Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 4/28/2020 3:42:43 AM EDT
Looking for two blades:  a fixed and a folder.  Prefer US made but Morakniv is OK too.  Use is utility/edc/camping, and I’m not looking for a huge blade.  Budget is not high, hoping for around $100 ea, so no gucci blades.
What’s at the top of the list?  Anything to avoid, i.e. brands?
In an evening of looking I found the Buck Compadre and the Morakniv Garberg for fixed blades.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 3:47:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I like my ESEE 3 and Izula 2 for fixed. Spyderco Endura has been my go to folder for 30 years.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 6:11:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a mora bushcrafter knkfe I have been trying to kill for 2 years with no luck. Literally hammering it into shit, throwing it, batonning, etc. it won’t die. Used it as my only cooking knife for 2 months after all this. Took it to the belt sander and boom, edge good as new. I paid what’s ever like $16 for it. I should have bought a case

Get the stainless blades. Got a few of the carbon and accidentally put them through the dishwasher. Thy are all jacked up now but still sharp as hell
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 6:18:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Spyderco Para 3 LW  for a folder. Take your pick of a Mora. Could do both for a little over 100 total.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 6:06:17 PM EDT
[#4]
ESEE will cost a little over a hundred but that warranty is worth the extra money. Just a matter of what size you want. As far as folders go the Ontario RAT1 in D2 steel is a pretty solid knife for under $40. Less if you want AUS-8.

https://knifeworks.com/ontario-rat-model-1-folder-3-5-d2-blade-steel-od-green-handle/
I've got two and my only complaint is the blades have gotten stains on them but at $38 they are nearly disposable. ESEE has a similar knife called the Avispa for about the same money. It is a frame lock instead of a liner lock and has a much thinner handle. Both knives are made by the Blue Ridge Knife Company for ESEE and Ontario. As such the ESEE warranty does not apply to these knives.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:56:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ESEE will cost a little over a hundred but that warranty is worth the extra money. Just a matter of what size you want. As far as folders go the Ontario RAT1 in D2 steel is a pretty solid knife for under $40. Less if you want AUS-8.

https://knifeworks.com/ontario-rat-model-1-folder-3-5-d2-blade-steel-od-green-handle/
I've got two and my only complaint is the blades have gotten stains on them but at $38 they are nearly disposable. ESEE has a similar knife called the Avispa for about the same money. It is a frame lock instead of a liner lock and has a much thinner handle. Both knives are made by the Blue Ridge Knife Company for ESEE and Ontario. As such the ESEE warranty does not apply to these knives.
View Quote

This exactly.

An Ontario Rat Model 1 folder and Esee 3 or 4 will set you up nicely.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:44:31 PM EDT
[#6]
https://knifeworks.com/tops-brosgb-b-o-b-fieldcraft-4-625-1095-plain-blade-black-green-g-10-handle-kydex-sheath/

Another solid knife choice. Stout but not a sharpened pry bar either. I chose this over an ESEE 4 after handling the two at Smokey Mountain Knife Works.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:32:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Esee Izula 2... Just bought one and love it. Got the “survival kit” ?? package for $80 on Amazon
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Ended up ordering the ESEE 4 for $105 and the Esee Izula (with kit) for $49 instead of a folder.  Just over $150 for a US-made field knife and an EDC fixed blade, so I’m under budget on those two.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 6:06:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Capta:
Ended up ordering the ESEE 4 for $105 and the Esee Izula (with kit) for $49 instead of a folder.  Just over $150 for a US-made field knife and an EDC fixed blade, so I’m under budget on those two.
View Quote

@Capta let us know how you like them. I have never owned an Esee but hear great things about them
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 7:09:21 AM EDT
[#10]
ESEE knives are great, just a matter of what size you want.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 2:05:36 PM EDT
[#11]
You will not be disappointed both are great knifes
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 3:12:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Capta:
Ended up ordering the ESEE 4 for $105 and the Esee Izula (with kit) for $49 instead of a folder.  Just over $150 for a US-made field knife and an EDC fixed blade, so I’m under budget on those two.
View Quote

I’ve got an Izula and really like it. I EDC it quite often.

I want to get a 3 at some point.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 9:05:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:

@Capta let us know how you like them. I have never owned an Esee but hear great things about them
View Quote

Will do.  Some youtube reviews convinced me to get the Izula over the ESEE 3.  The ESEE 3 is, according to some reviews, a bit too lightly built to be a real do-all knife like the 4, but is too big to be a real EDC either.  I found those arguments convincing.
Plus I’m a whore for OD gear.
Izula OD
ESEE 4 OD
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top