Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2020 6:16:43 PM EDT
I decided to jump into the suppressor game soon and I am debating on getting either a Knights 11.5 Upper or a SCAR 16 as my suppressed gun.  I am going to SBR either or both of them and run a 10" barrel in the FN.  So, my question is which one would suppress better?  I am leaning towards the Knights suppressor as well.  Any input is appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 6:45:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not both?

I'd pass on the KAC can though, and I enjoy an SR15 CQB. There are better cans in the market unless you are just dying for KAC for cloning purposes or something.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I actually am planning on getting both but plan on picking the one first for the suppressor use then buy the suppressor since I have to wait so long.  So, I think eventually both will be suppressed SBR's.  But I guess by the time I get the darn suppressor out of jail I will have both in hand so maybe a moot question other than wondering which one performs better suppressed.  

I am not a fan of clones so any can is good.  I am totally new to them so open to the best ones. It seemed like the lock on method of the Knights is solid, so had me looking at them.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 6:56:18 PM EDT
[#3]
The SCAR suppresses really nicely, an advantage of the piston operating system. I also agree with the above in regards to the KAC suppressor, you can do much better for less in terms of sound performance. Look at Dead Air if you want something with comparable (if not better) durability and better sound performance.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:14:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Comparing the two, my 10" SCAR is significantly louder to the shooter's ear without earpro than my SR15CQB upper with the same can.  Same goes with my LMT 10.5" upper, SCAR is louder.

Link Posted: 6/7/2020 4:58:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Just because it cost more doesn't mean it's better.

For a suppressor, YHM Turbo 2 or Turbo K

You can get one for each gun for the price of a Knights and they suppress better.

Link Posted: 6/13/2020 12:48:53 PM EDT
[#6]
@STJ

Can you share some data on your performance feedback? I’m genuinely curious as someone who runs a variety of cans and is always looking for better performance for the dollar.

TIA
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#7]
There are a few Turbo and Turbo K videos with DB testing.  Also discussions here about durability and sound suppression.

As far as Knights is concerned, it's pretty well known they are not known for sound suppression....but you can pound stakes with them.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 4:45:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Used a KAC can for work prior to returning to school and have a Turbo now...no question the YHM suppresses better.

Still have a corncob scar mark on my left kneecap though

ETA if you wanna clone something then by all means. But the KAC cans are nothing to write home about for personal use.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are a few Turbo and Turbo K videos with DB testing.  Also discussions here about durability and sound suppression.

As far as Knights is concerned, it's pretty well known they are not known for sound suppression....but you can pound stakes with them.
View Quote

Measuered with an instrument, I wholeheartedly agree.  Measured with an unprotected ear on the gun or standing away from the shooter, I cannot tell the difference between a NT4, M4-2k, SOCOM-RC, etc on similar length barreled guns other than a bit of pitch or tone.  The supersonic crack negates the level of suppression between full sized 5.56 cans.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 8:18:23 PM EDT
[#10]
KAC will have better signature reduction than any YHM can. The original turbo K is horrible at night. The K2 end cap helped with that. If you’re operating get the KAC or Surefire.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 11:43:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
KAC will have better signature reduction than any YHM can. The original turbo K is horrible at night. The K2 end cap helped with that. If you're operating get the KAC or Surefire.
View Quote
If you are operating your employer will be suppling the equipment.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Turbo K is a bargain but it's not quiet even by K standards IMO. My Specwar 556K is noticeably quieter, a little longer, and cost double.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 5:14:28 PM EDT
[#13]
My KAC SR-15 LPR is the 'best' rifle I own.  I have a lot of rifles to compare too and while the SCAR is nice, I'll take the KAC option every single time because it is simply better.  In fact, I'm probably going to sell my SCAR and buy a second KAC SR-15.

In general, I favor lighter rifles so piston rifles are at a disadvantage.  While I love the Magpul Six8 mags, the rifle I own is a bit piggish and while it works well propped on a fence rail hog plinking, it is not one I will walk around with.

A properly built and tuned DI AR-15 is a thing of beauty.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 11:25:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just because it cost more doesn't mean it's better.

For a suppressor, YHM Turbo 2 or Turbo K

You can get one for each gun for the price of a Knights and they suppress better.

View Quote

Yes, but how is backpressure, mount interface, signature under NODS?  If suppression is your only goal, the YHM is pretty amazing.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 11:11:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Knights
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 10:26:09 AM EDT
[#16]
A suppressed 11.5" KAC is tough to top.  I've got an 11.5" Triarc upper on an LMT lower.  Its gas port is something like .48 which means it only runs suppressed.  Between that fact and it running on an LMT Sopmod lower it would remind me some of a KAC.  

Pic to help your decision

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 6:18:44 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm in the KAC/KAC camp. The guns and cans are top notch, but yes, you also do pay a name brand premium.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 7:39:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I personally put far less emphasis on dB reduction in a centerfire rifle can, because chasing dBs typically results in really gassy cans. The more important parameters to me are the mount design and back pressure. As for mounts, we live in amazing times with the modular cans using SiCo threads. The DA key mount is king in these modular cans. That said, the Knights QDC mount is the absolute best in class in my opinion.

As to the OP’s question, I would suppress the SR15. I have a suppressed scar16 sbr. It’s just ok, nothing to write home about.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top