Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2022 6:58:34 PM EDT
Hey, I read this today after I got out of work. Apparently Keltec is sending batches of rifles to the Ukraine to help in the war effort.

Anyone else heard about this?

It would make me giggle to see photos of Ukrainians manning checkpoints and exchanging fire with Russians, using RDBs. It would be cool to see that rifle getting a little bit more respect than it currently does.

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-american-gunmakers-3c5fa03742ebc5806293a84a0e2b73cd?fbclid=IwAR3mphybNTlhIFoGgL4B04QOn1SFIRpz-Pb7Iae04tps0Unq8woOegEN7ew
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 7:19:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Heard it was the 9x19mm SUB-2000.  Perhaps the suppressed version?
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Heard it was the 9x19mm SUB-2000.  Perhaps the suppressed version?
View Quote

I would imagine that they would ship out an assortment of different Keltecs. I feel like an RDB or RFB would be more useful than a SUB2000, in a war zone.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 9:43:11 PM EDT
[#3]
An RDB in 5.45x39...take my money!
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 9:57:20 PM EDT
[#4]
There is plenty of 5.56 being fired in Ukraine right now.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#5]
They had a retail order originally destined for a retailer in the Ukraine go uncollected due to radio silence from the retailer. They decided to send the retail order to the Ukraine anyway to help arm civilians. The order was for around 400 sub2000s.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 10:53:22 PM EDT
[#6]
They have pallets of firearms waiting to be sent.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 11:51:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Great find OP.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 11:51:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Great find OP.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 12:31:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They had a retail order originally destined for a retailer in the Ukraine go uncollected due to radio silence from the retailer. They decided to send the retail order to the Ukraine anyway to help arm civilians. The order was for around 400 sub2000s.
View Quote

Thats awesome.

I've seen a few pics of guys in Ukraine running Sub2ks. Suppressed, they would make handy urban insurgent weapons due to the ability to be easily concealed.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:15:34 AM EDT
[#11]
This is interesting. So does this mean that this will be the first time that a Keltec will be accruing real world battle experience?

I can just imagine making that retort to people who criticize Keltec for having no professional history. I'm someone who is critical of their construction quality, while still hoping one day they reach their incredible potential. But I imagine this kind of news would make Keltec haters bristle.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 7:54:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is interesting. So does this mean that this will be the first time that a Keltec will be accruing real world battle experience?

I can just imagine making that retort to people who criticize Keltec for having no professional history. I'm someone who is critical of their construction quality, while still hoping one day they reach their incredible potential. But I imagine this kind of news would make Keltec haters bristle.
View Quote

Bristle?  More like heads exploding.

The Sub2k is pretty simple so I'd think it would give a good accounting of itself.

Hmm...I wonder if they'd make them in 9mm Mak?
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 9:41:29 PM EDT
[#13]
It's hard to fU a sub 2k, so I think they'll fair just fine in wartime.

I would love to see the RDB get some combat experience, but I think the gas system is too complicated for the average 'armed resistance',
and they would find a way to get it all jammed up when it counted

Link Posted: 3/19/2022 10:03:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Eh..Its usually set for m193 ball.. Problems really only happen if your trying to run steel (On a brass setting)
The RDB is not as picky as the RFB (308 has ALOT of different variables) and you can run 50-75gr brass cased ammo on the same setting without touching the adjuster.

Assuming the gun works out of the box...
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Eh..Its usually set for m193 ball.. Problems really only happen if your trying to run steel (On a brass setting)
The RDB is not as picky as the RFB (308 has ALOT of different variables) and you can run 50-75gr brass cased ammo on the same setting without touching the adjuster.

View Quote

I haven't had to futz with mine once I got it set, but if Kellgren would make a gas block with 3 settings, un-suppressed, suppressed, and off, it would go a long way to making
it military ready
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:01:55 PM EDT
[#16]

I thoroughly enjoy shooting my RDB. Matter in fact she'll be making noise tomorrow afternoon. Along with the Bren 2Ms
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:38:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I haven't had to futz with mine once I got it set, but if Kellgren would make a gas block with 3 settings, un-suppressed, suppressed, and off, it would go a long way to making
it military ready
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

it military ready

But that's the thing..They aren't trying to be military ready..or get military contracts..
The whole reason the Rfb and RDB are tunable is due to their fantastic ejection systems (and no buffer system in the rear of the rifles)
Heck all most people really need to know is most ammo will still run on B+6 (or Start at B+10 and run overgassed).
Quoted:

I thoroughly enjoy shooting my RDB. Matter in fact she'll be making noise tomorrow afternoon. Along with the Bren 2Ms

Ill also be making some noise tomarrow..But..No Bren for me..
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 1:53:55 PM EDT
[#18]
SO how does this fall under ITAR? Also since we are sending stuff over there can we get the '91 import ban repealed please?
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 1:15:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
When I got my RDB Hunter, I completely forgot it had an adjustable gas system. I never did make any adjustment to it so it's running however it was set at the factory. No issues at all with that gun shooting everything from Tula 55gr to Magtech mk262.

Now my Survival I've messed with trying to get the gas tuned for softer/quieter suppressed shooting with my Turbo K. I can't shoot steel case in it or I get double feeds. I can't shoot it unsuppressed at all or it jams. That's all on me though.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It's hard to fU a sub 2k, so I think they'll fair just fine in wartime.
View Quote
Which was Keltec's first rifle, the Sub 2000 or the SU-16?

