronomy thread. It's the best thread here and you take amazing pictures using tubes that no normal human enjoys. Show us more please.
View Quote
Someone needs to point me to this thread...
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 9:43:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Someone needs to point me to this thread...
View Quote
Astronomy thread
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 7:18:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 11:18:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

, Harris did acquire L3 as you know, so now you have to say Harris sucks too!
View Quote
Harris and L3 are merging.  Said merger has been announced, but not yet approved by any of the alphabet agencies (FTC, DOD, SEC, etc).  The merger will not actually happen until May or possibly later.  At this point nobody knows if the merger will go through without one of the two tube houses being divested.

Zero technology has been transferred between the two companies.  They are still separate entities.

There is at least one stockholder lawsuit claiming that the L3 stock is being undervalued at the assessed merger value that will no doubt put a kink into the whole thing as well.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 12:48:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 3:00:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Harris and L3 are merging.  Said merger has been announced, but not yet approved by any of the alphabet agencies (FTC, DOD, SEC, etc).  The merger will not actually happen until May or possibly later.  At this point nobody knows if the merger will go through without one of the two tube houses being divested.

Zero technology has been transferred between the two companies.  They are still separate entities.

There is at least one stockholder lawsuit claiming that the L3 stock is being undervalued at the assessed merger value that will no doubt put a kink into the whole thing as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

, Harris did acquire L3 as you know, so now you have to say Harris sucks too!

Interesting (as fuck)

Will be interesting to see how the future tubes turn out from this. One would think they'll be the same L3 tubes as of late....for filmless at least.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 1:22:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Harris has a serious advantage in terms of communications technology over L3. Even outside of this, there would have to be technological knowledge that one company has that would benefit the other when they bring all their tube IP together.

Keep in mind that while each could see the other's final product, the IP supporting that product has previously been a secret... Now it's all in one big pool. Indeed, I think this is going to be interesting, though I suspect it's still a few years before they start to really see the benefits.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 10:37:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Harris has a serious advantage in terms of communications technology over L3. Even outside of this, there would have to be technological knowledge that one company has that would benefit the other when they bring all their tube IP together.
View Quote
Harris has better/more secure-com.  Also GPS and satcom.
L-3 has better/more aviation, avionics, simulation, and remote sensing satellites.

Other than Night Vision, the two companies have very little overlap.

I figure it's at least 50:50 that the DOD says the merged entity will have to sell off one of the two tube houses to maintain competition.  
If so, I expect it would be the old ITT shop on the chopping block.  
Union shop (VA) vs. Right to work state (AZ) means higher labor costs.

(this is obviously speculation. I do not speak for L-3, Harris, the DOD, or the FTC)
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 9:57:33 AM EDT
[#30]
I have TNVC sentinels, but had to send them in for warranty work, the sheet for my tube that wasn't replaced was lost in the process. The sheet I got for my replacement tube is:
Sensitivity: 2156
EBI 0.3
S/N: 25.8
Resolution: 64lp/mm
Halo: 0.8
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 10:12:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have TNVC sentinels, but had to send them in for warranty work, the sheet for my tube that wasn't replaced was lost in the process. The sheet I got for my replacement tube is:
Sensitivity: 2156
EBI 0.3
S/N: 25.8
Resolution: 64lp/mm
Halo: 0.8
View Quote
These are specs for your l3 filmless wp tubes?
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 11:51:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I figure it's at least 50:50 that the DOD says the merged entity will have to sell off one of the two tube houses to maintain competition.  
If so, I expect it would be the old ITT shop on the chopping block.  
Union shop (VA) vs. Right to work state (AZ) means higher labor costs.

(this is obviously speculation. I do not speak for L-3, Harris, the DOD, or the FTC)
View Quote
VA is a right to work state. However, if they do have to sell I bet the ITT shop in Roanoke will be sold since the L3 shop is pumping out the better tubes that DOD and everyone else wants.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 3:20:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep, I got the spec sheet if you want a pic.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 8:43:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

VA is a right to work state. However, if they do have to sell I bet the ITT shop in Roanoke will be sold since the L3 shop is pumping out the better tubes that DOD and everyone else wants.
View Quote
The question is, who will want to buy it?

The US military is getting kind of picky about quality. If they start asking for S/N >30 for all product supplied, can what is left of ITT even keep up given that they seem to have killed off their research division?

The value in the product has been shown to be easily damaged by the entire Harris deal, and unless there's a market for the product post-purchase, I can't image too many companies would be looking to take what was left of ITT unless they were already heading in this direction and perhaps were already picking up some of their lost engineering.

Selling off the old ITT resources now, after L3 removes any valuable IP, would be like trying to sell off a Michelin Star rated restaurant after you've fired all the chefs...

David
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 10:19:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't post the spec sheet per ITAR, but I'm curious about those specs as well..
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 1:08:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Can't post the spec sheet per ITAR, but I'm curious about those specs as well..
View Quote
It's not ITAR... It's some other law. No one is really sure, but agree, posting photographs of the spec sheets is not a good idea. Just post the numbers in text.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 5:01:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
No I was just curious.  That seems on the lower end of the spectrum for specs.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

No I was just curious.  That seems on the lower end of the spectrum for specs.
View Quote
Is 18um on a tube referring to minimum FOM (1800)?
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 5:41:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 5:44:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 10:57:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Maybe he's reading the wrong column?
View Quote
No,  that's right from the spec sheet. The tubes don't look bad though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top