Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2020 10:45:22 PM EDT
So I'm putting a new work space in at my house in the next few weeks and already my mind is inching towards things to do at the new workbench while hiding from the family.  Coincidentally I've also been interested in picking up a muzzleloader for quite some time.  Now I am far from what one would call a master craftsman; I am of average mechanical inclination and a novice woodworker.  That being said, I can follow instructions, don't f up TOO much when taking my time, and keep my tools sharp and clean.

Now, say a person was interested in building a generic, simple long rifle that may have been bringing in meat and defending a home in the last third of the 18th century in Pennsylvania.  Cherry stock, zero (or very simple) engraving, and likely no patch box (I'm thinking the Rev Era equivalent of the old Remington, Savage, or Winchester in the safe that's been stocking the freezer for forty years)... a PRETTY working flintlock.  How challenging would a Kibler Colonial kit be?
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 10:48:40 AM EDT
[#1]
First time I've seen this brand.

I have worked a few over the years from Dixon's in Pa & Track of the wolf, this seems very straight forward. There are plenty of videos to show you "how", you just need to take your time and finish it out.

Thanks for the link, they are pretty!

ETA: I am originally from Pa. To me their version of the Southern long is just a much more elegant, slimmer, less clunky, design.
Which ever way you go, you should end up with an awesomely beautiful piece of history!
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 9:15:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I built a Kibler colonial rifle last spring.  This was the first longrifle I've built and never had any problems.  Part fit was excellent.  Watch Kibler's videos and you shouldn't have much trouble.

Also check:  

American Longrifle Forums

The Muzzleloading Forum
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 10:03:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I built a 40 cal Kibler Southern Mt rifle this spring and give his kits a big thumbs up. (my thread for "Southern Mountain Rifle is complete" is still in this board with pics) During the process I actually had the opportunity to chat with Jim in person a couple of times.. Jim os a great guy to deal with. He manufactures his own locks and they are superb quality. Both his kits are top notch... IMHO they are way above anything on the market fora first rifle. Im not going to say anything bad about any other kits... Ill jist leave my opinion that Kibler kits are the best .

Definately check out his videos on youtube. He goes through the entire build on both a Southern Mountain rifle, and the Colonial rifle. pay particular attention to his videos of the finishing process.

My advise is take your time, leave your Dremel in the toolbox, get a decent Spring vice for working on the lock, and be careful installing the barrel pins to avoid chipping out wood around the pin.  I would also suggest if its in your budget, to pay for the upgraded curly maple..he has some really nice wood that will give you warm fuzzies. As was mentioned before, the Mountain rifle is a bit slimmer, but the colonial rifle is really nice in its own way. Whatever you choose, take your time, dont rush and you will do just fine.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 9:24:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I started way back then with CVA type kit guns and over the years worked up to building on pre shaped stock blanks. Last year I put together a Kibler Colonial rifle and can safely tell you it was the easiest to fit “kit” you'll find. Most of the work will be in how much time you want to spend on any decorative carving, engraving, and the level of wood and metal finish you desire.

Link Posted: 10/24/2020 11:48:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Phenomenal kits.  Built three so far, two southern mountain rifles and one colonial.  Waiting for the fowler to be released (hopefully) next year.

I am average woodworker with decent tools.  You will be fine.

What I keep rolling around in the back of my head is " Don't be stupid and turn a 1000 dollar kit into a 500 dollar rifle!!"

If you watch his videos as you go, it is really hard to mess up too bad.  ALTHOUGH, when watching his videos, he makes it look so easy.  Don't forget that he has only built about 3000 of these things through the years.   Don't try to duplicate his speed.

Doc
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I own a Kibler Colonial. It's a nice rifle, although I did not build this one. You will want the patchbox, it is that handy. And from everything I've read on building these, they do seem to be derected at the beginner level. You can decorate it as much or as little as you want and the line will still look great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top