Both have been produced a very long time now. I'd think they've worked all the bugs out by now.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 11:24:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I would be nervous as hell with a Keltec over there!
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 3:27:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
When I got my RDB Hunter, I completely forgot it had an adjustable gas system. I never did make any adjustment to it so it's running however it was set at the factory. No issues at all with that gun shooting everything from Tula 55gr to Magtech mk262.

Now my Survival I've messed with trying to get the gas tuned for softer/quieter suppressed shooting with my Turbo K. I can't shoot steel case in it or I get double feeds. I can't shoot it unsuppressed at all or it jams. That's all on me though.
View Quote

How do you get double feeds? Steel too weak? I've got my RDB17 dialed in so it shoots soft with Tula .223, and I click one notch down to soften it up for NATO spec ammo. It's just crazy how quiet it is for a 5.56.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 7:53:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
How do you get double feeds? Steel too weak? I've got my RDB17 dialed in so it shoots soft with Tula .223, and I click one notch down to soften it up for NATO spec ammo.
View Quote
1) Adjust the gas until it just locks back with 1 round in the mag shooting PMC Gold 55gr.

2) Then shoot steel case and watch it double feed multiple times in two 20rd mags.

3) Profit!

Obviously, I don't have it tuned correctly for steel case so I'm not blaming the gun.

Link Posted: 3/24/2022 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It's just crazy how quiet it is for a 5.56.
View Quote
What suppressor are you using with the RDB?
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 11:01:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Deleted
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 11:06:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Sub2000 the Sten of the modern era
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 11:19:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:  Sub2000 the Sten of the modern era
View Quote

That award should really go to HiPoint.  The SUB is really more of a MAT49.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 9:31:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What suppressor are you using with the RDB?
View Quote

6" Form 1. 5 small face baffles bored at .28. Spacing at |2.25|.85|.625|.625|.625|.55|

I went to the indoor range this week and there appeared to be a pistol club shooting there. Mostly older guys. Only open bay was right in the middle I had at least half a dozen if them comment they had never heard a rifle that quiet before and asking all about it. IT is a pretty big difference vs my AR.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 9:50:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

6" Form 1. 5 small face baffles bored at .28. Spacing at |2.25|.85|.625|.625|.625|.55|

I went to the indoor range this week and there appeared to be a pistol club shooting there. Mostly older guys. Only open bay was right in the middle I had at least half a dozen if them comment they had never heard a rifle that quiet before and asking all about it. IT is a pretty big difference vs my AR.
View Quote

Wow!  That’s surprising to hear that its that quiet.  Excited to get mine out.  Will be using a Nomad L
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 11:10:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Sub2000 the Sten of the modern era

I don’t know, on the one hand my STEN runs way more reliably than any SUB2000 I have spent time with (not that the SUB is particularly unreliable, but the STEN is more robust feeling and basically never malfunctions). On the other hand the SUB2000 is the only actual tube gun in current, regular manufacture that I know of and it has that thrown together feel of the STEN.

FWIW, I believe the first Kel-Tec long gun was the SUB9.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 11:14:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I don’t know, on the one hand my STEN runs way more reliably than any SUB2000 I have spent time with (not that the SUB is particularly unreliable, but the STEN is more robust feeling and basically never malfunctions). On the other hand the SUB2000 is the only actual tube gun in current, regular manufacture that I know of and it has that thrown together feel of the STEN.

View Quote

Try random mags in your STEN and let us know how it goes.  The STEN was made as cheaply as possible, as is the HiPoint.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 11:34:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Doing some searching around, I believe you're right.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 11:38:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pretty cool.

I was pretty pleased with mine and the Turbo K. I pulled my ears off for a few shots just to see how it was and while I would never intentionally shoot any centerfire without ear protection, it is certainly OK for a few expedient shots if needed. There was no pain or noticeable ringing. Absolutely no gas in the face either. That's nice.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 10:53:46 PM EDT
[#35]
KelTec rifles have been selling in Ukrainian gunshops for over 10 years. The Sub 2000 has to be chambered in 9x21per Ukrainian law and MSRs and "hi-cap" mags have been legal to buy for decades. Here is the Sub 2000 page from Ibis gun store chain:
https://ibis.net.ua/ua/products/details/karabin-kel-tec-sub2000-kal-9x21-mm-12-28-unef/
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 5:54:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
if Kellgren would make a gas block with 3 settings, un-suppressed, suppressed, and off, it would go a long way to making
it military ready
View Quote

It will never be military ready until you can see the chamber and clear malfunctions; and Also, it needs 87 fewer screws.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 2:00:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It will never be military ready until you can see the chamber and clear malfunctions; and Also, it needs 87 fewer screws.
View Quote

87? How many do they have on those guns? Sheesh..

Also..Have you seen the Hellion? Its got a few screws visible as well (Almost though it was a keltec till I saw the name.)
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 12:24:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

87? How many do they have on those guns? Sheesh..

Also..Have you seen the Hellion? Its got a few screws visible as well (Almost though it was a keltec till I saw the name.)
View Quote

It's like 18 or so per side I think.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 2:22:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It's like 18 or so per side I think.
View Quote

Less if your running the aluminum handguard so its just the receiver :P
(As low as 6 per side on the RFB and MDR)
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 10:13:14 PM EDT
[#40]
I enjoy my RDB17 but I'd rather have my 11" Bren 2Ms instead

Both have had zero malfunctions but the Bren is a military grade rifle while the Keltec is not.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 10:30:44 PM EDT
[#41]
I mean..looking at whats being used in Ukraine..Im not sure how much military grade matters
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I mean..looking at whats being used in Ukraine..Im not sure how much military grade matters
View Quote
I think for them it's the prototypical SHTF scenario, just without zombies/aliens.  They are using anything that shoots.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top