Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 4/7/2018 12:06:05 AM EDT
I read an article some time ago on waxing a knife blade after cleaning and polishing a blade.  For the life of me I can not find the article.....  Does anyone have any information on this or any article on waxing a blade after polishing???

Thanks,
specwar1
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 12:50:14 PM EDT
[#1]
ive seen some people putting wax or some sort of grease on high carbon choppers/machetes that aren't used very often.  
I put a thin coat of grease or thick oil on my 1095 Esee knives and machetes that aren't used very often so the exposed edge wont develop rust.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I use Renaissance Wax. Stinks for a day but it works very well as a protectant.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 9:06:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use Renaissance Wax. Stinks for a day but it works very well as a protectant.
View Quote
this
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 10:34:12 AM EDT
[#4]
If you are not using it for FOOD prep, you can put on it cleaner wax like Turtle Wax used on your car finish. It will last a long time. I use this on my edged carbon steel weapons. Museums use something similar but it is way more expensive. Since they are polished blades generally this allows me to polish it with the fine grit in the wax and I don't have to do much else except wipe it clean. Regular car wax works fine as well for anything else. DO NOT USE IT ON FOOD PREP BLADES.

For food prep blades I use mineral oil and a little of the wax from cheese rind. It sounds odd but I collect a bit of it as it and mineral oil can be consumed in small quantities. I just clean the wax and warm it till it is liquid to get all the food out. Then you just put it away till you need it. The mineral oil softens it and allows you to get it on the blade.

Mineral oil is used for protecting wooden cutting boards after cleaning them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 4:16:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I just started collecting/restoring old axe. Some get a high polish and some stay in cleaned but ruff condition.
I  put on Minwax, Paste Finishing wax. It builds up a nice protective coat. Does not leave a white residue like common car waxes.
I DONT think it's food grade.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 5:59:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Ive been using car wax for years.  No issues
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 8:38:16 AM EDT
[#7]
The concern with auto waxes which claim some cleaning properties are the chemicals and abrasives blended in them. If you won't put it on toast then putting it on food prep blades is equally bad albeit in smaller quantities.

Those who have blued blades in the day were also cautioned not to use them for food prep.

Plain carnauba wax with no additives would be a better choice. Transmission fluid, not so much. Give it some thought about what you would put on a blade, especially one meant for carry outdoors where the propensity of use leads to it being used for food prep.

I've seen guys gut a deer then slice up sausage later in the day for supper with the same knife, not much cleaning other than wiping it off on the leg of their pants. I've cut rubber hose, boxes, packing strap and scraped battery terminals with a knife I later used to make a sandwich.

YMMV.

In before ewwww.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 9:49:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been using Johnson paste wax on my knives for years now. Use it on carbon steel blades, brass bolsters and even wood and plastic handles as well as leather sheaths.

$6 for a pound can at Home Depot.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top